The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Clunk or skip?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6865)

laserx 11-07-2002 11:16 AM

Clunk or skip??

Now for my latest strange occurance. Once and awhile, only when I'm stopped (like at a light) I feel a quick thump (or jerking motion) from the rear end of my car. Hard to describe almost like it's skipping a gear or something? Only seems to be happening when I come to a stop and am ideling in gear, thanks in advance, regards laserx

cjoffe 11-07-2002 01:11 PM

I have this symptom also, but haven't diagnosed it yet. I figured it might be the tranny doing something, but then I'm just waiting for the tranny to do something bad....

CJ

Earthworm 11-07-2002 03:17 PM

I believe Aredubjay may be the expert on this one.

What it could be is binding. The center diff holds for 5-10 seconds after you stop then it "releases" and you feel a little kick.

Possibilities - Duty Solenoid C or TCU or something else

(I still have this problem but I haven't done anything about it yet. It doesn't do it with the FWD fuse in place.)

cjoffe 11-07-2002 03:22 PM

It did it more when I first got the car (about 1.5 mos ago). It hasn't done it much recently. I have a few other things to chase in the meantime.

Thanks,
CJ

victorpgaines 11-09-2002 03:59 PM

Mine has recently started doing the same thing. The mechanic I was visiting - who is admittedly not intimately familiar with Subarus, much less the SVX - thinks it may have something to do with a vibration I feel when turning. I posted this to another thread a few weeks ago - here is a version of what I am experiencing in addition to the skip/thunk.

Thoughts?!?

The sound is a "THUNK" type of feeling/sound that I feel/hear on acceleration from standstill. I don't always hear/feel it, but seems more common after the car warms. I took it back to the mechanic, because I began noticing it after the plugs were changed approximately three weeks ago. One of the mechanics went for a ride with me, but we didn't manage to elicit the sound then (of course!!). After FAINTLY feeling it once or twice, he associated it with the vibration I feel when turning (generally more than 70 degrees in any direction, significantly more noticeable at lower/parking-lot maneuvering speeds), saying that the AWD system/drivetrain must be going bad. He said this happens to Subarus - is that true?? He continued talking, saying I may as well trash it once it becomes unbearable, because it would cost a small fortune to repair, because noone would be able to diagnose it, and I would eventually replace the entire drivetrain.
=( Please tell me something better...

laserx 11-11-2002 09:11 AM

I haven't felt it again since I put in a new resistor that fixed my hard shifting (see Dealer says I need a new transmition Not thread). Granted I haven't driven it much over the weekend as I got a good dose of the flu. I'll be driving it most of today and let's see if it happens or not, regards dave

Landshark 11-11-2002 10:34 AM

how much is that resistor, BTW?

laserx 11-11-2002 01:54 PM

It was $86.96 CDN including 8% PST and 7% GST and best of all my Dealer had one in stock. regards dave