The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting Ill (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2216)

Aredubjay 12-13-2001 03:07 PM

Getting Ill

I decided to go on a "virtual" shopping trip to Subaruparts.com. I wanted to check out what it would cost to change my struts and related components. I figured I'd go the distance and replace the springs, mounts (don't know if mine has the upgraded mounts or not). Ah, why not replace the dust covers while I'm at it -- I had them in. I keep clicking things I think I might need -- the rubber seats (upper and lower right and left front and rear), etc.

So far, I've racked up 792.70 in parts. That doesn't seem "too" bad, 'til you consider THE STRUTS AREN'T EVEN FIGURED IN!!! Luckily, I ALREADY HAVE THOSE!! Golly. My tummy don't feel good. And, of course, then, there's labor. Sheesh. At least, they pay for shipping. :rolleyes:

mohrds 12-13-2001 03:13 PM

If you are buying everything new, you can have a shop assemble them into safe assemblies, then put them in yourself.

Just my $.02 (what the hell happened to the cents symbol from the typwriters of yesterday)

Doug

Seraph 12-13-2001 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
If you are buying everything new, you can have a shop assemble them into safe assemblies, then put them in yourself.

Just my $.02 (what the hell happened to the cents symbol from the typwriters of yesterday)

Doug

you mean this one? : ¢?

ALT + 0162

Lwin

Green1995SVX 12-13-2001 04:56 PM

Re: Getting Ill

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I decided to go on a "virtual" shopping trip to Subaruparts.com. I wanted to check out what it would cost to change my struts and related components. I figured I'd go the distance and replace the springs, mounts (don't know if mine has the upgraded mounts or not). Ah, why not replace the dust covers while I'm at it -- I had them in. I keep clicking things I think I might need -- the rubber seats (upper and lower right and left front and rear), etc.

So far, I've racked up 792.70 in parts. That doesn't seem "too" bad, 'til you consider THE STRUTS AREN'T EVEN FIGURED IN!!! Luckily, I ALREADY HAVE THOSE!! Golly. My tummy don't feel good. And, of course, then, there's labor. Sheesh. At least, they pay for shipping. :rolleyes:

Randy -

Will your old stock springs be for sale? I need to buy a set. Let me know!

-Mike

Aredubjay 12-13-2001 04:59 PM

Re: Re: Getting Ill

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Randy -

Will your old stock springs be for sale? I need to buy a set. Let me know!

-Mike

Notice, I said "Virtual" shopping trip. Kind of a "fantasy" thing, here. My struts are not bad, yet, so, it may be a while before I change my springs . . . if at all.

Green1995SVX 12-13-2001 05:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Getting Ill

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Notice, I said "Virtual" shopping trip. Kind of a "fantasy" thing, here. My struts are not bad, yet, so, it may be a while before I change my springs . . . if at all.

UGH!!! Thanks for getting my hopes up!! See what you've done?!?!?!!?! <crying>

Just kidding ;) :D

-Mike

MoreIBNR 12-13-2001 09:43 PM

I would be surprized if your stock springs needed replacement. My opinion is that you can safely save that money.

By the way, I (with a lot of help from John) just did the job you are talking about - installed my KONIs, replaced all the mounts (rears were rusted away and I had lost 2-3 inches in height), replaced all the rubber seats (only the rear upper really needed to be replaced as there is a metal ring inside them that rusted away - all the others are just rubber and were fine, but I replaced them since I had them), replaced the helper guide on the rear as the old ones were rusted (well, I replaced only one of them, but that is another long story). All other parts hold up well or have little or no critical function. The dust covers do not need to be replaced unless yours are torn as well as the "bump stops" or whatever they are called.

Aredubjay 12-13-2001 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MoreIBNR
I would be surprized if your stock springs needed replacement. My opinion is that you can safely save that money.

By the way, I (with a lot of help from John) just did the job you are talking about - installed my KONIs, replaced all the mounts (rears were rusted away and I had lost 2-3 inches in height), replaced all the rubber seats (only the rear upper really needed to be replaced as there is a metal ring inside them that rusted away - all the others are just rubber and were fine, but I replaced them since I had them), replaced the helper guide on the rear as the old ones were rusted (well, I replaced only one of them, but that is another long story). All other parts hold up well or have little or no critical function. The dust covers do not need to be replaced unless yours are torn as well as the "bump stops" or whatever they are called.

John was the one who kinda spurred me on to this "fantasy" shopping trip. He had told me of your adventure. :) Thank God for breaker bars. :D I've noticed, at meets, that my car sits about an inch lower than others. That was the only reason I was considering buying new springs. I still may forego springs, though, and call my car "The only 'slightly lowered' SVX." :D (eat your heart out, Leo!) :D