The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Radiator cracked: engine overheated: now I've got an intermittent clicking. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12776)

curlykicker 08-24-2003 03:32 AM

Radiator cracked: engine overheated: now I've got an intermittent clicking.

Yeah, that "click click click click click" that most of us know. I've used 3 quarts of Gunk's Valve Medic and it goes away but comes back intermittently. What additive should I try next? Add a 1/2 quart of ATF? Or the half quart of that Mystery Oil stuff? Or what? Any suggestions?

Or maybe I permanently damaged a valve from the overheating or something else. Any thoughts?

(The radiator, water pump, oil pump o-ring, and crank shaft seals have since been replaced.)

curlykicker 08-27-2003 06:50 PM

Last night I was driving around and the sticking valve went away. When I started it up today there was some slight sticking and I could hear a little click.

Anyone have any thoughts?

elninoalex 08-27-2003 07:33 PM

What oil do you use? I normally use Red Line, Amsoil and Royal Purple exclusively, but I was cheap one time and put in Castrol high mile crap. It almost immediately gave lash adjuster noise. I switched to Mobil 1 soonafter and it went away within a day.

Stephen

mohrds 08-27-2003 07:39 PM

It sounds like your flex plate may have developed a crack. Cheap part, but you need to pull the tranny to get to it.

A lot of people (me included) hear new noises after a problem. Most of the time we are just listening closer.

Doug

curlykicker 08-28-2003 03:13 AM

I've always used the same type of oil, before and after it overheating. But maybe you're suggesting that now, because of the incident, I'm going to have to use better quality oil? Hmmm...

Regarding the flex plate suggestion, I read this thread and I don't think that's the problem, simply because the ticking is at the same volume level no matter what the RPMs are or how hard I'm accelerating.

Thoughts?

mohrds 08-28-2003 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by curlykicker
Regarding the flex plate suggestion, I read this thread and I don't think that's the problem, simply because the ticking is at the same volume level no matter what the RPMs are or how hard I'm accelerating.

Thoughts?

So the tick doesn't change with engine RPM????

Then I have to go back to the drawing board... (Doug takes eraser to the chalk board)

Doug

curlykicker 08-28-2003 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

So the tick doesn't change with engine RPM????

Then I have to go back to the drawing board... (Doug takes eraser to the chalk board)

Doug

I'd like to take that same eraser to this damn tick. Came and went again today. :confused: :)

curlykicker 09-02-2003 01:15 AM

I don't know if it's related, but I also get an occasional cloud of smoke when I start up the car after it has been resting for several hours.:eek: :( :confused: At first I thought it was the remnants of the Valve Medic I put in, but now I think my valve stem seals might be toast!!! :(

Trevor 09-02-2003 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by curlykicker
I've always used the same type of oil, before and after it overheating. But maybe you're suggesting that now, because of the incident, I'm going to have to use better quality oil? Hmmm...

Thoughts?

You refer to " the same volume level ", but does the rate of the clicking (Number of clicks per minute) stay constant when engine revs change ? If there is no change a reciprocating component is not involved but no doubt you appreciate this.

curlykicker 09-08-2003 10:40 PM

The click rate (clicks per minute) does change depending on the RPMs. In fact, I'm positive that the clicks are in perfect synch with the engine RPMs.

curlykicker 09-12-2003 11:01 PM

Update:

My mechanic took a listen and says that I need my valves adjusted to correct the ticking. What do you guys think? Is that probable given the symptoms?

How much are we talkin' to get them adjusted? He says he won't attempt to do it himself. :(

wawazat?? 09-13-2003 05:53 AM

Not the valve adjustment

The EG33 uses hydraulic valve lash adjusters (aka lifters) and as such there is no need for/method of adjustment. Scratch this one off you list.

Todd

immortal_suby 09-13-2003 09:28 AM

For valve ticking first try Marvel Mystery Oil. If that doesn't cure it then the next step is one suggested by Landshark from his porsche days. A quart of tranny fluid in the crankcase, then a spirited drive for about 30 minutes followed by changing the oil.

curlykicker 09-14-2003 08:14 PM

Hey thanks guys for "sticking" with me. :rolleyes:

That's a relief to know Wawazat. I'll try the Mystery Oil in the next few days and cross my fingers.:p

curlykicker 12-18-2003 11:17 AM

Ok, I've tried the Mystery Oil, ATF, and CD2 valve cleaner. None have worked. Now what do I do? :confused: :mad: :(

Occasionally (like one in 20), when I start up the car there will be no clicking. On occasion when this happens, I'll run an experiment and immediately restart the car. Everytime the clicking will be back after I restart the car. What gives?