The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Different Security remotes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41072)

NiftySVX 10-03-2007 09:19 PM

Different Security remotes

Has anyone else ordered a replacement remote from subaruparts? I ordered 3 and they are different from the one that came with my 92. The button doesn't snap like the other one did, and thus the button part of it breaks after literally a few months of use. You have to really push it hard to get it to work.

mohrds 10-04-2007 09:27 AM

I have some generic remotes for daily use. I bought some pristine SVX remotes that only see the light of day for car meets :)

I bought the generics from Keylessride.com
Direct link http://www.keylessride.com/order/quo...5E6020&OER=yes

Have used them for about 2 years without fail. Range is as good as the OEM remotes and they are actually a little more durable in that the corners don't crack off like the OEM remotes.

Doug

WestCoastSVX 10-04-2007 10:29 AM

Hey Doug, I saw these on ebay a while back and was planning to get one eventually and retire my stock one for backup while it still looks decent.

I was curious about the 2 buttons, lock and unlock. As opposed to the stock remote's single button that alternates function with each press.

Do the 2 separate buttons actually work that way? IE, can you hit the "lock" button multiple times and it will only keep trying to lock the car, rather than unlocking it?

Sometimes it's hard to tell if I locked the car or not when I hit the remote, like if it is too bright outside to see the lights flash and too noisy to hear the quiet horn arming sound. So I'll hit it again, but to be sure check the door and find out I just unlocked it again.

Whereas on the GMC with two button remote I can just hit the lock button several times if I'm not sure whether I locked it or not.

processengr 10-04-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 497698)
Has anyone else ordered a replacement remote from subaruparts? I ordered 3 and they are different from the one that came with my 92. The button doesn't snap like the other one did, and thus the button part of it breaks after literally a few months of use. You have to really push it hard to get it to work.

There is probably an "o" ring around the switch, if you take it apart. If you remove the o-ring, and relocate it to behind the circuit board, it will snap like the original.

shelfy 10-04-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 497790)
There is probably an "o" ring around the switch, if you take it apart. If you remove the o-ring, and relocate it to behind the circuit board, it will snap like the original.

agreed! :D

mohrds 10-04-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 497786)
Hey Doug, I saw these on ebay a while back and was planning to get one eventually and retire my stock one for backup while it still looks decent.

I was curious about the 2 buttons, lock and unlock. As opposed to the stock remote's single button that alternates function with each press.

Do the 2 separate buttons actually work that way? IE, can you hit the "lock" button multiple times and it will only keep trying to lock the car, rather than unlocking it?

Sometimes it's hard to tell if I locked the car or not when I hit the remote, like if it is too bright outside to see the lights flash and too noisy to hear the quiet horn arming sound. So I'll hit it again, but to be sure check the door and find out I just unlocked it again.

Whereas on the GMC with two button remote I can just hit the lock button several times if I'm not sure whether I locked it or not.

I honestly don't know. My remotes only have a single button. I don't have the newer two button version, although I'm tempted to get one to see how it works.

Perhaps It's just a 2 button remote like the OEM and can be used to control 2 different cars.

I've taken my remote apart and there are actually 4 buttons on the circut board. I've tried the other three, but they can't be trained to the SVX's keyless entry system, although the transmit led does light up when you hit any of the 4 buttons. Perhaps a different frequency on the other 3 buttons?

I also have some of their remotes for my other (non-SVX0 cars and they also work perfectly.

Doug

NiftySVX 10-04-2007 01:01 PM

I've ordered one today. I think the security system itself is what would need to be changed for 2 button operation. I think the remote just sends a signal out and the module just unlocks or locks the car based the current status (ie if it is locked when it receives the signal then it unlocks, and vice versa) I'll report back when i get it.

WestCoastSVX 10-05-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 497829)
I've ordered one today. I think the security system itself is what would need to be changed for 2 button operation. I think the remote just sends a signal out and the module just unlocks or locks the car based the current status (ie if it is locked when it receives the signal then it unlocks, and vice versa) I'll report back when i get it.

That makes sense, I doubt the system would have that added functionality and then they just decided not to include a remote capable of it. But let me know what you find out. :)