The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Paint Job (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1220)

sk8ing19 08-17-2001 09:44 PM

Paint Job

Okay so the clear coat is coming off the rear of the car and it is driving me crazy. Infact the pait all around could be redone. So I was wondering what people are paying to have their SVX painted. I want to keep it the same color and it to look better then good. Also what kind of shops do you recomend.

Thanks
Chris

Seraph 08-18-2001 10:05 AM

I have been thinking of repainting my car. Unless you can get it done right, do NOT do a colour change. It will look ugly and you want to make sure that all the tiniest parts of the car is covered.

A good paint job can run you into thousands while a crappy one you can get from maaco for around 200 + TAX.

Lwin

eddycat2000 08-18-2001 10:44 AM

Paint

I know this is out of the question for you, just because of the distance involved...but I have met the best paint guy I have ever seen. He works at a dealership up here, and the only complaints he gets from customers is that when he does a partial paint job, a bumper or fender or something, his work looks so much better than factory that the customer wants to have his whole paint job warrantied. I've seen alot of his work, and it is just freaking awesome. He did all the prep work and painting on his old (60's) ford galaxie and it looks better than showroom perfect!

Sorry he's so far away, and that I can't throw him some more work.

Red SVX 92 08-18-2001 07:31 PM

I had mine repainted from teal green to Mustang Laser Red... It's a nice tri-coat with pearl or something in it... Very nice.

The place that did it for me charged $980.... and they did an incredible job. Everything visible, with the exception of some parts of the engine bay were repainted. Doorjambs, the lining of the trunk... the lining of the engine bay... they even painted some black rubber areas on the car to make everything look more unified, such as the sunroof liner. To this day, it's still a great-looking job.

There's very little green left on the car, and it's all in the engine bay.... Heck, I notice the underside of the carbon fiber hood (kinda cheap looking) more than I notice the green on the car, because it was so well done.. the green looks like it should be there.

Seraph 08-18-2001 07:54 PM

980 sounds resonable to me for a colour change -- if they did a great job.

Lwin

htyei 08-19-2001 12:26 AM

color change

where did you get your paint job in LA?

I might get one in a year after I figure out what to do with the dents.

Red SVX 92 08-19-2001 01:54 AM

Actually, htyei, it's in Sacramento.... and with minor dents, after the paint, they'll be gone due to the sanding. Bigger dents can either be pulled or filled in. When I got the car painted, they took care of the dents too, but I mainly had tiny ones though. But I've gotten many compliments on the job..... One guy who was interested told me that for the quality, he had been quoted $2000 at other shops.

I really liked the paint job, and plan to do the next paint job with them as well. I recommend them to whoever is interested in painting their car.