The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake Brands? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51342)

wyldnwoody44 08-18-2009 05:04 PM

Brake Brands?

Its that time again. time to change brakes on the beloved SVX. I have been doing some research and Ive read that Hawk Hps ferro-carbon pads are the best out. Im also looking into putting in Drilled and Slotted rotors. Anyone have any ideas or what theyre currently using. Im looking for longevity and just a lil more bite for our heavy cars. Any input appreciated!!

trophy956 08-18-2009 07:28 PM

Re: Brake Brands?

hi i only use OEM ,I work at a dealer and people put these hi tech after market pads on then complain of a long braking time or hard pedal ,ceramic pads need 600 deg to start working so no cold stopping power ,as for rotors cross drilling and slots help with weight and releasing the gases pads create

SoCal LS-L 08-18-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophy956 (Post 614213)
hi i only use OEM ,I work at a dealer and people put these hi tech after market pads on then complain of a long braking time or hard pedal ,ceramic pads need 600 deg to start working so no cold stopping power ,as for rotors cross drilling and slots help with weight and releasing the gases pads create

Ceramic is OEM for the SVX front brakes, mine brake fine without being hot.

LetItSnow 08-18-2009 09:13 PM

I like the performance of Akebono, and they don't dust worth talkin' 'bout. The Axxis pads I have now shed dust like nobody's business. :mad:

theallpowerful 08-18-2009 09:59 PM

Im in the same boat, lets hear some brands/part numbers and maybe prices for pads and rotors.

Also, what does everyone think of these ebay rotors?

alia176 09-05-2009 03:04 PM

I use PBR pads with Brembo rotors with great success. My rims are dark so not sure of the amount of dusting though!

theallpowerful 09-05-2009 04:00 PM

I will be running Hawk HPS all the way around next weekend @ the lemons race, so I will let you guys know how those work.

wyldnwoody44 09-09-2009 05:16 AM

Im debating on geting EBC redstuff pads. The reviews were good and they are made for heavier cars over 200BHP. Anyone here ever used these? Also I was just going to get some drilled slotted rotors off of ebay, They seem ligit, just curious if anyone has found a problem with ebay brakes before i shell out the cash. Thanks

redlightningsvx 09-15-2009 04:38 PM

I'm going to bump this since my car's running ok again it's time to do some brakes and was wondering about the EBC Redstuff pads. I was oging to get both front and rear if their good.

wyldnwoody44 09-15-2009 06:44 PM

I just got the rear set of REDSTUFF in today and the fronts should be here tomorrow. I also ordered D/S rotors. Once its all put together ill let you know how they work out. It came to Approx. 300$ total for all 4 rotors and all 4 pads, and ill being doing the brakes myself

redlightningsvx 09-15-2009 07:22 PM

I'll be doing the same except adding SS brake lines and rebuilding the calipers. Let me know how they are.

viking64 09-18-2009 12:18 AM

Last year I went with EBC green stuff pads, but did not replace rotors.
So far I'd say they're good - doing the job - slightly cleaner wheels than usual.
I thought red stuff were more track related pads and not as effective when cold - thats why I went with green, more street related.

bb

wyldnwoody44 09-18-2009 11:26 AM

The redstuff are typically used more for track and fast street. But given the weight and HP of the SVX the reds are supposed to work better. I did some research and reviews before pursaching, and most people said they still had more initial bite cold than OEM. I should have everything set up withing a week or so and ill put up a review.

theallpowerful 09-19-2009 10:22 PM

Hawk HPS worked extremely well. I highly recommend them. I did change the front pads after the first day (almost 10hrs of wheel-to-wheel will do that). So the whole weekend, I went through two front pad sets and one rear (mind you there is pleanty of pad left front and rear to drive around). I was able to out-brake anyone on the track. Very good performance, for a very-good price.

redlightningsvx 10-02-2009 04:26 PM

Any update on those Redstuff pads? I brakes are the last thing on the list.