The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fast idle doesn't reset automatically (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52914)

rlutz 01-22-2010 01:29 PM

Fast idle doesn't reset automatically

A minor annoyance, but my SVX fast idle does not reset itself after the car warms up (stays up near 1700-2000rpm). I can drive 30 miles on the freeway in the morning, come off and the idle will run at 2000rpm (in neutral). It will reset itself, if I briefly turn-off the engine and re-start (drops back under 1000rpm and stays that way for the rest of my commute).

Any ideas?

The car is garaged, so starting temps are not really cold, only around 45-50F. Outside temps are colder 5-35F...

92 LS-L
169,000 miles

shelfy 01-22-2010 01:33 PM

Re: Fast idle doesn't reset automatically

mine does this after it was converted to a 5MT.

processengr 01-22-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlutz (Post 631612)
A minor annoyance, but my SVX fast idle does not reset itself after the car warms up (stays up near 1700-2000rpm). I can drive 30 miles on the freeway in the morning, come off and the idle will run at 2000rpm (in neutral). It will reset itself, if I briefly turn-off the engine and re-start (drops back under 1000rpm and stays that way for the rest of my commute).

Any ideas?

The car is garaged, so starting temps are not really cold, only around 45-50F. Outside temps are colder 5-35F...

92 LS-L
169,000 miles

I had this exact problem with both of our '92s. If you shut the car off and restarted the idle would return to normal. Shifting from 1st to second was a bit delayed and down shifting was a little off also. In both cases, replacing the TPS fixed the problem.

rlutz 01-22-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 631614)
I had this exact problem with both of our '92s. If you shut the car off and restarted the idle would return to normal. Shifting from 1st to second was a bit delayed and down shifting was a little off also. In both cases, replacing the TPS fixed the problem.

Thanks! Worth a try...

Ouch! $213 at 1stsubaruparts.com, now why did I think it might only be a $60-$70 part! :eek:

dcarrb 01-22-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlutz (Post 631620)
Thanks! Worth a try...

Ouch! $213 at 1stsubaruparts.com, now why did I think it might only be a $60-$70 part! :eek:

You can get the identical part from Autozone (or is it Advance?) for something in the neighborhood or $175. At least that was their price a couple of years ago...

dcb

Trevor 01-22-2010 06:44 PM

It is very possible that the TPS simply requires adjustment, rather than replacing. The associated throttle stop adjustment can also be affected, if things here are haywire.

Refer the how too stuff for instructions. ;)

trophy956 01-22-2010 07:14 PM

tps being out of range would cause many more problems ,like erratic shifts and a bad idle ,these cars use a aux air valve for fast idle if it is stuck open it will run the engine fast ,the valve is mounted on the manifold between #4 and 6 cylinders pinch the line off going to the throttle body and see if the idle drops
charlie

Trevor 01-22-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophy956 (Post 631649)
tps being out of range would cause many more problems ,like erratic shifts and a bad idle ,these cars use a aux air valve for fast idle if it is stuck open it will run the engine fast ,the valve is mounted on the manifold between #4 and 6 cylinders pinch the line off going to the throttle body and see if the idle drops
charlie

A TPS slightly out, in respect of being fully returned to zero, or preventing the throttle to completely close, will not cause the multiple problems mentioned and can not be ruled out as is suggested.

However, it is granted that the fault could be the result of several issues.