The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tick Tick Tick.....OMFG (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27547)

jman050 07-26-2005 11:01 AM

Tick Tick Tick.....OMFG

I just bought my svx a couple weeks ago. I never heard the noise while test driving it or looking in the engine but in the past week ive heard a ticking coming from the engine. It varies with engine speed, not road speed, and doesnt go away after warming up. I thought it was a sticky lifter so i changed the oil and added a 1/2 qt of MMO. The car was driven less than a mile but has idled for about 5 minutes since then and the ticking has not gone away. Do I have a cracked flex plate? How long does it usually take for MMO to free the lifter if it ever does?

Sorry about the long post :(

The noise seems to be louder under the car but when I open the hood I could also swear its coming from the top of the engine! Im freaking out!!!!

Earthworm 07-26-2005 11:44 AM

Have you used the mechanic's stethoscope (long screwdriver) to narrow down the source of the noise?

Sounds like the flexplate though.

jman050 07-26-2005 12:50 PM

would there be any other odd effects of a cracked flexplate besides the noise, because I dont notice any other problems?

Earthworm 07-26-2005 01:10 PM

I would only assume if it cracks all the way around your engine won't be able to turn the transmission.

SilverSpear 07-26-2005 01:32 PM

Sorry Guys, i am again the stupid Lebanese guy who doesn't speak english well or know the engine parts names... what do we call those things which activate the valves of the engine? they are located in the upper part of the engine... Cams? or below the cams? I bet they are not getting filled properly with oil and they are making the Tick Tick Tick sound...
sorry for the way i put it...

Earthworm 07-26-2005 01:34 PM

Danny, those are the lifters. He's already added some stuff to quiet the lifters. Normally that ticking noise slowly goes away.

jman050 07-26-2005 02:02 PM

Is it possible that I havent driven it enough to quiet the lifters? Ill have to wait until I insure the car again to do any more driving to see though. Im just throwing out suggestions because i dont really wanna drop the transmission. Could driving around hurt the transmission or engine in any way it the flexplate is cracked?

Thanks

TomsSVX 07-26-2005 03:03 PM

the only bad thing you can do to it by driving is maybe make the crack worse. If you do find that it is the flexplate, I got a new one for ya. Anyway, give the marvels some time to work it's magic. There is another method but it is not accepted by many as a good standard practice but seems to work very well. Send me a pm for more info.

Tom

PS where is Califon NJ?? I am on Long Beach Island

SubaSteevo 07-26-2005 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
the only bad thing you can do to it by driving is maybe make the crack worse. If you do find that it is the flexplate, I got a new one for ya. Anyway, give the marvels some time to work it's magic. There is another method but it is not accepted by many as a good standard practice but seems to work very well. Send me a pm for more info.

Tom

PS where is Califon NJ?? I am on Long Beach Island

Califon is right inbetween the middle of nowhere and east bumblefluck

It's also right around the corner from me

TomsSVX 07-26-2005 03:21 PM

cool, gotta love the crotch of America!!

Tom

jman050 07-26-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
Califon is right inbetween the middle of nowhere and east bumblefluck

It's also right around the corner from me

Dont be offended by this but people in Clinton get a bad reputation around us as being full of themselves. Then again people from Califon are said to be inbred. Thankfully only my mailing adress is califon, I live in lebanon twp. :p

Im not saying i agree with the stereotypes :D

SubaSteevo 07-26-2005 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050
Dont be offended by this but people in Clinton get a bad reputation around us as being full of themselves. Then again people from Califon are said to be inbred. Thankfully only my mailing adress is califon, I live in lebanon twp. :p

Im not saying i agree with the stereotypes :D

Although my mailing address is Clinton, I actually spend most of the day with my head in the clouds...

and I'm actually living in Lawrenceville, so there :p

immortal_suby 07-26-2005 07:02 PM

MMO might not be enough - I had a tick that it wouldn't clear up that did clear up with a treatment of engine oil cleaner.

michael 07-26-2005 07:59 PM

What weight oil are you using? I found changing from 10w-30 to 10W-40 cleared up my ticking. Someone yell at me if that is a no-no!

jman050 07-26-2005 08:30 PM

Im using 10w-30 Mobil 1