The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AHHHHH what i feared the most has finally come (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29364)

Jaundice76 11-02-2005 07:33 PM

AHHHHH what i feared the most has finally come

well today as i was driving out of work i did a quick donut and left.. i dont think this caused my problem.. i pulled out of the lot and tried accelerating.. it took forever to get past 20...

so i stop in at a gas station.. turn it off and start it up again.. but to no avail... it sounds like a helicopter.. idling so rough.. the lights dim and stuff too.. someone thinks it might be sparkplugs.. someone thinks it might be a sensor... i dont know what to think.. it makes me sad.. could someone try to think of other problems this could be.. hopefully not tranny..

Matthewmongan 11-02-2005 07:57 PM

very well could be an alternator. check the voltage, you said the lights dim. probably wouldnt hurt to have a tune up.

Subafreak 11-02-2005 08:00 PM

I'm sorry? You pulled a donut? Is it snowing in Ohio already :confused:

Jaundice76 11-02-2005 08:07 PM

dry donut.. not snowing.. YET... but i really am depressed by this issue.. do you seriously think it could be the alt... i hope so cus if so i can buy a stronger one for my "future sound system" .. is it gonna be expensive to have looked at at a suby dealer.. i heard they are expensive as hell to fix

dwd1985 11-02-2005 08:25 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, and it was the alternator. I cant imagine anything else it would be, what you have described is exactly the symptoms of low voltage. When mine went out, I had a shop replace it, and it cost me about $500. However, since then, I have become quite a bit more handy, especially in regards to my SVX, and it is extremely simple to do it yourself, and the part is only about $250.

Jaundice76 11-02-2005 08:54 PM

ohh i sure do hope your right haha.. im a bagboy.. earning bagboy salarie... i was hoping to get rims and the headlight/grille conversion kit by summer along with subs.. but looks liek the subs are gonna have to wait in plave of a new alternator :(

dwd1985 11-02-2005 09:30 PM

Do whatever mods youd like, just dont rice it out, or most of the members on this site will band together to beat you...

Earthworm 11-03-2005 10:17 AM

Initially I thought it was the timing belt jumping a tooth.

dcarrb 11-03-2005 10:57 AM

Keep doin' donuts in your "new" SVX and you'll really be taxing your bagboy salary before long. No matter how new it is to you, it's an old car.

I was thinking maybe it jumped time, too. Spark plugs don't all go bad at once, a tanked sensor would probably give you a check engine light, and a rough idle might cause the lights to dim if the battery's below par.

dcb

NikFu S. 11-03-2005 11:46 AM

Bad alternator shouldn't keep you from accellerating unless your battery was bad or not charged.
I also think the t belt would have to jump more than one tooth considering how mine ran after a bad t belt install.

dwd1985 11-03-2005 11:48 AM

Thats not neccessarily true, because my bad alternator killed my battery, which kept me from accelerating. So it could be both the alternator and battery, like mine was.

NikFu S. 11-03-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
unless your battery was bad or not charged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwd1985
my bad alternator killed my battery,

:confused:

I once drove 40 miles at 60mph from Phoenix to Mesa with an alternator that was not charging.

SVXer95 11-03-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Initially I thought it was the timing belt jumping a tooth.

Sounds like it to me too. Though, that would not explain the lights dimming...

Jaundice76 11-03-2005 03:44 PM

oh believe me i hate ricers.. i just want some bass to my music.. but im not putting and gay ass wings and queer looking euros or anything into my car.. but this might help.. i went out and started it today.. and when i turn off the headlights it runs smoother... so its something electrical definately

oab_au 11-03-2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaundice76
oh believe me i hate ricers.. i just want some bass to my music.. but im not putting and gay ass wings and queer looking euros or anything into my car.. but this might help.. i went out and started it today.. and when i turn off the headlights it runs smoother... so its something electrical definately

Well it is't the battery, not the alternator. As it starts off the battery. Turning the lights off, reduces the current flowing, so I would look for a bad connection, from the battery to the electrical system.
Check the fuseable links in the fuse box under the hood. If one is causing this to happen it will get hot, due to the resistance. Turn the headlights on, without the engine running, feel all the connections there, to see if there is a hot one.

Harvey. ;)