The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking the 3.3 has got to go... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53628)

Bonestock 03-28-2010 10:11 PM

Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

I have always wanted a SVX, since the came out back in 91. Now that I got one (only had it for a few months) I guess I am finding it WAY too slow. I have had some pretty serious rides. 420hp Evo, 410hp STi, 390hp WRX, 500hp R33 GTR-Vspec etc... I think I am going to swap in a EJ258 w/ 6MT really soon. The 3.3 just doesn't have any support and I am not one to tune using "chips". I like to be able to flash a new map on the fly. My Evo didn't go anywhere without a laptop and a Tactrix cable. LOL

From what I read on here you guys really dont like engine swaps.... I guess I'll be hated on here as well. I am dedicated to two cars, Subaru's and the Pontiac Fiero. I have had 8 Subaru's and like 25 Fieros over the yrs. I guess the Fiero can be blamed for my engine swap love. I have performed all the popular Fiero swaps and now I think its time to do the SVX. I doubt it will be as easy as the swap was in my old WRX. I put a JDM STi EJ208 w/ ver7 JDM STi 6MT and it couldn't have been easier... 8 wires (for the AVCS) and I had to re-clock the heater hoses... oh the horror! LOL

I would try the simple stuff like N20 and basic bolt ons but I just don't think the original 19yr old 80K mile drivetrain would tolerate it. I couldn't find ANY specific info on anyone actually going forward with a WRX or STi swap. I wonder why? Does anyone know of this swap actually been performed and had it running and driving?

92 SVX 03-28-2010 10:43 PM

Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Why not turbo the 3.3 with the sti 6 speed behind it?

Green1995SVX 03-28-2010 10:46 PM

IBanothersvxruined

redlightningsvx 03-28-2010 11:02 PM

I remember reading about someone puting in a ej motor in the svx but vant fin any threads right now.

Freeman 03-28-2010 11:15 PM

Hey at least your keeping it and not parting it or selling it to some ham fisted teenager.

92 SVX 03-29-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92 SVX (Post 640217)
Why not turbo the 3.3 with the sti 6 speed behind it?

Well a little searching and I think I found my answer.
Cost. A turboed 3.3 would be pretty interesting but you really got to spend some cash on it.:eek:

SilverSpear 03-29-2010 01:15 AM

Well this mod is interesting somehow, but I dunno, I cannot really "FEEL" the SVX without the EG33. They are twins for me. :rolleyes:

dcarrb 03-29-2010 05:53 AM

Why not just buy a faster car rather than trying to make an SVX into something it isn't (and ruining it in the process)?

dcb

LetItSnow 03-29-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 640247)
Why not just buy a faster car rather than trying to make an SVX into something it isn't (and ruining it in the process)?

There are several SVXi with very stout engines among the forum that are hardly ruined. With the above statement, you might be blanketing manual trans swaps, as well. Some would say that with higher power or a stick, they would have been right in the first place. Others would say that with higher power or a stick, they would have kept up with their marketplace competition at the time.

The Fiero is a great example of a car that started with an engine bay that needed emptying (go go, 2.5L Iron Duke) so the inspiration is clear.

I've wondered what it would be like to place the EZ30R engine in the SVX (250hp stock and open source tunable, I believe) and I'm not alone. The EZ36 supposedly has a fistful of security interlocks along the harness including the ignition... If it's true, then the question of how hard it would be to override stands, although a standalone could be tacked on at that point.

I can't justify any particular direction, but I'm surely not afraid to see what someone can concoct with an engine that is not the bizarre critter we call EG33.

dcarrb 03-29-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 640250)
There are several SVXi with very stout engines among the forum that are hardly ruined. With the above statement, you might be blanketing manual trans swaps, as well.

Understand I'm just a knucklehead who tends to like driving old cars. The whole modding thing, and the "need for speed" in particular, escapes me completely (especially with these things costing more and more just to keep operational and reliable). I've always thought the sweetest classics (automotive or otherwise) are those hewing closest to the original, and that's what informs my opinions. I respect those here who can artfully do as they will with these cars, I'm aware mine is a minority opinion, and that's fine.

dcb

LetItSnow 03-29-2010 07:50 AM

It's another issue of Hot Rod magazine. ;) Let's see how he does?

crash_2365 03-29-2010 09:44 AM

I think a well done STi or, like my friend is doing for his Impreza, a well built ej22t swap, would be interesting. Or you could be really different and go for the jdm 2.0 twin turbo setup.

Think about how much each one of those swaps would cost though. STi drivetrains are stupid expensive and the other turbos aren't exactly cheap.

You could build a high power ez30-36 but I think Perrin's (?) build proves that it's less cost effective to make the same power on a block that is less durable than the eg.

Your best bet would probably just be sticking with the eg33. If you wanted to build crazy power, sleeve it, pick up some rods and low compression pistons, get a set of cams reground, get yourself a hydra and go to town. In the end, you'd still be be cheaper than a built sti or whatever other engine you'd want to try.

Bonestock 03-29-2010 09:45 AM

Yep those are the typical responses I thought I would get. Some of you just dont get it. Its JUST a car. Nothing more. I tend to think that any car as a blank piece of paper waiting for its owner to create.

For the life of me I cant understand why ANYONE could think these cars couldn't use a dose of performance and ....here goes.... parts availability.

Dont feel bad diehards, even if I had a Veyron I'd drive the freggen wheels off it. :lol: And crank up the boost!

Bonestock 03-29-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash_2365 (Post 640271)
I think a well done STi or, like my friend is doing for his Impreza, a well built ej22t swap, would be interesting. Or you could be really different and go for the jdm 2.0 twin turbo setup.

Think about how much each one of those swaps would cost though. STi drivetrains are stupid expensive and the other turbos aren't exactly cheap.

You could build a high power ez30-36 but I think Perrin's (?) build proves that it's less cost effective to make the same power on a block that is less durable than the eg.

Your best bet would probably just be sticking with the eg33. If you wanted to build crazy power, sleeve it, pick up some rods and low compression pistons, get a set of cams reground, get yourself a hydra and go to town. In the end, you'd still be be cheaper than a built sti or whatever other engine you'd want to try.

No twin turbos... keep it simple. Built STi engine? Why? Drop in a stock one. Do you think my 400+ STi was built? Can you imagine the cost of a fully built 3.3? If you went that route, you'd still be N/A, no where near 300hp and still have to do something about the EM & tranny. Meh, turbos are fairly cheap. and the biggest expense out of the whole idea is the 6MT... they can (note I said can) be pretty expensive.

As for engines... (just for reference)
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/UsedEngines.htm

Sean486 03-29-2010 09:56 AM

Actually I am quite interested in seeing you try this if you can get it done. If you have the skills, time and money go for it, and take plenty of photographs for us along the way.

Just make sure that if you start it, you work on it until it is back on the road. I would hate to see you start then not finish and in the process ruin a perfectly good SVX.