The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is your roof sticking open? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26810)

SUBBYRU89 06-16-2005 11:18 AM

Is your roof sticking open?

Hocrest's was and this is what I did....

On the roof part itself there are tabs (1 on each side) that are supposed to slide into this kinda crooked braket thingy...as you slide the roof forward watch the tab(s). Hocrest's wasn't closing because the passenger side tab wasn't sliding into the bracket properly...it was getting hung up on the corner of it. So I got a small flat head screwdriver and pushed the tab enough to get it to a 90 degree angle. From constantly hitting the corner it kept bending out almost into a 45 degree angle which inturn prohibited the roof from closing properly . I believe if not taken care of in time it eventually would A) break off (not sure if metal or plastic<assumptions>) or B)slide on the outside of the bracket inturn making it break or stick into the closed position.

Hope this helps.

Hocrest 06-16-2005 11:31 AM

Thank you for fixing my sunroof :D:D

I'll try to get some pictures to add to the post in a day or two when I get my car back ;)

Rotorflyr 06-16-2005 11:32 AM

I'll have to take a peek at this, as mine will get to the "tilt" position and not want to drop down to the fully closed position, but opens just fine. I figured the track probably needed some adjustment (as well as a good cleaning and lube)
Thanks for the info! :D

SoobCrazy 06-14-2010 01:20 PM

Re: Is your roof sticking open?

I'm having the same problem as Rotorflyr. My roof opens properly, but really doesn't like closing. Anyone figure out the root cause of this problem?

kwren 06-14-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoobCrazy (Post 650009)
I'm having the same problem as Rotorflyr. My roof opens properly, but really doesn't like closing. Anyone figure out the root cause of this problem?

Please refer back to post #1:D

Keith:cool:

SoobCrazy 06-14-2010 01:50 PM

Thanks Keith, but that wasn't what I ment. Bending the tab out of the way doesn't fix the original problem. Something broke or is worn out and is causing an extreme amount of play in the tracks for the roof panel. This is manifesting itself by snagging the guide.

I'll rephrase my question. Has anyone found and replaced the part the causes the sunroof to hang up in the tracks in the first place?

kwren 06-14-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoobCrazy (Post 650017)
Thanks Keith, but that wasn't what I ment. Bending the tab out of the way doesn't fix the original problem. Something broke or is worn out and is causing an extreme amount of play in the tracks for the roof panel. This is manifesting itself by snagging the guide.

I'll rephrase my question. Has anyone found and replaced the part the causes the sunroof to hang up in the tracks in the first place?

Welcome...
My hi-mileage SVX has 198.000+ and always works great so I haven't had a chance to get into that part of it...
Sorry I can't help.:( Someone will come up with something.)

Keith:cool:

svxcess 06-14-2010 05:02 PM

I had a similar problem. It would open fine. When closing, it travelled forward almost to close, but would not drop down from tilted position.

The fix came from svxcuseme.

I did the modification to both sides and have not had a problem since.

......http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...seme/33943.JPG

......http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...seme/33946.JPG

Rather than hit the piece of plastic head on, the cut now actually guides the tab into the proper position. You,ll never notice the cut.

SoobCrazy 06-14-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 650028)

I had a similar problem. It would open fine. When closing, it travelled forward almost to close, but would not drop down from tilted position.

I went over your modification the very first time my roof stuck open, and may try it if I can't find a better solution.

I would like to figure out exactly what causes the roof panel to loosen over time. Why does it start sticking in the first place? Even if it means removing the roof assembly, I would rather know the problem will never happen again.

Oh, and I don't want to cut up my baby! :(

nexus_7 07-09-2010 06:07 PM

the little cut helped me. Today all of a sodden it would not close...I was like WTF! Came home a few hours later, searched the site, and like always someone else fixed it. Thanks guys. :)

mkud28 07-26-2011 05:23 PM

Sorry for ressurection of an old thread, but what did you guys use to cut the piece. I am afraid of hitting my roof with it or worse my finger :eek: Any advice from those who have done this would be appreciated.

svxcess 07-26-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkud28 (Post 682690)
Sorry for resurrection of an old thread, but what did you guys use to cut the piece? I am afraid of hitting my roof with it or worse my finger :eek: Any advice from those who have done this would be appreciated.

You could shave off the corner with a heavy-duty utility knife.

But I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel on a slow speed. Either way is safe and easy to do.

mkud28 07-26-2011 06:47 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I dont have a dremel so I guess I will try the knife.