The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Air out dash vents (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15740)

gamblergw 01-18-2004 06:45 PM

Air out dash vents

When i put my climet control on auto or any other position, I dont get any air out the dash vents. The air seems to work fine but all the air is below the dash. Nothing coming out the dash vents. I have checked to make sure they are open.. Any answers? Jim

Ralph Gibbs 01-18-2004 07:26 PM

heater/cooler air vents

Hi Jim, there was some discussion on heating/ cooling not to
long ago. For a/c I get air in the face from the vents. Here in the
great white north we are experiencing -25 to -30 c at present and the hot air blows from the floor. I did try something when the SVX was nice and warm. I changed the temp. from 23 c to 20 c
and what happened was this; the SVX called for cool outside air and it came through the vents on the dash.
Hope this helps you........Ralph

gcookaustin 01-18-2004 08:52 PM

Well, seeing as how you're in AZ... :)

Do a search on the board for this topic. You'll find you can look to the right under the driver's footwell at the climate control levers that move to control the vents. One may appear to get stuck part of the way. You can move it by hand to free it, and apply some sort of grease or something to the track.

Aredubjay 01-18-2004 11:04 PM

Heat will not come out the dash vents. The engineers of the SVX designed the system NOT to blow out the vents. Heat is directed to the floor and a bit to through the windshield vents, but not to the dash. The reasoning (or so I've read) is that the Subaru engineers decided that the air, coming out of dash vents, dried the driver's eyes out. Since heat rises, they figured that the car would warm nicely without sending heat to the dash.

petesvx2 01-18-2004 11:32 PM

Hmm...I have been having the same problem! The no heat through dash vents idea is very logical though :)

paddlesnz 01-19-2004 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Heat will not come out the dash vents. The engineers of the SVX designed the system NOT to blow out the vents. Heat is directed to the floor and a bit to through the windshield vents, but not to the dash. The reasoning (or so I've read) is that the Subaru engineers decided that the air, coming out of dash vents, dried the driver's eyes out. Since heat rises, they figured that the car would warm nicely without sending heat to the dash.
But heat will come out of the dash vents on non-US models. Did the Subaru engineers not care about non-US drivers?:confused:

gamblergw 01-19-2004 11:52 AM

air not heat

Its not the heat i am worried about. Its the air conditioning i am concerned about. I am in AZ and it does get HOT here... Thanks guys.. I will try to check under the dash for the control you are talking about..... Jim

Aredubjay 01-19-2004 11:59 AM

Re: air not heat

Quote:

Originally posted by gamblergw
Its not the heat i am worried about. Its the air conditioning i am concerned about. I am in AZ and it does get HOT here... Thanks guys.. I will try to check under the dash for the control you are talking about..... Jim

Duh! Sorry, man, I'm spacin'.

Either the actuator is getting weak, or the door is getting stiff.

The actuator you'd be looking for is under the dash, on the driver's side of the tranny tunnel, just under the radio/cd player position. Shoot the linkage with a little silocone spray (I use WD 40 but have gotten hell for it, so I won't suggest it unless you're comfortable with the "bouquet" for a short period of time). If shooting the linkage doesn't do the trick, the actator may have gone south which is NOT an inexpensive fix, sorry to say.

gamblergw 01-19-2004 01:51 PM

thanks Randy,, will try that...... Jim

gamblergw 01-19-2004 02:47 PM

works now

Rabdy ,I just went out and looked under the dash and found the lever and moved it and it came un stuck.. Works fine now. Thanks again.....jim

Aredubjay 01-19-2004 03:08 PM

Re: works now

Quote:

Originally posted by gamblergw
Rabdy ,I just went out and looked under the dash and found the lever and moved it and it came un stuck.. Works fine now. Thanks again.....jim

Excellent! Welcome to "in your face" (pun intended) SVX fun! :D:D:D