The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   All opinions welcomed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18793)

HighwayUFO 05-20-2004 02:53 PM

All opinions welcomed

Do you think the Spoiler on the SVX makes it or breakes it.

I think that it looks fine either way, butthe spoiler just seems to fit with the lines of the car.

I'm sure this has been discussed a few times before, but I'm starting this thread anyway.

Keith

manofmayo 05-20-2004 03:06 PM

should have had 1 more choice: Looks good with or without spoiler

LarryIII 05-20-2004 03:09 PM

The original design from Guigiaro did not have a rear spoiler. FHI/Subaru wanted one. That's part of the reason for the "falling out" between Ital Design & FHI.
The SVX show car had a much different spoiler (which I love) than the production car. It flowed toward the back from the quarter panel under the rear side window.

Chiketkd 05-20-2004 03:09 PM

The USDM SVX spoiler looks 'perfect' on the car. The JDM version is a little so-so for my tastes...

Either way, I love subtle spoilers on cars. Gawdy ones like those on the STI/Evo/SRT-4 are only good (IMHO) if they're functional! :D

-Chike

SVXer95 05-20-2004 03:16 PM

I like both really. I think without the spoiler, the car appears 'lighter'. I especially like the JDM spoiler.

Mr. Pockets 05-20-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
The original design from Guigiaro did not have a rear spoiler. FHI/Subaru wanted one. That's part of the reason for the "falling out" between Ital Design & FHI.
I have never seen anything to substantiate this claim. ItalDesign did the design study. Then Subaru fit a car underneath, changing a few things about the styling along the way. This happens every day in the automotive world. I have never heard anything from either ItalDesign or Subaru that there was any kind of dispute over the spoiler.

Anyway, I think they did fine with the spoiler. It adds visual weight to the rear of the car and it complements the shape of the rear deck nicely. So I, too, would like the option to say, 'I like it both ways.'

drivemusicnow 05-20-2004 04:49 PM

Both the SVX and the Evo/STi spoilers are functional... more so with the sti, but some people have noticed a fair amount of down force at speed with the SVX spoiler.

NeedForSpeed 05-20-2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
The USDM SVX spoiler looks 'perfect' on the car. The JDM version is a little so-so for my tastes...

Either way, I love subtle spoilers on cars. Gawdy ones like those on the STI/Evo/SRT-4 are only good (IMHO) if they're functional! :D

-Chike

Add Toyota Celica and Acura RSX A-Spec to the list of BIG factory spoilers, becoming more common each day.

Big factory spoilers are okay with me, as Factories invest many hours and dollars designing and producing them.

I thought they were functional, for Rally cars, to help push the ass end back down when the car is in flight? Wow, that's technical!

The gawdy 'erector-set' spoilers are the pieces I dislike.

SVX, looks great with or without factory spoiler. My car is wingless.

Crash 05-21-2004 01:36 AM

the one i saw on the proto was flawless. The way it blended in and yet was defined. I wish they kept it that way, but the one on there looks almost as good. I am still torn which way the car looks best -with or without. She so hot I like her ass both ways.

Alycone 05-21-2004 03:02 AM

I want a with-or-without option too.

b3lha 05-21-2004 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it looks fine either way.

dcarrb 05-21-2004 06:32 AM

It seems every other car on the road these days has a spoiler of some description, all of which are essentially decorations on street machines running anywhere near legal speeds. (All the more reason to prefer an SVX sans spoiler.)

I'm no aerodynamicist (as you'll soon see), but it's hard to imagine how the typical wing cross-section of an SVX spoiler could provide any meaningful downforce. For comparison, consider the spoiler angle of attack (blade or wing-type) on race cars. It's primarily the angle that gets the work done, and race teams must strike a compromise between optimum downforce and angle-induced drag.

My car's character changes dramatically at speeds of over, say, 70 MPH. The ride becomes smoother, the car seems to settle, and I imagine it actually becoming lower to the ground. As it has no spoiler, I'd attribute these characteristics to a well-engineered suspension system.

dcb

Earthworm 07-02-2004 01:37 PM

Since the majority of SVX's I see have a spoiler, when I see one without it it looks as though something is missing.

mikecg 07-03-2004 08:06 AM

SVX looks good.(period) The only SVX that doesnt look good is a totaled SVX.

ensteele 07-03-2004 09:24 AM

I think that it looks good either way, but I prefer the spoiler look - especially when it is moved back about 2". :)