The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ? about low fuel light (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22584)

jerm781 11-11-2004 06:04 PM

? about low fuel light

I have a 92 svx and have never seen the low fuel light I have been on the bottom line before with no gas light on. I also dont see it when I turn the ignition on and all the lights light up in the gauge cluster. Could it be out? Or does it have to be all the way down on the E for the light to come on? Thanks for any help.

Earthworm 11-11-2004 06:21 PM

The light will come on with approx 3 gal left in the tank. How much gas does it take to fill your tank at that point?

For me the light doesn't come on until I'm below the "E" line.

Seraph 11-11-2004 06:22 PM

After it hits E, you have about 5 gallons of fuel left. After the light comes on, you have 2. which means you can be on E and can go for a good 100+ miles easy.

L

My suggesstion, open it up, pull the needle out and push it in when the light first come on. That's what I did to my cars.

SVinX 11-11-2004 06:27 PM

maybe it's a Maryland thing...

I've had my svx since August and I run the thing down to fumes way more than I probably should. I've only seen the gas light on once since having the car and the fuel gauge wasn't even that low at the time.

Probably chalk it up to the same picky electrical system that only lets you out of your automatic seatbelt when it's damn good and ready...

shelfy 11-11-2004 06:49 PM

in the claret, the light usually comes on when the needle is way past the line and about bottom left point of the letter E. i feel safe going about another 50 miles when i see the light. :)

mysvxrocks 11-11-2004 07:33 PM

Mine goes on in my 92 LS-L when i've been on E for a while. So it comes on after Ive been running it on empty.

kmin 11-11-2004 11:01 PM

like the energizer bunny...

when i was driving out to CA from NJ in August, I had been driving for about four hours, when I realized I had left my wallet at my friend's place the previous night. That was also when I thought I should pull over and get gas (needle halfway between E and the 1/4 mark).

I turned around and managed to drive another 3 hours before I decided to stop and wait for my friend to drive out to meet me. The gas warning light in Subarus usually comes on way past the E mark, and usually while there's still about 2 to 3 gallons left in the tank. I wouldn't worry about it. :) Besides, that's what AAA is for!

UberRoo 11-11-2004 11:38 PM

When my warning light comes on I commute for two more days before filling it up. The gauge is completely useless. "E" is about 1/2 tank. The warning light is almost useless, but it seems to come on at about 1/4 tank.

When you run out of fuel, the engine will miss very, very slightly. In less than a mile you will run out unless you are on a hill. It runs out sooner uphill, and runs out later downhill.

After it runs out, it will restart and run for only a few seconds. If you wait about fifteen minutes and restart, it will run for ten or twenty seconds. After filling the tank, it will restart immediately without having to crank it over and over.

I usually fill up at about 325 miles. I've hit 370 miles on the freeway, but I've also run out at 295 miles when I've been driving all frisky-like around town. (Having a few extra gallons in the trunk sure does inspire confidence in testing these things.)

SVXXX 11-12-2004 01:16 AM

Lights Out!

Hey sounds like you need the light or fuse replaced. It should come on when you put the ket into foward position, then go off when you start the car( unless you have low fuel of course).
good luck

thundering02 11-12-2004 01:22 AM

I hit just short of 400 miles on one tank. Ran it dry to say the least I think it took something like 16.5 gallons that day.

BoondockSVX 11-12-2004 06:24 AM

I've gone 470 miles on one tank before. Probably could have made 500 but I didn't want to risk finding a gas station in the middle of the night.

- Jim

red95svx 11-12-2004 07:06 AM

Re: Lights Out!

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXXX
Hey sounds like you need the light or fuse replaced. It should come on when you put the ket into foward position, then go off when you start the car( unless you have low fuel of course).
good luck

The low fuel light is not part of the system self test. It will not turn on unless you are low on gas.

Dave

nsm484 11-12-2004 02:34 PM

Suprizingly... I have only seen my Fuel Light come on just ONCE for just a split second.... and I drive it down to E all the time :confused:

Noir 11-12-2004 02:39 PM

wow, everyone's getting different readings from their 'empty' light. mine doesn't come on anymore. i tested it out, i ran the car until it ran out of fuel and stalled. it was kinda interesting since i've never done that before.

during the whole time, the empty light didn't come on. sensor maybe?

drivemusicnow 11-12-2004 03:01 PM

For my car when it hits E i have about 4-5 gallons left, when the light comes on for the first time, i've got about 3-4 gallons, it goes back off, and then i have about 2 gallons left when it comes back on... its pretty consistant with this pattern... however... i have NEVER been able to put more than 16.5 or so gallons in.. even though its supposedly an 18. 4? gallon tank