The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I thought the SVX had no performance support. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44874)

Twinboosted 05-24-2008 04:48 PM

I thought the SVX had no performance support.

Hello all. My name is Jake Wagg. I am a Nissan 300ZX fan and I own a 1990 Twin turbo. For many years I have admired the SVX in a way, because it is unique and rare. I have always thought that the SVX had no performance support ( I really haven't found much anyway), but there is somebody around town here in Great Falls, MT that is supposedly pushing 565 WHP with a twin turbo flat 6, 6 speed and buy what I have heard he is pushing low 10s in the quarter. I didn't realize that SVXs had such mods to put them in this power level. Is it common for people to turbo there SVXs? It's news to me.

redlightningsvx 05-24-2008 04:52 PM

does this guy have an svx that's twin turbo'd or has the engine that's twin turbo'd?

SVXRide 05-24-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboosted (Post 548819)
Hello all. My name is Jake Wagg. I am a Nissan 300ZX fan and I own a 1990 Twin turbo. For many years I have admired the SVX in a way, because it is unique and rare. I have always thought that the SVX had no performance support ( I really haven't found much anyway), but there is somebody around town here in Great Falls, MT that is supposedly pushing 565 WHP with a twin turbo flat 6, 6 speed and buy what I have heard he is pushing low 10s in the quarter. I didn't realize that SVXs had such mods to put them in this power level. Is it common for people to turbo there SVXs? It's news to me.

key here is "supposedly"....I think either someone is pulling your leg or they've confused the SVX with a Supra (along with the configuration of the 6 cylinders;))
-Bill

Twinboosted 05-24-2008 10:00 PM

Well the "source" that I heard this from knows what a SVX is, and he stated that it had a built flat 6 (not sure what engine code you guys have) and had twin GT28RS turbos. I take it that this is not common in the SVX community? I have yet to see the car myself, but several people have mentioned it.
Is it unusual to find an SVX upgraded to this level?

YourConfused 05-24-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboosted (Post 548843)
Well the "source" that I heard this from knows what a SVX is, and he stated that it had a built flat 6 (not sure what engine code you guys have) and had twin GT28RS turbos. I take it that this is not common in the SVX community? I have yet to see the car myself, but several people have mentioned it.

Our flat 6 or h 6 or whatever you wanna call it is a EG33 engine code.
There are a handful of people that have done much to their motors, so most of us are not much above the stock power levels. My attempts at gaining a better performing car by purchasing 'performance' parts from a paticular SVX ecu-tuning company have not yielded any positive results, so I will never see high HP levels either.

p.s. I'm just glad our engine bay isn't as packed as yours.

Twinboosted 05-25-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 548845)
I'm just glad our engine bay isn't as packed as yours.

Yes, the engine compartment for the Z32(90-96 300ZX) is very cramped but can be cleaned up a bit buy deleting emissions systems an unnecessary components as well as relocating other components out of the way.

Sir. Nate 05-25-2008 12:11 AM

I'm the polar opposite of Twinboosted, have a SVX and love 300zx's

mysvxrocks 05-25-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboosted (Post 548850)
but can be cleaned up a bit buy deleting emissions systems

I didnt know that you could do that... :confused:

Not that I want to, but I thought you couldnt. Isnt it a law in say California? Is it not where you are?

-Dennis

zukiru 05-25-2008 02:48 AM

where do you get California from Montana? :p

mysvxrocks 05-25-2008 02:55 AM

Sorry, I just re read that one and its kinda confusing, lol.

What I meant was, isn't there a law in California where emissions have to be at a certain standard or something?

I was asking if there was a similar law where he lives.

lechnoid 05-25-2008 07:40 AM

There's the similar federal law (Clean Air Act) that allows a fine of up to $25,000 for tampering with a vehicle's emission systems.

Twinboosted 05-25-2008 10:29 AM

I currently live in Montana where they don't have any emissions laws. There are tons of 300ZX owners(even in CA) that have deleted just about every emissions system on their car, and as long as they slap on some cats before the test they pass with no problems. Some have actually tested better than someone with with a car equipped with all the systems. There have ben a few guys actually passing the sniffer without having cats at all. Just change the fuel mapping on the EMS.
The emissions systems on the 300ZX are actually a joke and cause more problems than good. The EGR usually fails and the AIV fills up with water in a matter of months and fails rendering them pretty much useless.
As for the fine for removing the systems, I have not heard of that. I only know that for a visual inspection, they check for cats. In order for them to find out they these systems were deleted, they would have to be Nissan mechanics with experience on the 300ZX which the chances of that are like winning the power ball.

joe62890 05-25-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboosted (Post 548879)
I currently live in Montana where they don't have any emissions laws. There are tons of 300ZX owners(even in CA) that have deleted just about every emissions system on their car, and as long as they slap on some cats before the test they pass with no problems. Some have actually tested better than someone with with a car equipped with all the systems. There have ben a few guys actually passing the sniffer without having cats at all. Just change the fuel mapping on the EMS.
The emissions systems on the 300ZX are actually a joke and cause more problems than good. The EGR usually fails and the AIV fills up with water in a matter of months and fails rendering them pretty much useless.
As for the fine for removing the systems, I have not heard of that. I only know that for a visual inspection, they check for cats. In order for them to find out they these systems were deleted, they would have to be Nissan mechanics with experience on the 300ZX which the chances of that are like winning the power ball.

Haha, I'm lucky. Arkansas doesn't have any emissions. The SVX actually still has a sticker from 1997 when we stopped doing them. That's funny that even with no emissions some of yall are passing sniffer tests.

Crazy_pilot 05-25-2008 12:15 PM

As far as I know, no SVX has ever been twin-turbo'd. There isn't much that this site hasn't seen at some time or another. Even if that one has been, and is putting out the power that guy claims, I have my doubts on the 1/4 tme. The SVX is a HEAVY beast (3600+ lbs), and is not easily lightened. To run low 10's I think you'd need more power than that, or some serious weight reduction work.

SVXRide 05-25-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboosted (Post 548843)

Extremely unusual to the point of nonexistence:o The closest anyone has gotten is a single turbo now running on E85, a couple of folks running ECUTune's Stage III Whipple-based supercharger, and one person running a Jet Technologies T-5 supercharger. Two (?) of the Stage III kits are running on "built" engines, while all of the others (to my knowledge) are running on stock bottom ends. We have yet to see anything north of ~270 whp to date. Personally, I'd love to see pics of the SVX you're hearing about.:)
-Bill