The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gps (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41851)

CorSVXette 11-14-2007 05:53 AM

Gps

Does anyone know of a portable GPS that works with our cars? I know there is something in our front windshield that does not allow the "e-zpass" to work and I think it also does not allow my 2 (two) portable GPS's to work either. They don't seem to be able to pick up a sattelite signal through that windshield. I have a Garmin (model 300? I think) and the Finedrive 400. Does anyone know of a brand/model that does work?

Tim 11-14-2007 06:10 AM

I have the Garmin C330 and the C340 successor. Both work in the front windshield under normal conditions. Sometimes it can take up to 5 to 10 minutes before the unit will be ready to navigate.

However, when going into the city, it loses reception pretty fast in between buildings. I Notice that the windshield causes the GPS to lose communication with a few of the satellites, because the signal strength indicator lowers by 1-2 bars when placed there.

A solution might be able to purchase the external antenna lead that you can run toward the back windows. This would allow your GPS to function the way it should.

CorSVXette 11-14-2007 06:28 AM

Do you put it on a certain spot of your winshield? I think I have the 330 and I usually put it on the left side of the windshiled. I had them both on the other day and drove around for over 30 minutes and got no reception. I noticed that if I took it off the windshield and held it in my hand near the side window I got reception, but I cannot drive around like that. Where on the window do you put it? Maybe I will have to look into that antenna adapter.

Tim 11-14-2007 06:36 AM

I keep mine set above the front drivers side tweeter. Are you driving in the actual new york city area? I noticed that my GPS just stops working when I'm in between the building because there aren't enough satellites to communicate with through the windshield and between the building. All of my suburb traveling and rural areas have not problems though.

You may need the GPS that has the newer processors that are designed to work better to communicate between buildings.

Mr. Pockets 11-14-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 508645)
Does anyone know of a portable GPS that works with our cars? I know there is something in our front windshield that does not allow the "e-zpass" to work and I think it also does not allow my 2 (two) portable GPS's to work either. They don't seem to be able to pick up a sattelite signal through that windshield. I have a Garmin (model 300? I think) and the Finedrive 400. Does anyone know of a brand/model that does work?

Paul, can either of your GPS receivers use external antennas? I don't really use my GPS any more, but I have an external antenna in my trunk. I just tucked it inside the liner on the trunk lid. I got fantastic signal strength from there and had a position lock in seconds every time I turned it on.

Hocrest 11-14-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets (Post 508674)
Paul, can either of your GPS receivers use external antennas? I don't really use my GPS any more, but I have an external antenna in my trunk. I just tucked it inside the liner on the trunk lid. I got fantastic signal strength from there and had a position lock in seconds every time I turned it on.

I was wondering how that would work??? I was thinking about putting my sirius antenna in the trunk to hide it. I thought it might work well through the fiberglass.

Mr. Pockets 11-14-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 508676)
I was wondering how that would work??? I was thinking about putting my sirius antenna in the trunk to hide it. I thought it might work well through the fiberglass.

It worked really well, actually. I haven't tried my Sirius antenna yet. I don't drive the SVX much, so that radio doesn't get mounted in there that often.

Sirius is awesome, though. :)

shotgunslade 11-14-2007 09:09 AM

My Garmin Nuvi 650 works just fine in the car. It does take 5 minutes or so to find the satellites when I turn it on. Sometimes, I just take it off the mount and hold it out the window to speed up the process. The place where it really gets mixed up is in areas with multiple closely linked freeway paths, especially around the GW bridge, the Hutch, Cross Bronx, etc. It can't tell which ramp you are on. I don't know if the radio opacity of the SVX windshield reduces the accuracy of its location, so that it can't tell exactly which of the stacked highways you're on.

mikecg 11-14-2007 09:27 AM

Do your GPS units have an option for an extrnal antenna. It might be a cheaper option than buying a whole new unit. I have a unit that hooks to my laptop and I run the antenna cable out my passenger door.

CorSVXette 11-14-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets (Post 508674)

OK Thanks. I will see if I can get an external antenna for the systems I have. let me ask you though, did you have the run a cable/wire from the unit to the back of the car where you have your external antenna?

Nick_C 11-16-2007 10:32 AM

My TOMTOM ONE works perfectly mounted on the inside of the windshield

Mr. Pockets 11-16-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 508748)
OK Thanks. I will see if I can get an external antenna for the systems I have. let me ask you though, did you have the run a cable/wire from the unit to the back of the car where you have your external antenna?

Of course, but it was a piece of cake. I just tucked the wire in between the passenger seat and the center console, under the right-rear floor mat, tucked it in between the right rear seat and the armrest, through to the trunk and then up under the trunk lid liner. I didn't attach it in any way to anything, besides the double-sided tape I used to stick it to the underside of the trunk lid.

The wire wasn't perfectly concealed, but I used the trunk for luggage a lot back then, and it was never in the way.

Landshark 11-16-2007 11:35 AM

this thread reminded me that my Garmin C330's battery was dead, so i searched around to look for battery replacement how-to's.

found some info how to do it cheaply without sending it back to Garmin, and then i saw a post about removing the bezel and hitting the reset button - now it works! it used to stay on for a minute or two and then shut off, but i just now had it on for a good 20 minutes. :banana:

just a heads-up for anyone with a Garmin and battery trouble.

Speedklix 11-16-2007 01:07 PM

our street pilot with an ext ant would not work in the SVX. I tried it in SickSubie's, the only way to get a signal was to put it all the way to the pillar. I think it was the first time I used it in an SVX, so it shouldn't have just been a fluke.

I would go the external ant idea if it is also a remote one (like with a cord), my external ant for gps is on the the turnk. I have one for gps and one for xm on opposite sides, looks like hinges until you see the little xm logo on one ;)

Bizarre 11-16-2007 01:26 PM

Nextel

I have Nextel with Telenavtrak for work.

Works OK provided antenna points straight up. Titanium Oxide in the windshield will block most transmissions.