The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Introducing 25th Anniversary #073 (and new guy) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35661)

davemm 10-15-2006 05:42 PM

Introducing 25th Anniversary #073 (and new guy)

After lurking for many years and even corrupting my oldest son (DZA) to get an SVX, I made the plunge. Accidentally entered wrong zip code in autotrader search (always searched in Pacific NW) and found this "93 on a car lot in Cypress CA. Carfax came back clean and 1 owner, so I bought it sight-unseen from a guy named Jose, 1500 miles away, in another country. (what could POSSIBLY go wrong).
Flew down with youngest son (thought I might need someone to push) handed over $4445.00 and drove it home. Ran and shifted clean and flawless- 30+ MPG to the US gal for 1500 mi trip home, burned no oil. LA to San Fran on I-5 then the coast to Portland OR.
While checking it over I found a crack (possibly fatal) under 1/4" of brake dust in one wheel (@ inner bead)- its out for assessment for repair- fingers crossed.
Gotta say the expertise and enthusiam of the members was the ONLY reason I would have taken th plunge- even tho' local Subaru dealer likes SVX's and has people that like to work on them (there's quite a few more around Vancouver Island than I imagined).
Looking forward to being an active contributor-have set up pix in my locker- so check it out- would love some opinions. PS- slightly computer challenged - but VERY- persistent- bear with me and I'll have the format and protocols down evetually- if I screw up (like when I registered or how it took like 3 hours and help from DZA to post pix to my locker) just correct me- like I said not too smart but persisteant and willing.
Cheers- will check in later
PPS- can't drive it 'til inspected (could have probably got thru with that wheel- but shouldn't drive it 'til fixed anyhow)- so I washed it and took the pix- haven't touched the inside or under the hood yet- curious as heck about maintenance repair history- can't possibly be on orig. tranny- still researching--

gest24 10-15-2006 05:45 PM

Welcome to the site! I'm really surprised my mom didn't pick off that SVX on Autotrader. Thats how she found my 92 Pearl.

Dza 10-15-2006 09:49 PM

Hey Dad! Welcome to the forums. You're right, the enthusiasm around here is awesome, and sometimes downright insane. Too bad I can't just drop by and check out your ride, but it looks spectacular.

Don't worry guys, I made sure his wheels are on the right way and he knew where the Search button was before he ever posted :)

Mr. Pockets 10-16-2006 07:28 AM

Hi, Dave! Welcome to the site! I also have a '93, built in 3/93. I've had the car since '99, and I am also the second owner.

I'm glad the long-distance sale went well for you. I bought my MR2 in a similar way, from a guy who barely spoke English, and it turned out pretty well.

I hope the car serves you well, and we certainly welcome any questions you might have!

PDSides 10-16-2006 08:49 AM

The car looks great. You are hooked! Best wishes.
Preston

msvx95 10-16-2006 09:43 AM

Welcome Dave...I too drove far to get my car...1st ebay motors experience and also dealt with a guy who spoke bad english.
Have fun here and enjoy your ride.

msvx95 10-16-2006 09:46 AM

By the way....that really is a great look to your wheels without the centercaps on them!

gtdanielgt 10-16-2006 09:58 AM

Dang they've had that car for a while now.. I've looked at a lot of svx'es but if memory serves me it had something like 88K or 109K miles on it?

Sharp lookin ride by the way, and welcome to the site :D

-Daniel

davemm 10-16-2006 01:18 PM

MSVX95
the center caps are off, sanded and primed - no use finding matching paint until verdict on cracked wheel- may have to paint whole wheel- then I'll do caps @ same time-
don't know if your serious but your the third person to tell me it looks better without the caps
by the way beer cans (empty of course)work great for paint stands for wheel caps

Earthworm 10-16-2006 01:25 PM

Great looking car you've got there. I had the privelege of meeting your son a year ago on my way to the 3rd annual Dabob meet in WA.

dcarrb 10-16-2006 01:59 PM

Welcome. Nice car. First one I looked to buy was a '93, but it got away. Maybe someday...

dcb

CaribooSVX 10-16-2006 02:15 PM

Welcome

Welcome to the site Dave.

I'm not sure if your 93 has had an external ATF filter kit installed or not as a result of a tranny recall .
The reason why I'm posting and letting you know is that I just got off the phone with a parts guy at your local Subaru dealer in Victoria- Saunders Subaru , ( 250-474-2211 ) and he has an ATF external filter kit in stock as he had it right in front of him describing it to me to make sure he had the right part. I ordered mine from my local dealer. You have to buy the whole kit with hoses, clamps but I need just the filter. Cost is $ 30. CDN. He only has the one in stock.

Just for your info in case you want one

Peter

bcpianoman 10-16-2006 02:56 PM

Really good plan

An external ATF filter kit is a really good idea. So is a transmission fluid cooler.

04sti 10-16-2006 03:40 PM

good luck with it and welcome!!!

RojoRocket 10-16-2006 06:29 PM

Welcome Dave! Funny! Looks just like mine! :D I'm about to turn 146K and a Ca car too. Glad to see another one go to a true fan!!

Glenn