The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "big brake kits" (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40210)

jeffast 08-10-2007 09:25 AM

"big brake kits"

are there any simple cheap caliper options that will bolt on in the front for more sotopping power?

JaySVX 08-10-2007 09:36 AM

I don't believe so, there are options, but they're not cheap.

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.stores.yahoo.net/

They have one, but it's near $3000. I know origional tom has one, but i'm not sure of it's cost.

I have drilled/slotted rotors i picked up for $200, and my svx has pretty healthy stopping power. Remember, if you can get abs to kick in, it's not better brakes you need, but better tires.

Hocrest 08-10-2007 10:12 AM

Jeff,
Talk to Old Tom. I'm not sure if his kit is ready, but it will be less than $3k:rolleyes:

I've driven his car with the Big Brakes and it is a nice improvement :)

I thought you just bought brakes for your SVX???

jeffast 08-10-2007 11:40 AM

i did but i was wondering if any one here had done a setup like what i did with the xt6, like if wrx calipers would bolt in etc...

SVX92-97 08-10-2007 01:07 PM

Rotors and pads, calipers

2 Attachment(s)
Get yourself some slotted and drilled rotors from raceconcepts, around $200 for all four. A set of Akebono ProAct Ceramic pads, $60 a pair from TireRack. If your calipers are working normal you should have plenty of stopping power for everyday driving. I replaced all four of my calipers with NuGeon powder coated, cause mine were rusted and frozen. Brakewarehouse.com is who I got mine from. You could skip the powder coat if you wanted, cause its expensive. I bought 2 sets for both of my 96's. Fronts are $234.99 plus $120 core charge, Rears are $219.99 with $70 core charge. Those are powder coated charges only, obvioulsy non poweder coated will be much cheaper. Also replaced the brake lines with Stainless ones from Dayle at MotorsportsWarehouse, and my brakes are fantastic. If you contact brakewarehouse.com, ask for Robert Mack, he helped me with everything and is great.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P

svxstarship 08-10-2007 05:10 PM

Or...

1 Attachment(s)
Another option

Crazy_pilot 08-10-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship
Another option

Please explain more! (and now to make use of some of our cool new smilies!) :drool: :pics: :woo:

TomsSVX 08-10-2007 06:34 PM

once I get my projects in line with the built motors I will be making the move to get the 6pot wilwoods on my car... When I get my new brackets made... I will run a couple batches for people later on

Tom

svxfiles 08-10-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Jeff,
Talk to Old Tom. I'm not sure if his kit is ready, but it will be less than $3k:rolleyes:

I've driven his car with the Big Brakes and it is a nice improvement :)

I thought you just bought brakes for your SVX???

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|32588

benebob 08-10-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast
i did but i was wondering if any one here had done a setup like what i did with the xt6, like if wrx calipers would bolt in etc...

WRX calipers are smaller Jeff, change that fluid with something decent and get some decent pads then make sure you have some really good tires before you jump on the brake bandwagon. The SVX brakes though not the worlds best are still darn good for under 100mph and moderate agressive driving. Or you could start to diet... say 1000lbs! Remember, if you can lock your brakes up you have all the braking your contact point (tires) can take.

VOTE RON PAUL 08!
OWNER OF THE FASTEST NA SVX WITHOUT THE NEED FOR AN * BEHIND OUR RECORD!

Right Bash Brother!:D

Crazy_pilot 08-10-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
once I get my projects in line with the built motors I will be making the move to get the 6pot wilwoods on my car... When I get my new brackets made... I will run a couple batches for people later on

Tom

Any idea what the Willwood calipers etc. will cost Tom?

jeffast 08-10-2007 09:30 PM

currently i'm about to install raybestos crosdrilled slotted rotors, they were $120 for both and some hawk ferro carbon street pads i'll post a review when i get a chance to be hard on them. gonna be 9 months as i am with out license at the moment

TomsSVX 08-10-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Any idea what the Willwood calipers etc. will cost Tom?

Not sure yet... Wilwood was very unwilling to cooperate with me in getting a real kit made so I am gonna have to make my own:rolleyes:

Tom

dmnknightomega6 08-11-2007 02:00 AM

I agree with the pads/rotors/lines upgrades. The brakes we have is similar to an isuzu SUV (rodeo was it?). doug (wazawat) suggest a rebuild is good for autocrossing with the aforementioned upgrade. I tried just changing the fluid and already the difference is remarkable.

Brakes will stop you fast enough if you stomp on them on time. The more pistons (well beyond 2) is actually designed for precision braking than stopping power. Bite is surface area of the rotor and pad resistance.

EBC green or red pads are excellent too.

But... Nothing beats looking good.

Cheers

benebob 08-11-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast
currently i'm about to install raybestos crosdrilled slotted rotors, they were $120 for both and some hawk ferro carbon street pads i'll post a review when i get a chance to be hard on them. gonna be 9 months as i am with out license at the moment

Cross drilled and slotted actually hurt braking ability as you loose surface contact between your pad and brake. Only advantage is they have a slightly flatter fade curve as they don't heat up quite as fast as solid vented rotors. Keeping your fluid proper (changed a minimum of 1 ever 2 years), lines in good shape (you don't need ss lines, new rubber ones are just fine. FYI bike companies tell you to replace your lines ever couple of years too!

VOTE RON PAUL 08!
OWNER OF THE FASTEST NA SVX WITHOUT THE NEED FOR AN * BEHIND OUR RECORD!

Right BB!