The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "popping" or clicking when turning (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22181)

TorG0d 10-24-2004 12:50 AM

"popping" or clicking when turning

At first I thought this was caused from warped rotors, but I just replaced them and the problem still exists. Basically, whenever I turn, it sounds like something is popping or clicking from the passenger side wheel assembly. It is probably not the CV axle as this was just replaced less than 15k miles ago, and the problem existed before then. I understand I'm being kinda vague, but that's all I got. Speed does not matter except for the quickness of the clicking or popping (i.e. the faster I go, the faster the clicking.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TorG0d Fransisco Domingo ANdres Sebastian D'Anconia

n00b on demand 10-24-2004 08:38 AM

I used to get a knocking noise when turning the wheel and i ended up getting the entire axle replaced and it went away.

Htownsvx 10-24-2004 10:16 AM

that is how it started on my svx when ever i would turn i would get a nasty humm or a tick and it turn out to be the right front cat.

Peach 10-26-2004 11:06 AM

Re: "popping" or clicking when turning

Quote:

Originally posted by TorG0d
At first I thought this was caused from warped rotors, but I just replaced them and the problem still exists. Basically, whenever I turn, it sounds like something is popping or clicking from the passenger side wheel assembly. It is probably not the CV axle as this was just replaced less than 15k miles ago, and the problem existed before then. I understand I'm being kinda vague, but that's all I got. Speed does not matter except for the quickness of the clicking or popping (i.e. the faster I go, the faster the clicking.)

Check your upper strut mount. Some have said their stabilizer. Mine pops too, I know it's my strut mount but haven't fixed yet...I driven it 5k miles like this I'll fix it in the spring...probably :D

RobSVX 11-04-2004 12:03 PM

Sounds like a CV joint.

Mr. Pockets 11-05-2004 12:39 PM

Re: "popping" or clicking when turning

Quote:

Originally posted by TorG0d

Axle.

svxsubaru1 11-09-2004 12:27 PM

yeah it really sounds like a half shaft. You should test it by taking a pretty tight corner with no gas, then take the same corner not flooring it, but giving it a decent amount of gas and if it pops this time its the half shaft, if it pops both times i have no idea.

TomsSVX 11-09-2004 10:29 PM

if it is continuous, buy new shafts, if it does it once after the wheel is turned it is ur strut mount. my mount is shot and it makes more of a pop than a click of a cv joint.