The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vibrations, could it be the idle? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14573)

SVXgarcia 11-21-2003 08:56 AM

Vibrations, could it be the idle?

My 92 SVX w/ 104K miles vibrates everytime I have to stop at a red light. If while waiting at the light I put it in Neutral the vibration stops.
I think the problem might be that It idles too low How do I fix this? What can I do so that the car idles at at least 1000rpms?
Thanks

manofmayo 11-21-2003 09:58 AM

My Impreza did the same thing, turned out my former shop installed axles which were too long. When the correct ones where installed, the vibration stopped.

svxstl 11-21-2003 09:59 AM

Re: Vibrations, could it be the idle?

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXgarcia
My 92 SVX w/ 104K miles vibrates everytime I have to stop at a red light. If while waiting at the light I put it in Neutral the vibration stops.
I think the problem might be that It idles too low How do I fix this? What can I do so that the car idles at at least 1000rpms?
Thanks

I believe a normal idle once the car has warmed up is in the 500-700 rpm range; this is where mine generally is.

svx_commuter 11-21-2003 10:29 AM

Re: Vibrations, could it be the idle?

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXgarcia
Thanks

Idle speed is not adjustable. The ECU controls it.
Injector cleaner? Dirty air filter? Old spark plugs? Vaccum hose leak? Loose intake manifold bolts?

Try cleaning the throttle body :)

Then reset the ECU.

Does anyone remember which fuse to pull to reset the ECU?

mbtoloczko 11-21-2003 11:24 AM

a/f ratio variations...

Having a meter hooked up the one of my stock O2 sensors has been very informative about how the motor functions. I've found that the vibrations at idle in my car vary with the a/f ratio fluctuations that are a normal part of ecu operation. At idle (and up to about 20-25% throttle), the ecu is in closed-loop mode and is constantly adjusting the a/f mixture. The result is that the a/f ratio swings back and forth between lean and stoich at a fairly regular interval of about 2 sec at idle. I can feel the intensity of the motor vibration vary with the cycling of the a/f ratio. If the vibrations are really strong on your car, it may be that the O2 sensors need replacement. That's just a guess though. The O2 sensors on my car are in good condition, so I don't know what bad O2 sensors do for the cycling of the a/f ratio. It could also easily be something that svx_commuter mentioned that is causing the a/f ratio to swing to leaner or richer ratios during its cycling.

mbtoloczko 11-21-2003 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Vibrations, could it be the idle?

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter

I usually just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

6evil9 11-23-2003 05:28 AM

could u provide more information about checking then O2 sensor with voltmeter pls?

it s very usefull i think, especially when u got crap idle..

mbtoloczko 11-23-2003 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 6evil9
could u provide more information about checking then O2 sensor with voltmeter pls?

it s very usefull i think, especially when u got crap idle..

I recommend just buying an O2 sensor gauge. Autometer makes several different models (with the only difference being the style of the gauge itself). I believe I bought the 3375.

Earthworm 11-27-2003 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Vibrations, could it be the idle?

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Normally you clear the ECU using the "blue" wires and the diagnostic connecter behind the driver's kick panel.