The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABS, a necessity or a neusance? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42256)

redlinedeath 12-09-2007 05:13 PM

ABS, a necessity or a neusance?

So to ABS, or not to ABS, that is the question...corny, i know, but thats how i roll.
anyhow, heres my question, ive been driving for about 9 years, maybe a bit longer, and have never owned a car with ABS, teaching me to find the traction limits of every car ive owned. i live in a snowy areay during the winters, and rainy(ish) during the springs, and late falls (southeast wisconsin). ive slid every car ive owned to a stop 7-8 times, and i mean looooong, scary high speed slides... but those were all within a day or two of getting the car road ready, tune-up, testing and such, and was just me screwing around, finding the car, tire and brake limits for those *oh sh!t* moments, or testing and learning new tires or new brake pads. ive had the occasional 1-2 foot slides while brakeing on bad fresh snow or ice, but those dont concern me, i never follow closely, and keep an eye on surroundings at all times, and always drive within my limits. the problem lays in the fact that every time ive driven a car with abs in slippery weather, ive felt VERY uncomfortable with the brakeing feel and results of ABS, and when the svx is done and on the road, there will still be snow and ice, and it will be my daily driver, and im a little worried about this. so what are everyones views on abs, and what would happen if i removed all the abs "bs" from my svx? flames, suggestions, comments and input welcome!

NiftySVX 12-09-2007 09:51 PM

I hate that my svx doesn't have ABS. Alot of people seem to dislike it, especially on snow, but I won't ever consider buying another car without it. I have actually considered trying to get all the components and install it on mine but that would be alot of trouble for a car that is being phased out of daily driving and into a project/toy. My white SVX had ABS and i loved it. It can save your ass in the rain/dry pavement IMHO.

NikFu S. 12-09-2007 10:16 PM

If you can drive without it, congrats. I have been. There are times when it is useful, though.

redlinedeath 12-09-2007 10:59 PM

so would you suggest i leave them in, just in case?

subbieatnz 12-10-2007 03:04 AM

i dnt mind the abs on mine but im thinkin of ditchin mine since i wana turn my 1 in 2 road legal track car

Ricochet 12-10-2007 03:11 AM

abs in the snow really helps

crazyhorse 12-10-2007 03:14 AM

You'd be in for ALL kinds of legal ramifications if you ever have an accident with the ABS disabled!

SilverSpear 12-10-2007 03:17 AM

I think it is stupid to remove the ABS from a car such as the SVX. You definitely need it especially because of the weight of the car. :tard:

Manarius 12-10-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 514274)
abs in the snow really helps

It does? I've found that it hasn't. At least not in slushy snow.

JaySVX 12-10-2007 08:29 AM

ABS doesn't just keep you from locking tires, but actually improves stopping distance. As much as the SVX weighs, on slippery surfaces it will easily slide a good distance, especially if your on a bend, where the tires would normally lock more easily. So going around bends your less likely to lose control with ABS as well. I've owned both, and driven both at great lengths in all sorts of weather, and I have to say I prefer ABS.

Another way to look at it:

I prefer RWD to AWD, because I've learned to not spin my rear tires in the snow. I'm just gonna stay RWD.

Now that just sounds silly doesn't it? Just because you know the limits, doesn't mean your going to get the traction of AWD with RWD. Same with ABS, even if you know the limits, you'll still get better stopping distance with ABS and more control than if you didn't have ABS

JaySVX 12-10-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 514300)
It does? I've found that it hasn't. At least not in slushy snow.

Tap the breaks when turning in slush, your wheels will lock. You'll have to straiten the wheels again before they'll start moving again, which around the bend isn't entirely possible. ABS will prevent the problem from occurring to begin with.

redlinedeath 12-10-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX (Post 514329)

Another way to look at it:

I prefer RWD to AWD, because I've learned to not spin my rear tires in the snow. I'm just gonna stay RWD.

didnt think about it that way(though that is roughly what i said isnt it:confused:, i suppose ill just leave it then. in the long run, its not worth the risk. and im not about to try and ride a sport bike in the snow. which reminds me, a friend of mine rode his R1 last winter. in wisconsin. we got dumped on bad last year. and i mean ALL winter, and used it to get EVERYWHERE. every single day. wow. some people...

MpSVX 12-10-2007 11:12 AM

I prefer non-abs, feels like the car has control not me. I feel safe knowing what my capabilities are driving. I wouldn't go as far as taking it out, although like they say everyone has there own perspectives... my 2cents:)

huck369 12-10-2007 11:24 AM

I'm one of the "I don't like ABS" people....as ABS only does what a good driver can do by their self….and it just adds to the list of “Things that can quit”

redlinedeath 12-10-2007 12:30 PM

mother fluck, now im getting confused with my own decisions. ill leave it in, and if the carbecomes a mostly race, occasional drive, ill remove it.