The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shold I Buy the tool? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30237)

neptue 12-12-2005 03:45 PM

Should I Buy the tool?

Hi,
I'm in middle of decision that I should buy the
crank pulley ranch. It cost $150 from Subaru specialty tool store.
What do you think?

Is it really hard to remove the bolt on crank pulley?
I dont' know big flat screw driver holds the flywheel.

Any experience with that?

svxcess 12-12-2005 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This tool?

dromano 12-12-2005 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neptue
Hi,
I'm in middle of decision that I should buy the
crank pulley ranch. It cost $150 from Subaru specialty tool store.
What do you think?

Is it really hard to remove the bolt on crank pulley?
I dont' know big flat screw driver holds the flywheel.

Any experience with that?

I used a small pry bar, had to buy a 22mm socket for the bolt that holds the pulley. I was so worried about the torque on the bolt when putting it back I used thread lock. Will need to be heated to 500 degrees to break the lock! :eek:

neptue 12-12-2005 04:39 PM

exactly that tool, but they discountinued one you posted and have a replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
This tool?

neptue 12-12-2005 04:43 PM

Do we have to heat up the bolt?
How? Don't tell me to light up the car with news papers.

So, how was taking out the bolt?
easy? Hard?

How did you secure the crank shaft to turn?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano
I used a small pry bar, had to buy a 22mm socket for the bolt that holds the pulley. I was so worried about the torque on the bolt when putting it back I used thread lock. Will need to be heated to 500 degrees to break the lock! :eek:

immortal_suby 12-12-2005 04:54 PM

You do not have to heat up the bolt. He used a threadlock paste so he will have to at some point.

It is fairly easy, if you have the right tools, to break the bolt free and torque it back down.

neptue 12-12-2005 06:14 PM

What right tool?
Which tool is the right one?
Flat screw driver?

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
You do not have to heat up the bolt. He used a
threadlock paste so he will have to at some point.

It is fairly easy, if you have the right tools, to break the bolt free and torque it back down.

huck369 12-12-2005 07:37 PM

To break the crank bolt loose, put a 2' pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar (to make it longer) on the nut with the pipe touching the ground on the drivers side of the car(sort of below the battery), then get in the car and crank the motor over, presto! it's broke loose, no special tool to buy....

dromano 12-12-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
To break the crank bolt loose, put a 2' pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar (to make it longer) on the nut with the pipe touching the ground on the drivers side of the car(sort of below the battery), then get in the car and crank the motor over, presto! it's broke loose, no special tool to buy....

A pro mechanic told me this is :eek: the way he uses to undo the crank pulley bolt :eek: :eek: :eek: ,,,OK you guys!!!!!!!!!! Standing too close could be hazzardous to one's health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kuoh 12-12-2005 07:52 PM

Remember to turn the key all the way back to OFF right away, just in case your engine only takes a light touch to start.

KuoH

huck369 12-12-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano
A pro mechanic told me this is :eek: the way he uses to undo the crank pulley bolt :eek: :eek: :eek: ,,,OK you guys!!!!!!!!!! Standing too close could be hazzardous to one's health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No problem, since you will be inside the car when you crank it ;)

Electrophil 12-12-2005 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369

Have you actually done this? I mean you do realize half of us will do this now. You better not be jiving us! :D

kuoh 12-12-2005 08:56 PM

I'm sure he has, several of us have from back in the Yahoo days. I've done it twice myself, though you still need a strap wrench to tighten it back up or else you risk the bolt loosening and causing a big problem.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
Have you actually done this? I mean you do realize half of us will do this now. You better not be jiving us! :D

Stevebsy 12-12-2005 09:12 PM

I have done it a few times...works good, just remember to shut down right away...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil

intelisevil 12-12-2005 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuoh
I'm sure he has, several of us have from back in the Yahoo days. I've done it twice myself, though you still need a strap wrench to tighten it back up or else you risk the bolt loosening and causing a big problem.

KuoH

Can't you just hook the battery up backwards? ;)

Dan