The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Damn wheel bearings!!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63143)

Huskymaniac 11-02-2014 08:03 AM

Damn wheel bearings!!!!

Since I bought the car with about 74K miles on it in late 2010 I have replaced the left rear bearing twice and the right once. The right sounds like it is starting to go again. When I did the left for the second time, Nate had suggested replacing the hub too so I did that. I also replaced the grease with Redline grease but I am not sure that was necessary as Timken claims they pack them now with the proper grease. I also don't know if I did a particularly good job. So I guess I will replace the hub with the right bearing this second time around on the right side. Maybe sitting for a year contributed to this or maybe it is because I didn't replace the hub the first time but it is damned frustrating. Hopefully I am done with this crap.

Anyone know how I can get a bearing and hub quickly? Do most dealers carry them or am I going to be forced to wait until they come from a warehouse somewhere?

92snowmachine 11-02-2014 01:55 PM

Re: Damn wheel bearings!!!!

Did you torque the nut and press the bearing properly? Do you have aftermarket axles? There has to be a reason for the failures. Maybe you have the wrong offset on your wheels.

B 4 You 11-02-2014 03:05 PM

There's gotta be a way to get STi hubs to work. We use the same bearings and lateral links and struts for the most part...

Crazy_pilot 11-03-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 737172)
There's gotta be a way to get STi hubs to work. We use the same bearings and lateral links and struts for the most part...

The trailing arms don't match, you'd need a custom one to put STi rear knuckles in an SVX. Our trailing arms are straight and come off the knuckle at an angle. The STi ones come directly forward from the knuckle and have a kink to clear the wheel. Basically the angle built into the STi knuckle won't align with the attachment point in our subframe.

Now, that being said, a trailing arm isn't a huge challenge for someone with half-decent fab skills. The non-parallel pivot points would put stress on the bushings unless a heim joint was used for the forward end to free up some motion.

Tireiron 11-03-2014 06:33 AM

The strut mounting point on a rear STi knuckle is in a different place than on the SVX also. On the SVX it is vertically above the wheelbearing, on the STi it is off to the side. This puts the STi knuckle at a really bad angle if you tried to mount it up.

However I think he is asking of the STi wheel hub and wheel bearing work on the SVX. This is something I've been curious about also seeing as we use the same 190mm parking brake assembly and can direct bolt the STi rear CV shafts in. It would be interesting to cross reference the rear hub and bearing part numbers between the two.

bheinen74 11-03-2014 06:36 AM

what about Tribeca?

Crazy_pilot 11-03-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tireiron (Post 737176)
The strut mounting point on a rear STi knuckle is in a different place than on the SVX also. On the SVX it is vertically above the wheelbearing, on the STi it is off to the side. This puts the STi knuckle at a really bad angle if you tried to mount it up.

However I think he is asking of the STi wheel hub and wheel bearing work on the SVX. This is something I've been curious about also seeing as we use the same 190mm parking brake assembly and can direct bolt the STi rear CV shafts in. It would be interesting to cross reference the rear hub and bearing part numbers between the two.

Ah right. For some reason I was thinking that the STi bearings were the bolt-in variety, but that's the fronts only. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out, just need some measurements to confirm. Does anyone have a bearing out that they could take a few dimensions off of?

bwb3 11-03-2014 08:03 AM

I am changing the rear wheel bearings on my newly purchased '94. The previous owner had them changed by the Subaru dealer less than 4,000 mile ago. However, not the hubs. I would hope they knew how to pack the grease and torque the nut. The passengers side is louder than the drivers side.
I purchased the hubs from Subaru.com and had them within a week.

Sean486 11-03-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 737183)
I am changing the rear wheel bearings on my newly purchased '94. The previous owner had them changed by the Subaru dealer less than 4,000 mile ago. However, not the hubs. I would hope they knew how to pack the grease and torque the nut. The passengers side is louder than the drivers side.
I purchased the hubs from Subaru.com and had them within a week.

How much did the hubs cost?

92snowmachine 11-03-2014 10:20 AM

2004 to 2007 impreza uses the same bearing.
Wheel Bearing I.D. : 1.654"
Wheel Bearing O.D. : 2.834"
Wheel Bearing Width : 2.054"

bwb3 11-03-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

How much did the hubs cost?
$143.96 each, plus shipping.

Gene

Scoobyru 11-04-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 737188)
$143.96 each, plus shipping.

Gene

I was told by one of my Subaru Instructors, who is a Senior Master Tech who has done tons of SVX bearings, that sometimes even the Knuckle is warped from air tightening the long bolt throw the parallel links too tightly... so when i replace my wheel bearing in the spring it will be with all included... sucks but better to be safe than sorry...

Huskymaniac 11-09-2014 05:14 PM

Is this a rear hub and does anyone know anything of the quality?

http://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-Wh...3Asubaru%3Asvx

Blacky 11-09-2014 06:10 PM

That should be an actual Subaru part. I bought an OES ball joint from Autopartsway and it came in genuine Subaru packaging with a Subaru part#.
Original Equipment Supplier.

bheinen74 11-09-2014 06:19 PM

or OES……
Old English Sheepdog

here is a head shot, she weighs 109 pounds…and that is a bar height chair at her head level.
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps5b5f2d61.jpg