The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Directions for water pump (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2062)

SVXtc 11-25-2001 06:36 PM

Directions for water pump

What do I need to do to replace my water pump? Instructions ect...

mohrds 11-26-2001 11:11 AM

John & I recently did my timing belt/water pump and photographed the procedure. I plan to put that together with the shop manual instructions and a list of parts including special tools (right John?) and gaskets for a complete guide.

The problem is I haven't found the time yet to write it up.

Doug

Aredubjay 11-26-2001 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
John & I recently did my timing belt/water pump and photographed the procedure. I plan to put that together with the shop manual instructions and a list of parts including special tools (right John?) and gaskets for a complete guide.

The problem is I haven't found the time yet to write it up.

Doug

Don't forget instructions on how to give your engine that "pretty pink glow." :D

mohrds 11-26-2001 11:40 AM

<<Don't forget instructions on how to give your engine that "pretty pink glow.">>

That is a custom off road application I do not recommend for daily drivers :)

Doug

SVXtc 11-27-2001 01:12 PM

Do you have to pull the engine out to get to the timing belt? About how long did it take you to do both things?

Aredubjay 11-27-2001 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXtc
Do you have to pull the engine out to get to the timing belt? About how long did it take you to do both things?
You do not have to pull the engine to get to the timing belt. The water pump is a simple operation once you've cleared the way to the timing belt. That's the reason it's probably best to change it while you're there (unless you know it has recently been replaced). Most of the work (I think) is invested in getting the pully off. Doug can fill you in better, since I haven't actually done it, I just read about it in The Road and Track Guide --- Um, I mean, the Service Manual. :D But, can't completely recall the procedure. At any rate, no, you don't have to pull the engine.

mohrds 11-27-2001 01:53 PM

<<Do you have to pull the engine out to get to the timing belt?>>
No but removing the radiator is about the most removal other than the involved parts themselves

<<About how long did it take you to do both things?>>
We also installed a new radiator, transmission cooler, replaced all the hoses and belts and that took us about 5 hours I think. If you just replaced the timing belt and water pump, I would say for a first timer, plan 3-6 hours. If you buy the pulley wrench, cut an hour off of that. If you buy the sprocket wrench as well, subtract another 45 minutes.

I don't have those tool part numbers handy, but I will get them tonight so someone can price them up.

Doug

mohrds 11-27-2001 09:21 PM

Crankshaft Pully Wrench 499977000 $171.06
Camshaft sprocket wrench 499207100 $0.00

I beleive they are both discontinued. Perhaps NAPA or some other parts store can get one for less $$$

Doing the job without them is possible, but plan on a lot of swearing.

Doug