The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Belt woes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37760)

dmnknightomega6 03-04-2007 09:27 PM

Belt woes

:D I drove

My Accesory Belt with the PS squaeled and broke( It happened a while)

Drove for 12 more miles to get home, quiet and no noticable noise. All temps were normal but the dash was seeing all lights

Turned the pulleys and did not notice resistance nor noise

Is it just the belt? Can it be replaced BY DIY? Point me please and how.
how much is a belt? mechanic fee?

Thanks to the network. I love ya guys. :D

DarknessofDeath 03-04-2007 09:51 PM

it's not hard to do. pretty much you need a 12mm socket and/or wrenches. you can DIY, it's quite simple. i personally dont know how tight it has to be, i know that there should be some flex when it is right but at the same time you dont it too tight because it will work the bearings harder. i'm sure somebody else would know how to determine the tightness of the belt adjustment
i've had my belts recently changed - last week actually - because of noise. belts will do that.

ensteele 03-05-2007 12:25 AM

It is not that hard to replace either one of the belts. Go to the How-To Documents to see how to do it. You can also go to this link to see the how to replace the alternator belt. To do the other belt, you need to loosen the AC compressor. Hope that helps some. Good luck. :) :)

STORMINORMAN 03-05-2007 10:25 AM

Take a long look at the crankshaft pully...

...because when these go it can toast all the belts, trash your front cover, even get into the timing belt area.

From experience.:eek:

Cheers!

dmnknightomega6 03-08-2007 12:05 PM

I replaced the belt but still am not sure If I have it too tight. I am getting a squeal when I turn....

How do I look or check the pulley?

Thanks guys.

benebob 03-08-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmnknightomega6
I replaced the belt but still am not sure If I have it too tight. I am getting a squeal when I turn....

How do I look or check the pulley?

Thanks guys.

A bad pulley will be somewhat noticable when turning. You'll see a slight wobble. Tighten a little more if you're squealing. Should be taught bought not overly tight when you press on the open belt area. It can squeal when too tight but usually it'll squeal when too loose.

dannmarr 03-08-2007 04:11 PM

Look at the belt while it's running. If it's flapping or slipping, tighten it. You should have a half inch play when you press on the belt between the pulleys (Do this when the engine is off!). Try using belt dressing/conditioner on the belts.

ensteele 03-08-2007 04:16 PM

Do you know for sure that it is the belt that is squealing? It could be something else, or another belt. :confused:

DarknessofDeath 03-08-2007 05:41 PM

i was told that belt dressing is not good to use. whether or not i believe that is a different question. but i dont find that it does too much

dannmarr 03-08-2007 08:47 PM

I use belt dressing on motor belts on commercial air handler units. This extends the life of the belt. It prevents it from drying out, constricting, protects from moisture and stressing on the pulleys.