The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels / Tires (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Wheel spacers? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56434)

sheldonmaul3 01-24-2011 09:37 PM

Wheel spacers?

Ive started doing a few mods from my car..and ive been thinking about putting wheel spacers on for a wider stance and more muscly look.
Has anybody done this or know anything about it??

Thanks!

Blacky 01-24-2011 10:01 PM

Re: Wheel spacers?

Not a good idea. The SVX has high offset wheels and by putting spacers behind them you will most likely end up with a tire rubbing problem.

Manarius 01-24-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 667604)
Not a good idea. The SVX has high offset wheels and by putting spacers behind them you will most likely end up with a tire rubbing problem.

In addition to that, wheel spacers put extra pressure on lug studs and wheel bearings. On a car with at least 13 year old studs and already stressed out wheel bearings, wheel spacers are just not a good idea.

Gamesy 01-24-2011 10:39 PM

best reference is looking at the STI's since we can use those

Crazy_pilot 01-24-2011 11:43 PM

What wheels are you running right now? I have the gold BBS rims from an STi on mine, which are 17x8 with a +53 offset and running a 245/40 tire. That puts the outer edge of my tire ~15mm farther out than stock. My car is also much lower than stock and I have no rubbing issues. I'm convinced that with the appropriate fender mods (rolling the inner lip and trimming the plastic wheel well skirt back), and some uber stiff suspension the SVX could run some very wide wheels, probably up to 275's in the rear. As stated though lower offset wheels/spacers put added stress on the wheel bearings... On a car that already has a reputation for eating them.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...0/photo_6_.jpg

benebob 01-25-2011 02:19 PM

Doing a 3/8 inch wheel spacer in the front really helps with the oversteering issues of the front heavy SVX. You don't want anything on the rear as you want it to rotate more than it does stock. Besides, the rear bearings won't like the added pressure too much. As was already stated you are putting a bunch more pressure on the studs so you would want to replace them. Look for VW longer hardened studs. They are the same as the SVX studs. Putting them in isn't exactly easy as you either need to take off the ABS tone wheel or break it off and ditch abs. With 3/8 we exerienced no rubbing. We used up to an inch spacers up front btw but that would involve lots of work.

Of course if your looking for "the look" then widening the front and not the rear isn't gonna give you a wider appearance but it will be functional and purposeful. Not just your version of a double decker rear spoiler.;)

Blacky 01-25-2011 04:42 PM

I'm sure you meant understeer.

benebob 01-25-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 667667)
I'm sure you meant understeer.

yip, fingers and mind weren't on the same page.;)

dynomatt 01-26-2011 06:05 PM

I've fitted 20mm (about 3/4 inch) spacers and longer studs to the rally car. I needed them to fit the 15" wheels over the brakes.

I used NICE products parts. fitted the studs when I had all the hubs apart for wheel bearings.

No problems so far and I can guarantee I'm loading them up more than they should be.

M

svxfiles 01-26-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 667653)
Doing a 3/8 inch wheel spacer in the front really helps with the understeering issues of the front heavy SVX.
You don't want anything on the rear as you want it to rotate more than it does stock.
Look for VW longer hardened studs.
They are the same as the SVX studs. ;)

HMMmmmmm,
Thanks Ben!;)

benebob 01-27-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 667777)
HMMmmmmm,
Thanks Ben!;)

You already have that stance and more with those racing wheels.

svxfiles 01-27-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 667792)
You already have that stance and more with those racing wheels.

I know, I was thinking about the Claret.;)
Its running 17 X 8s if I remenmber correctly, but I don't remember the offset.:o

Johnybeas 01-31-2011 02:30 AM

if you want stance put on coilovers get custom widebody done and throw on some fat wheels don't just use spacers n f **** up.