The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I've been busy (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11377)

Seraph 06-15-2003 10:10 PM

I've been busy

1 Attachment(s)
With my SVX off the road, I have been real busy. I got the espresso PC I wanted for the SVX so that I can get a full PC running. I have used mediaengine and myhtpc (mediaengine.org) and (myhtpc.net) to get a full entertainment system for the computer for the car. I am doing some add-ons for the unit. Also, I have been making RC planes. A Cessna Skyhawk (36" wingspan) is 90% done and my spad is fully built and will be going up for a test flight tomorrow. Who says plastic pieces can't fly eh?

Anyways, I've attached the photo to let you know what I have been up to and that I am still around. Did I miss anything much? :D

L

SPAD Photo

Ron Mummert 06-15-2003 10:27 PM

At last! A functional wing!

Nice work, Lwin.

Ron (CEO Ripimoff Industries, a fly-by-night company).

ensteele 06-16-2003 12:00 AM

You didn't put your SVX engine in that did you. Looks like fun. Good work. :)

Seraph 06-16-2003 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
You didn't put your SVX engine in that did you. Looks like fun. Good work. :)
Both planes are using speed 370 motor with geared drive (if anyone is interesed). Yeah they are fun to build. Since the cessna is the balsa model, I am not sure if I want to fly it yet. The coroplast SPAD is going in the air tomorrow. Total cost of the plane: 120 bucks including radio tx, rx, motors and glue. A lot less of a moneypit compare to the SVX. I needed a time off from trying to modify the car.

L

Mr. Pockets 06-16-2003 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

Both planes are using speed 370 motor with geared drive (if anyone is interesed). Yeah they are fun to build. Since the cessna is the balsa model, I am not sure if I want to fly it yet. The coroplast SPAD is going in the air tomorrow. Total cost of the plane: 120 bucks including radio tx, rx, motors and glue. A lot less of a moneypit compare to the SVX. I needed a time off from trying to modify the car.

L

$120? Neat. I always wanted to try an RC plane, but the cost sorta kept me from it.

Who makes the model?

Seraph 06-16-2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

$120? Neat. I always wanted to try an RC plane, but the cost sorta kept me from it.

Who makes the model?

I did. Sort of a combo design. Check out www.spadtothebone.com and e-spad.com for the spads. The total cost include:
2mm Coroplast 3'x3' -- free someone was tossing out. Otherwise should be about 10 bucks at most
speed 370 electric motor with gears and prop - $18
Radio -- $90 (include the reciever, transmitter, servos)
Glue - $2 (use the hot glue)
misc cost -- 10 bucks.

not bad for something like that. I'll post the pic of the balsa model (cessna skyhawk) once I am done. I went with the spad model becuase I can crash it as much and they are cheap to fix and can resist drops from about 50 feet without any major repairs.

L

Chicane 06-16-2003 01:53 PM

I started one...it was all corrogated plastic contruction, supposed to be really durable. Then I lost interest and built my Tamiya 4WD Rally Celica GTS.

- Rob

Subafreak 06-16-2003 06:38 PM

Is that thing really air worthy Lwin? I take it the Cessna is more of a looker?

Hay Rob are you talkin like 1991 with that Celica? They don't still make that car do they?

I started of with a GrassHopper. That was a cool RC. Not.

Chicane 06-16-2003 07:02 PM

Yep. Here's some pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3/fdc4dcc8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/fdc4da9f.jpg

- Rob

svxeno 06-16-2003 07:11 PM

When I saw "I've been busy" from Lwin I got scared and didn't know what to expect. :D

I almost tried an RC plane before. I just don't think I could watch all my effort and money hit the ground like that. Crrrrrrrrrunch! ;)

Randy ii

Subafreak 06-16-2003 07:20 PM

Good looking car Rob.

I used to have one of the original BRATs but my freinds sister steped on the plastic body and destroyed it, i did get a lexan replacement for it but I can't even remember what happend to it, along with like ten other RC cars I used to have. I do still have an original Optima but it needs a new spur gear and no one has parts for the ancient thing.

My grandfather used to build planes that looked like the real thing, he usually built old biyplanes with tiny turnbuckles and working controls inside. He has a bunch of pictures of them that you would think were real planes, they were really cool.

Seraph 06-16-2003 11:07 PM

Yeah I've done a couple of cars before as well. I have a monster truck and a ford focus 4WD 1:10 ratio(190mm) on my table. I have a wireless colour video cam on the focus (with BWM body) and you should see some of the shots i get with that cam.

The SPAD flew a little today. It's a little on the heavy side so I had a hard time keeping it afoat in the air. The cessna will be more of a looker but I intend to fly her as well. What's the point of building the car/plane if you can't really fly it right? For now, I am thinking of just going over to the store and picking up the cessna cardinal off the shelf and flying it tomorrow. They have the foam kit for 40 bucks and it has a 40" wingspan and came complete minus the radio so it's not too bad.

I'll keep you all posted.

Seraph 06-16-2003 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
I started one...it was all corrogated plastic contruction, supposed to be really durable. Then I lost interest and built my Tamiya 4WD Rally Celica GTS.

- Rob

They are durable. I have seen crashes on those things were regular RC planes would be smashed to pieces. The hard part is trying to find the right coroplast sheets. Most you can get are 4mm thick pieces and IMO, planes are built better from 2mm thick coroplast. I got a 3' x3' piece free from a local supplier as long as I give them a photo of the finished product. They were happy today when I brought the plane in. The plane in the photo took me about 5 hours to build.

:)

Mr. Pockets 06-17-2003 09:45 AM

I spent a little time during lunch yesterday looking at the SPAD sites. It's probably a good thing I'm working 80+ hours a week this month, or I'd be building one. That's all I need - another friggin' hobby. :p

Seraph 06-17-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I spent a little time during lunch yesterday looking at the SPAD sites. It's probably a good thing I'm working 80+ hours a week this month, or I'd be building one. That's all I need - another friggin' hobby. :p
Let me know if you need help or plans.