The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Timing cover (front/back/side) interchangeablity? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51054)

alia176 07-24-2009 09:26 AM

Timing cover (front/back/side) interchangeablity?

I didn't find anything doing a cursory search on this topic. Are the timing covers from a legacy interchangeable with the SVX? I assume that a DOHC timing cover will fit all other DOHC engine regardless of 4cyl or 6cyl. Valid assumption?

Thanks.

SoCal LS-L 07-24-2009 09:54 AM

Re: Timing cover (front/back/side) interchangeablity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 610912)
I didn't find anything doing a cursory search on this topic. Are the timing covers from a legacy interchangeable with the SVX? I assume that a DOHC timing cover will fit all other DOHC engine regardless of 4cyl or 6cyl. Valid assumption?

Thanks.

Nay, the SVX 3.3 is a non interference motor because the cams are permanently connected by a GEAR just behind the rear timing cover. This prevents the cams from spinning independent of one another, but as you can also see, theres only one driven cam on each bank.... and the timing cover was made to fit that configuration.

Edit: fixed...

ShiuludeSVX 07-24-2009 10:16 AM

I was just gonna say NO.

I just spake with my local dealership, and the parts guy has always been very helpful. No, he didn't wanna chase this down for me, cause he already knew the front ends are very different. But he was gonna do it anyways.

I saved him the time, and let him know not to go with that.
But it was worth a try.

alia176 07-25-2009 06:41 AM

Thanks very much. I'm heading off to the junk yard today so hopefully the svx there has the timing cover intact! I know there are some legacy's there so that's why I was asking/hoping!

svxpert 07-25-2009 11:56 PM

<<Nay, the SVX 3.3 is a non interference motor because the cams are permanently connected by a chain just behind the rear timing cover. >>

theres a chain there? i thought it was a gear.

Green1995SVX 07-26-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert (Post 611152)
<<Nay, the SVX 3.3 is a non interference motor because the cams are permanently connected by a chain just behind the rear timing cover. >>

Correct. It's a gear.

Manarius 07-26-2009 05:36 AM

If I may: http://www.canardzone.com/members/ph...ineCutaway.JPG

Cutaway picture showing the gears.

michael 07-26-2009 05:49 AM

Even though one is gear driven and the other belt, who's to say the distance apart is any different. If you eliminate the gears, add a pulley and a longer belt you have the same thing. I'm not saying it will fit but, it's an idea that shouldn't be thrown out till it's proven. The SVX front cover alone is $90 new and legacys are a dime a dozen in the scrap yards.

alia176 07-26-2009 07:46 AM

Yup, that's a good point; it may be worth to do an experiment between the two vehicles.

Luckily, the junk yard had all the bits so I pretty much scavenged the front of the donor SVX for a couple of hours yesterday.

SoCal LS-L 07-26-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert (Post 611152)

Of COURSE theres a gear, chain means gear in California :rolleyes: Have you heard our governor?

kwren 07-26-2009 03:25 PM

There is an excellent reason that subaru made the gear thing exactly like they did.

Keith:cool:

Trevor 07-26-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 611171)
Of COURSE theres a gear, chain means gear in California :rolleyes: Have you heard our governor?

Now lets not confuse the issue.:D A chain drive involves sprockets, not gears. Ask a cyclist and one in California if you are so inclined.;) Are yes there is a gear ratio, which gives rise to the term 24 gears, or whatever.:cool: Does the Governor guy, favour chain gangs? :eek:

SoCal LS-L 07-26-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 611212)
Now lets not confuse the issue.:D A chain drive involves sprockets, not gears. Ask a cyclist and one in California if you are so inclined.;) Are yes there is a gear ratio, which gives rise to the term 24 gears, or whatever.:cool: Does the Governor guy, favour chain gangs? :eek:

Aw jeeze it was a lame attempt at saying "oops" :D And you know who the governor of California is right?

Hint: He was looking for Sarah Connor, coined the term "Ill be back", played a gay freezy guy in Batman and Robin, and was even pregnant once.