The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   DIY: alignment and wheel balancing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24404)

SSSVX 02-09-2005 06:07 PM

DIY: alignment and wheel balancing

Just wondering have anyone of you tried done these two things by yourself?

I could find some articles for do-it-yourself on alignment but for wheel balancing it's kind of hard. :p

Is it easy, fun to try these? :D

Thanks,

Beav 02-09-2005 08:39 PM

If you don't mind risking a $400 or more set of tires go right ahead.

(That's why repair shops spend $40,000+ for alignment machines and tire balancers...)

lee 02-09-2005 08:43 PM

could you provide a reference on the articles to look them over?

I could believe a DIY for toe-in, but DIY caster & camber - especially for a 4-wheel alignment - with +/- tolerances of about 0.5 degree, seems almost impossible...but then sure wouldn't be the first time I have done the stuck foot in mouth routine :D

mbtoloczko 02-09-2005 11:21 PM

There is some equipment out there that the NASCAR guys use, but its expensive equipment. Much more than what you'd pay for a lifetime of wheel alignments.

Nothing out there for DIY wheel balancing.

dcarrb 02-10-2005 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Nothing out there for DIY wheel balancing.
I've seen El Cheapo bubble-balance rigs in catalogs before (maybe Harbor Freight?), but, geez, man, proper high-speed balancing at most shops is a bargain. Why bother?

dcb

SilverSpear 02-11-2005 02:19 AM

alignment can be done manually, but wheel balancing, not..

ssnsltd 02-12-2005 09:41 AM

the bubble level wheel balancer is only good for ~60 mph.

Beav 02-13-2005 08:49 AM

It can all be done at home, it is just a matter of accuracy. Heck, I can eyeball an alignment pretty close without any measuring tools, but if you want optimum life from a set of expensive tires....

There is obviously a reason why repair centers invest so heavily in balance and alignment equipment. How many alignments must a garage do to pay for a $40k alignment rack? Why spend the money if you can do it with a string and a stick? Gee, there must be a reason. C'mon people, get a clue.

SilverSpear 02-14-2005 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
It can all be done at home, it is just a matter of accuracy. Heck, I can eyeball an alignment pretty close without any measuring tools
you can't rely just on your naked eyes to make an alignment for your car, at least you need a measurement tape and a leveler... then the issue is probable...

dcarrb 02-14-2005 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ssnsltd
the bubble level wheel balancer is only good for ~60 mph.
Which makes it essentially good for nothing.

dcb

ssnsltd 02-14-2005 09:28 AM

Good for nothing?
It makes a great paper weight.

Earthworm 02-15-2005 12:02 PM

I've been using a bubble balancer for all my tires for the last 10 years (Justy + SVX). I've had my SVX to 145mph without shaking my fillings loose from poorly balanced tires.

mbtoloczko 02-15-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I've been using a bubble balancer for all my tires for the last 10 years (Justy + SVX). I've had my SVX to 145mph without shaking my fillings loose from poorly balanced tires.
That's amazing. I wouldn't have thought it was that accurate.

Earthworm 02-15-2005 02:52 PM

It's not going to be perfect but I've never had to re-balance any tire I've ever done.

oab_au 02-15-2005 05:13 PM

A bubble balancer will only statically balance the wheel. Ok for bikes with narrow wheels. But with wide wheels they can be statically inbalance, but out of balance dynamicly.

Because the out of balance may be on the outside edge and the weights may be on the inside. When the wheel spins the two weight spots try to run in a straight line, causing a wobble, as each weighted spot trys to swing into the center line of the wheel. Which it can only do when it is at the front and back of the steering axis.

Harvey. ;)