The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I the only loser who prefers the US spoiler?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37556)

jman050 02-18-2007 06:36 PM

Am I the only loser who prefers the US spoiler??

Im trying to decide whether or not I want to go with a JDM spoiler but I honestly think i prefer the US version. From behind the JDM is more attractive but from the side it just doesnt follow the lines of the car as well. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Amish 02-18-2007 06:48 PM

Am I the only loser that doesn't know what the difference is?

Tell me which spoiler is on the car I own and I will tell you which one I prefer. I have a '92 and I think the one on my car is perfect. If I had your car I'd say that one is perfect.

lhopp77 02-18-2007 07:18 PM

No

No, you are not the only one that prefers the US style stock spoiler. I actually think the vast majority do, but most are not very vocal about it. Now if they had one like the original concept car I think most would prefer it, but until then I have seen nothing that beats stock. :D

Lee

etz bseder 02-18-2007 07:20 PM

I don't even know what the JDM one looks like. especially compared to the U.S.

I've only seen one other SVX and it was at night and really dirty.

svxxx26 02-18-2007 08:27 PM

I like them both :rolleyes:

I even like the spoilerless ones. I wish the spoiler had a quick-detach option so I could change it depending on what mood I'm in :D

Speedklix 02-18-2007 09:12 PM

the JDM one "hugs" the trunk lid bolting to the sides, instead of mounting to the top of it.

I think the angles it makes from the side are confusing. if it simply continued all the way to the front of the trunk lid the lines might agree.

ensteele 02-18-2007 09:48 PM

I like the US spoiler as well. I do like it when it is moved back 1 to 2 inches. It just looks better to me.

The only thing I am thinking about putting a JDM spoiler on is my JDM RHD SVX. I think that it should be used on that car because it is a JDM car. :)

momzsvx 02-18-2007 11:59 PM

I like the U.S. version. The trunk lid looks naked w/out one.

SubaRyu 02-19-2007 12:10 AM

I like both JDM and US ones. But I guess the JDM one is bit large, kinda reminds me of F40 when I saw it in person. Depends on the color but I like wingless as well. My old '92 pearlie didn't have the wing. It looked perfect. I once took the wing off from my '96 bordeaux it did not look right.

svxistentialist 02-19-2007 03:23 AM

I think the cars look better without the rear wing, so I am "One of the few proud" above:rolleyes: :)

Between the US wing and the JDM, I would prefer the US style.

I am sure not all colours look good without the wing, I would accept the comment on the bordeaux above. Against that, later bright silver cars look particularly pleasing without a rear wing.

Nobody that I know has tried this yet, but I feel the SVX would look good wearing the small discreet lip spoiler that BMW uses on the 3 series coupe. I do mean last model, not the new one just out. I figure even the length would be perfect.

Joe:)

dcarrb 02-19-2007 05:18 AM

Having an SVX with a wing for 6 months now, I've decided I prefer the wingless look, too. I don't think the wing looks awful, but it adds visual clutter to an area of the car that's aready a bit busy. It's a bolt-on decoration intended to make the car look more sporty, and that's lame. Plus, as a purely practical matter, I hate the weight the thing adds to the trunk lid.

dcb

ensteele 02-19-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Having an SVX with a wing for 6 months now, I've decided I prefer the wingless look, too. I don't think the wing looks awful, but it adds visual clutter to an area of the car that's aready a bit busy. It's a bolt-on decoration intended to make the car look more sporty, and that's lame. Plus, as a purely practical matter, I hate the weight the thing adds to the trunk lid.

dcb

The spoiler is functional and I can tell a difference at speeds over 100 mph. (is was done leagally) The car seems more solid with the spoiler. I have not tried this with one that has been moved back 2", or the JDM spoiler. :)

etz bseder 02-19-2007 12:17 PM

Is there any way i could talk someone into posting a picture or two showing the difference?

ensteele 02-19-2007 12:34 PM

I will see what I can do. :)

dcarrb 02-19-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
The spoiler is functional and I can tell a difference at speeds over 100 mph. (is was done leagally) The car seems more solid with the spoiler. I have not tried this with one that has been moved back 2", or the JDM spoiler. :)

Uh-oh, we've had this debate here before. I don't question what you're feeling your car do at speed, but the SVX wing is just not sized, shaped or angled in such a way to provide any beneficial downforce. My guess is it increases drag and provides zero aerodynamic benefit.

Or not.:D

dcb