The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   can i put a 92' trans into a 95'?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55098)

SVX 07-22-2010 09:30 AM

can i put a 92' trans into a 95'??

My 95' lsi has been sitting for over a year because I cannot find a transmission for her. I finally found one but its a 92' and I heard that its not compatible? What would I have to do to make this work?? I think its the front diff that's broke in my tranny, can I just swap diffs?? If anyone on here is from the Vancouver B.C. area and knows a good local subaru mechanic that would help too. I've tried to sell her as is and had no luck so any help is greatly appriciated!!!! Thanks, Pete.

icingdeath88 07-22-2010 09:39 AM

Re: can i put a 92' trans into a 95'??

The earlier transmissions don't last nearly as long as the later ones, so the '92s are generally avoided. You would probably be better off swapping the front diffs if you know that's what's wrong with it. Also, you could just use a different subaru transmission, such as the 4.44 gear ratio ones that tend to hold up a lot better than the SVX ones, you just have to change the rear diff also.

SVX 07-22-2010 09:59 AM

Looks like ill have to do the diff swap then. My options are few. Apparently this 92' trans was rebuilt by subaru recently, Is it possible that its stronger now? Also, I was told that the wiring harness or something is different from the 92' to the 95'? And that a 92' won't go in to a 95'??? Is that true? If it comes down to just swaping diffs, do you know if its a heafty job that requires a transmission tech to do?

svxfiles 07-22-2010 10:15 AM

If the 92 was recently rebuilt by Subaru then it should have all of the upgrades that the later SVX transmissions have.
Go for the 92.:)

SVX 07-22-2010 11:08 AM

I figured that the rebuilt 92' tranny should hold up for now, but will I need to replace the TCU?? Can I simply swap in the 92 tcu with the tranny? Is there different wiring? I just don't want to do all the work and then find out my car won't communicate with the tranny.

92_LSL 07-22-2010 11:30 AM

you should get a legacy transmission. :rolleyes:

SVX 07-22-2010 11:46 AM

Yes, idealy I shud put a better tranny in, perhaps one from a legacy, even better would be a 5 speed. However, I can't afford it!! I was lucky to find a used 92' rebuild for $400, now I just need to know if I can make it work!!!

DaveSVX 07-22-2010 02:29 PM

I know of an SVX mechanic in Surrey. He actually has, I think three SVXs and used to work for Subaru but now has his own shop. I have not yet had any work done by him but I have been to his shop and met him.
He seems like a really decent guy and says he has lots of references if you want them and he has done SVX transmission swaps including STI manual 5 speed. I may get him to put one in my '92. Anyway, I think he is out of town until August sometime but has sons that may be able to answer your questions in the meantime. If you want his info I can send you a PM.
Also, I know another SVX owner who had his transmission replaced by the guys down on Venables St. just east of Clark on the north side. I can't vouch for them but I know they are still there.