The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lightening the beast (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15237)

JBnAR 12-24-2003 08:50 PM

Lightening the beast

I've only had my SVX for about 2 1/2 months but i've already decided any weight i can get rid of HAS to go. 3580 LBS FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD! I've already found racing buckets that will cut a substantial amount, a lighter exhaust set up, a carbon fiber hood and lighter wheels. Has anyone else done much lightening to their car, because any other suggestions would be nice.

NomadTW 12-24-2003 09:42 PM

i might recomend a search, there has been quite a bit of discussion abotu this
but to sum it up

not much has been done

5mt will reduce weight, CF hood will reduce weight, wheels will reduce weight, lighter bumper beams will reduce weight but i don't think it's been done, but i'm sure that the jdm bumper beams are lighter also not dot approved but how are they gonna know. you could take your doors apart and drill holes int he sheet metal dont' think anyone's done that yet, you can replace the glass w/ plexi, and i dont' think it's been done either,

also as is usually posted
"this car is a grand tourer, if you want a lightweight car get a civic"

Gargoyle 12-24-2003 09:49 PM

GT GT GT GT GT GT GT GT ;) It's a GT & it will blow most wannabies dead away ( especially if you get em from a 40 + roll ) If you wanna prove its **** Race em up hill in the rain or better yet in the snow& make em eat slop...

Sorry to anti-wrd but to me its a Cady-Vette thats damn near all it should be..;)

Seraph 12-24-2003 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle
GT GT GT GT GT GT GT GT ;) It's a GT & it will blow most wannabies dead away ( especially if you get em from a 40 + roll ) If you wanna prove its **** Race em up hill in the rain or better yet in the snow& make em eat slop...

Sorry to anti-wrd but to me its a Cady-Vette thats damn near all it should be..;)

It's a GT

but you want to lighten this. Look at your seat. Look at your trunk lid.

Landshark 12-24-2003 10:04 PM

people that ask how to lighten their car usually have 2 amps and a giant speaker box in the trunk. :D

lose the spare tire, radio, glass, AC, dash, extra seats, sound deadening material, headliner, paint, carpet, center console, and the plastic engine cover. ain't gonna be pretty, though. ;)

Seraph 12-24-2003 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
people that ask how to lighten their car usually have 2 amps and a giant speaker box in the trunk. :D

lose the spare tire, radio, glass, AC, dash, extra seats, sound deadening material, headliner, paint, carpet, center console, and the plastic engine cover. ain't gonna be pretty, though. ;)

Might as well run on the frame

Subafreak 12-25-2003 09:22 AM

I bet it would be fast thoe.

Sure every 10lbs makes a differance but unless you can loose about 500lbs and still have a compleat daily driver, I don't know that getting rid of the extra weight would be worth it?

It would be cool to get a FWD, swap in a 5 speed and gut the whole car just to see what it could do.

Landshark 12-25-2003 10:27 AM

its been said a thousand times, but why buy a luxury touring car and remove all the luxury?

if you want a lightweight nimble sports car, buy a lightweight nimble sports car. its like taking a Dodge Neon and putting in an exotic wood dash, leather seats, and a champagne cooler. sure there are some things you can do to enhance the performance of the SVX, but gutting the interior probably isn't the best idea. i'd say some lightweight wheels would be OK, but i believe the stock wheels are pretty light already.

kayvon 12-25-2003 11:09 AM

I know some you guys have seen this before. But it is always good to re-vist. You can try to do this to the svx.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

:p

Seraph 12-25-2003 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kayvon
I know some you guys have seen this before. But it is always good to re-vist. You can try to do this to the svx.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

:p

That came to my mind!!!! LOL

wawazat?? 12-25-2003 04:31 PM

How about a lightweight battery, dumping the stereo stuff (previously mentioned), removing the back seat, welding the sunroof shut and removing the motor and drive mechanism, dump the ABS system, dump the AC. How far do you want to go???

As previously mentioned, this is not the car to turn in to a lightweight machine as it came fully equipped from the factory with a boatload of options and AWD.

The manual trans swap will cut 100 pounds. The wheels are relatively lightweight at 20 pounds each, so major savings will be difficult there. Also stay with 16" to save weight versus a larger diameter. Seats are probably heavier than 50 lbs each, especially the drivers with the motors. Stock hood weighs 48 pounds. Get a fiberglass or CF version.

Todd

Green1995SVX 12-25-2003 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph

Might as well run on the frame

Forget the frame... Who needs that?

Mike

fatboyfsx 12-26-2003 06:06 PM

Carbon fiber hood -30+ pounds
5spd trannie -120+ pounds
Seats - 100+ pounds
wheels - 10-20 +pounds
Exhaust - 20-40 + pounds
battery - 15-20+ pounds
total - 295-330 pounds with out sacrificaing that much luxury.

Subafreak 12-26-2003 06:47 PM

Interesting guesstemit, almost to that 500lb mark. How much more to ditch the bumber beams ,rear wiper assembly and rear window motors and regulators I wonder?

Landshark 12-26-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fatboyfsx
Carbon fiber hood -30+ pounds
5spd trannie -120+ pounds
Seats - 100+ pounds
wheels - 10-20 +pounds
Exhaust - 20-40 + pounds
battery - 15-20+ pounds
total - 295-330 pounds with out sacrificaing that much luxury.

seats - don't even weigh 100 lbs, how can you loose that much????

wheels - 20 lbs, no way. you can get 11lb wheels, but they will cost more than a '92 SVX

exhaust - i dunno, but 40 lbs sounds a little high

battery - you're going to need a battery :D