The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Inline Transmission Filter (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3404)

ensteele 03-30-2002 06:03 PM

Inline Transmission Filter

I have seen pictures and suggestions on where an external canister tranny filter can be installed. It was on the passenger side near the tow ring. Now that I have my filter, I wanted to review the pictures and directions before I begin to install this, and now can not remember where the site or information is. There are so many members now, and I have looked in almost every locker, and still can't find it. If this site sounds familiar, or you know which one it is, please let me know. After a while they all start to look the same. :rolleyes:
Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Aredubjay 03-30-2002 08:11 PM

Re: Inline Transmission Filter

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93
I have seen pictures and suggestions on where an external canister tranny filter can be installed. It was on the passenger side near the tow ring. Now that I have my filter, I wanted to review the pictures and directions before I begin to install this, and now can not remember where the site or information is. There are so many members now, and I have looked in almost every locker, and still can't find it. If this site sounds familiar, or you know which one it is, please let me know. After a while they all start to look the same. :rolleyes:
Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Actually, Earl, the position is on the Driver's side, at the base of the radiator. I'll see if I can't scare up the pics.

Aredubjay 03-30-2002 08:20 PM

Earl, here's a link to a pic in my locker. This is looking straight down into the engine bay, standing on the driver's side, shooting between the radiator and the cam cover.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...dubjay/568.jpg

I don't know where you saw a how-to, but, I'm sure someone here could walk you through it.

Oh, and that is NOT my engine bay in the pic. Mine is a bit cleaner than that. :)

nubs 03-30-2002 08:22 PM

I have some pictures of my aftermarket canister filter in my locker.
It is on the passenger side.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?nubsjr

nubs 03-30-2002 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Oh, and that is NOT my engine bay in the pic. Mine is a bit cleaner than that. :)
I will be checking.:D

Aredubjay 03-30-2002 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nubs

I will be checking.:D

Okay, mr. perfection. Notice I said "a bit." It's nowhere near, "in hybernation, I only drive it to church to see an old lady on alternate sundays on weekends that have the numer 3 in them" clean. :D I still drive mine every day in any weather. :D

ensteele 03-30-2002 10:38 PM

Randy and Nubs

Thanks - but as far as the clean engine goes - hybernation in not the proper description - it's more like suspended animation - has the engine ever been started?:rolleyes: I'm impressed! But like you said before - you drive your's every day. Looks good Nubs - and thanks for the pictures, they should help. Good pictures.:)

howyadoin' 03-31-2002 02:36 PM

My educated guess is the ATF filter would do a better job on hot ATF coming from the tranny so it could capture any foreign matter before it entered the radiator/trans cooler. I have read a post recently about a rebiuilt trans being lost because the radiator may have been clogged. Also, the hose and filter possibly will cool the ATF before the ATF gets to the radiator/cooler. That's my 2 cents worth. John V

Beav 03-31-2002 03:42 PM

For what it's worth, my observations lead me to think that the Subaru filter is a band-aid for a gunshot wound. The clogged coolers were a result of the torque convertor clutch friction material breaking free and plugging the flow at the first bend in the cooler inlet. The filter that Subaru supplies is so small that now it will be the culprit rather than the cooler. I'm guessing that Subaru was in anticipation of a recall and figured that replacing the filter was a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the radiators. Face it, any other OEM would be charging a minimum of $50 for the same filter kit, why do they only charge $12?

Most aftermarket rebuilders familiar with the problem recommend not placing any filter in the system. I'm no expert but I think that if you're set on using a filter go with an aftermarket type that uses a larger filter (typically a Fram PH8A or equivalent.) At least you'd have a better chance of not just transferring the same problem from one location to another. The larger filter would probably be able to swallow a few large pieces of garbage without plugging up. However your new concern could be pressure drop. Maybe one of our resident engineers could enlighten us...

I sincerely doubt that the Subaru filter and/or hoses will pass off any measurable heat. Get a cooler, you'll benefit from it far more than any filter. Use '3' in town on surface streets and use 'D' for constant speeds above 50mph. Unless you have some dire need to not do so, back off the throttle a bit before the trans shifts when wide-open throttle. Operate your vehicle within reasonable parameters and expect reasonable reliability as a result. It's that simple. :)

Beav

ensteele 03-31-2002 07:51 PM

I have a cooler installed now, but am in the process of adding a Perma Cool filter with a Dakota digital temperature gauge. I want to be able to filter anything that might clog any of the lines within the system. I think that the filter is just additonal protection, and I want to know what the temperature of my fluid is at different driving conditions. I don't do much stop and go traffic, mostly highway driving. Thanks for all of the tips and thoughts. :)

kuoh 04-01-2002 06:51 AM

Gee, thanks Aredub. ;) I seriously need to clean that engine, but not before fixing all the other minor mechanical problems first.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Aredubjay 04-01-2002 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
Gee, thanks Aredub. ;) I seriously need to clean that engine, but not before fixing all the other minor mechanical problems first.

KuoH

Ooops!:eek: Was that your engine bay, Kuo? Sorry, I couldn't remember from where, I borrowed the pic. :D