The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Enough is enough - I had to sell her today. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20385)

Ron Mummert 08-02-2004 09:05 PM

Enough is enough - I had to sell her today.

She flunked her state emission test & I was told it could drain another five hunnert bucks from the coffers to "attempt" to fix her.
So I let her go for one hundred bucks, which is what I paid for the Nissan 240SX. I'm breakin' even on wheel-deals this year.
Oh - this wasn't the batmobile, or I'd have posted in the Babble forum. This was the SVX stable donkey, the '88 Voyager mini-van. I had this thing for eleven years. I stole it from my next-door neighbor in '93 for $1000. It had 120K on it then & the A/C was kaput. I fixed the A/C & in the following years only added another 50K. Added another tranny along the way too. It got my daughter's college junk back & forth to various schools many times. My wife "learned" how to drive an automatic with this car. All our weekend day trips were taken in this box on wheels. We went antique hunting it it. My daughter camped in it with her big ole Chesapeake Bay retriever hound dog & his flea collection.
Now... the paint was peeling off in sheets, the head liner was drooping, the EGR valve was buried & rusted under 5 hours labor & the A/C compressor finally went code blue again. Still... she ran just fine. Oh, well - screwed by gov'mint reg-u-lay-shuns again.

Good-bye old Mopar. We'll miss you.

Ron.

Subafreak 08-03-2004 04:38 AM

YAY! Oh, I meen......sorry you had to give her up.:)

BoondockSVX 08-03-2004 05:48 AM

How many miles were on it?

benebob 08-03-2004 11:27 AM

You almost scared me Ron! I found two wheels for ya. Didn't get 'em yet. Am gonna check at another yard for a set of 4 as I'm not sure if there were different 240 4 lugs or not. If I find 'em that means I get to drive that sucker though.:D :D :D

SVXRide 08-03-2004 11:42 AM

Not to mention its storied past as a mobile squirrel lodge:D
-Bill

GreenMarine 08-03-2004 12:00 PM

Thought you were talking about the SVX there for a second .... :rolleyes:

I just don't know what I'd do if I couldn't see the Wing of Wine at Reading anymore :(:(

RSVX 08-03-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Thought you were talking about the SVX there for a second .... :rolleyes:

I just don't know what I'd do if I couldn't see the Wing of Wine at Reading anymore :(:(

Aredubjay 08-03-2004 12:15 PM

I KNEW it wasn't the SVX. Ron would never be so flippant about losing the "X."

People can diss the Voyagers and the Caravans all they want, but mine, like yours (95 Caravan) has proven to be a stalwart. Bought her with 6 miles on the clock. The only "major" repairs have been tie rods, some A/C work, a heater blower and a freeze plug in the tranny. Otherwise, and with almost 200,000 miles on her, she's still goin' strong.

Of course, since this was my first "brand new" car, ever, it'll be really tough when we have to let her go. Especially remembering seeing how proud our little nine-year-old looked, sitting in that back seat, smiling from ear to ear. She doesn't smile as much any more, cuz she's the one who drives it. :D She still thinks her mom should be relegated to the van, and SHE should have the SVX. :D

Yep, it's tough to see 'em go -- no matter how ratty they get.

Ron Mummert 08-03-2004 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Not to mention its storied past as a mobile squirrel lodge:D
-Bill

....and I can't help but think that half-fried rodent contributed to the demise of the emission control system. Probably got his nuts caught in the PVC valve.

Ron (EGR valve...Hmmmm.... Electronic Gonad Remover?)

Aredubjay 08-03-2004 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

....and I can't help but think that half-fried rodent contributed to the demise of the emission control system. Probably got his nuts caught in the PVC valve.

Ron (EGR valve...Hmmmm.... Electronic Gonad Remover?)

OUCH! :eek:

svxfiles 08-04-2004 08:11 AM

What's the correct wine with squirrel ? :)

Ron Mummert 08-04-2004 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxfiles

I prefer Asti de O'possum. June was a good month.

Ron.

svxfiles 08-04-2004 10:19 AM

Mmmm, Possummm...

Aredubjay 08-04-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

It's the other, other white meat (after frog legs). I'd say a fine Chablis -- Tuesday's a good day. :D

Mr. Pockets 08-04-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Funny you should mention that. While I was in FL over the weekend, my mom and I saw an...odd...squirrel. It was a real light tan with a black mask and a ringed tail. My mom swore that it was much bigger than a normal grey squirrel. I believe the words I used were, 'you're on crack.'

<cough>

Anyway, I searched a little (at 12kbs since their phones lines were noisy) and found the squirrel. It was apparently a fox squirrel - which, it turns out, can be twice the weight and 50% longer than a regular grey squirrel.

It was weird looking.

I wonder what it tastes like. :p