The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OEM EG33 engine reseal kit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52699)

1986nate 12-30-2009 06:41 PM

OEM EG33 engine reseal kit

I know there have been discussions/arguments on here that I have seen a few times about what is and is not included in the OEM engine reseal kit for the SVX, mainly pertaining to the 20 valve cover "washer" gaskets. Many have said/thought that these are not included when in fact they are. My point of this thread is just simply to clarify exactly what is and what is not in this kit. I can type in all part numbers included and scan the printout that I have when I get a chance probably after the weekend. If anyone is curious about anything before I get this posted, they can ask on here and I will get back as soon as possible.

-Nate:)

Also, if the mods think that this is pointless, then they can go ahead and delete this, doesn't matter to me:p

Crazy_pilot 12-30-2009 10:36 PM

Re: OEM EG33 engine reseal kit

Mine contained all 20 valve cover bolt gaskets. It did not, however, come with the half moon seals that go at the rear of the heads (P/N 11051AA070, 4 req'd). I also do not believe it included the water pump gasket or thermostat gasket (P/N 21236AA010 and 21114AA051).

SoCal LS-L 12-30-2009 10:39 PM

Whered you get it Nate? I need to do mine bad!!

1986nate 12-31-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 629356)
Mine contained all 20 valve cover bolt gaskets. It did not, however, come with the half moon seals that go at the rear of the heads (P/N 11051AA070, 4 req'd). I also do not believe it included the water pump gasket or thermostat gasket (P/N 21236AA010 and 21114AA051).

It does come with a Water pump gasket (21114AA050 GSKT-WATER PUMP) also has "SEALING-WATER PMP" #21116AA020. It does not appear to have the half moon seals as you say or the thermostat gasket.

Is there anything else that I maybe should get other than the 4 half moon seals (are these possibly meant to be reused? just curious, that's all) ? I am getting all of these parts for a forum member in Australia as the parts there cost so much.

And I got them from 1stsubaruparts.com. $235.72 and if that's all you bought, it's 10% shipping so $23.58 shipping on just this.

Also, ordered a bunch of other parts(some that needed ordering in) and total time from placing it to it arriving at my doorstep was 16 days. From when they sent the email saying it was shipped, just 2 days from WA to WI. Shipped Mon, got it Wed evening.

SoCal LS-L 12-31-2009 12:35 PM

Does anyone know the link to the valve cover gasket how-to ??

STeeL25T 01-04-2010 07:36 AM

I got my kit but I haven't had time to look through it much, does it come with valve seals or other head related things like that?

1986nate 01-04-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 629685)
I got my kit but I haven't had time to look through it much, does it come with valve seals or other head related things like that?

Yes it does, Joel (aust92pearl) who I ordered the kit had also wondered and both YT and someone else confirmed they do come with it:)

and as noted previously in this thread, it does not come with the half moon seals for the heads...

svxcess 01-04-2010 12:13 PM

YT ordered a complete seal kit for me when he rebuilt my engine.

It came with the valve seals and head gaskets. He gave me credit for the head gaskets since I was using the Cometic ones.

thickasxthieves 02-02-2010 11:38 AM

I'm going to be doing a reseal myself I just ordered valve cover gaskets and washers, crank seal, cam seals, but not head gaskets... do the head gaskets have to be done or can i reuse the old ones or will head gaskets not even come into play. please help a noob :(

1986nate 02-02-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thickasxthieves (Post 633200)
I'm going to be doing a reseal myself I just ordered valve cover gaskets and washers, crank seal, cam seals, but not head gaskets... do the head gaskets have to be done or can i reuse the old ones or will head gaskets not even come into play. please help a noob :(

umm, why not do the head gaskets??? you're already pulling the motor to do the work I assume. The HG that are original are prone to fail sometime soon just for the simple fact of the age of them. Avoid the headaches later on, get a full reseal kit, and replace everything at once. The full reseal kit is only about $260 shipped to your door.:)

svxcess 02-02-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thickasxthieves (Post 633200)
Do the head gaskets have to be done or can i reuse the old ones or will head gaskets not even come into play. please help a noob :(

Definitely do the head gaskets! This is the time to do them and you should never have to worry about them failing again. It is more a function of age than mileage (I had to repace mine in my 96 with only 128,000 miles)

New HG's come with the reseal kit anyway, so use them. I GUARANTEE that you will never be able to reuse a head gasket that is 16 years old and 175,000 miles of use.

The P/N for the gasket and reseal kit is 10105AA060

thickasxthieves 02-02-2010 12:00 PM

k i guess ill just order some up then. and no i wasnt planning on pulling the engine, unless its impossible to do all this without pullin it.

Crazy_pilot 02-02-2010 12:34 PM

The vast majority of the rubber seals (valve covers, cam, front main) can be replaced with the engine in the car. To replace the rear main seal you must pull either the tranny or the engine. If you're going to be pulling the motor do the head gaskets. It's basically impossible to do them in the car, and the SVX is a relatively easy vehicle to yank the motor out of.

aust92pearl 02-21-2010 10:49 PM

reseal kit arrived today :D:D:D:lol:
thankyou nate

SoCal LS-L 02-27-2010 07:24 PM

Ill be finally doing my valve cover gaskets in about a week, and reading this thread confirmed that they want WAY too much for the seals for the mounting bolts.

My question is: Can somebody tell me the approximate dimensions (diameter, center hole diameter, thickness) so that I can try to find them from some other source than Chaplins Subaru/1stSubaruParts/dealer etc etc. I may be able to source them from the local parts or hardware stores. This of course, is if they aren't too form fitted to be possibly substituted :rolleyes: