The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to evaluate our 97 for total loss... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33605)

JeffN 06-09-2006 04:30 PM

How to evaluate our 97 for total loss...

Any clues on how to bump up the value of our totaled 97 lsi? My adjuster said add for recent work, tires battery, etc but I fear they're going to lowball us.:confused:

Rotorflyr 06-09-2006 10:20 PM

Of course there going to low ball you, That's What Insurance Companies Do!
I would go thru all your service records, and any reciepts you have for "upgrades" (stero, exhaust, etc....) then go and check out current ads for 96-97's with similar mileage and condition (including auctions like ebay) and see what they are selling for. Add it all up and you will get close to a fair figure (assuming you have full coverage), also remember, NEVER accept the first offer an insurance company makes.

JeffN 06-10-2006 08:14 AM

Thanks. As a retired chiropractor, I've seen all manner of phony bodily injuries as well as almost every type of actual physical injury-many that go unnoticed by the med crowd. I've also seenall types injustices promulgated by EVERY insurance carrrier(the biggest ones are the worst offenders-routinely breaking state laws for coverage). That's one reason we chose Liberty Mutual since 1988.

I have seen most carriers pay splendidly for the car loss but almost leave the insured for dead-they use any means they can not to pay medical bills and/or deny coverage. And this from an industry that MAKES NO PRODUCT-they only redistribute our $$(mainly to their own pockets-1998ish, CEO of Travelers pocketed a $400million bonus in the middle of the Hillarycare hmo debacle).

Electrophil 06-10-2006 08:21 AM

Getting an insurance company to honor new paint, or sound systems etc., proved a pipedream for me. It turned out just to be extra work for me rounding up receipts and faxing/mailing, and they completely blew me off. I got 4,200 for the '92 and was able to buy the car back for.... I think it was ?300??

I'd edit your last post if I were you.;) Nothing to it, but leverage is always a good thing.

JeffN 06-10-2006 08:44 AM

The adjuster told me to find receipts for battery, tires etc to boost the value.

Think the carriers look on this site? Worth an edit I guess-just pass the message along!

subi-crosser 06-11-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffN
Any clues on how to bump up the value of our totaled 97 lsi? My adjuster said add for recent work, tires battery, etc but I fear they're going to lowball us.:confused:

As a rule, (COURT EXPERIENCE), recent parts installed are considered 'maintenance' and carry no weight, due to the fact that the book value is based on a 'servicable car'. Where the difference comes in is with MODS! Custom paint, interior,exceptionally low miles.
My court case was me against State Farm, and I had an old Pontiac wagon. I had just put a new engine in it, and that allowed me to 'recover' high book,(but fell below the investment). The court did order them to allow me to keep the car, and pay the high book, so I guess I did win a small amount.
If you have an 'appraisel' before the ugly thing happens, you can win! Look in the yellow pages, FIND an Independent appraiser, not some insurance guy, and find out what your 'specimin' is actually worth. Give a copy of the appraisel to your insurance co,and put 'comp' coverage on it. Then your guy has a reason to fight for you, because if the other guy's insurance co won't pay, yours has to!!

Jerry

trieck1232 06-11-2006 12:56 PM

have a relative be your insurance agent! is that leagal tho?

JeffN 06-13-2006 09:38 AM

Ok, got a decent price for it-should I accept it? about $11,300 with tax less 500. deductible.

The adjuster was surprised that a 9 y.o. Sube was that valuable.

Electrophil 06-13-2006 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffN
Ok, got a decent price for it-should I accept it? about $11,300 with tax less 500. deductible.

The adjuster was surprised that a 9 y.o. Sube was that valuable.

WHAT??

Yeah... definately accept it and let us know what insurance company you are with.

Earthworm 06-13-2006 11:47 AM

Does that allow you to keep the car?

JeffN 06-13-2006 02:05 PM

Nope, they claim over 13k in damage and 11 hours in frame damage-FL only allows 4 hours max on frame repair before they scrap it-sure hope the recycler strips it well for parts.

Liberty Mutual-one of the least worst carriers.

And Phil, you do know it's a97 w/ 53k in excellent shape as they added on for that. The adjuster was surprised also-she thought a 10 y.o. sube was 3-4000. max.

Try and find another 97 under $11k asking price for me! I only see one for 11500, with 63k and the one with 27k on it for 15k large....

GreenMarine 06-13-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
WHAT??

Yeah... definately accept it and let us know what insurance company you are with.

I second this!! Take that!!! GEICO tried to offer me only $4,500 for my car... I told them to get screwed and damn near took them to cort over it... Eventually they offered me $6,800 plus the car... So I took that since I wasn't going any higher and really didn't want to go to court :rolleyes:

Earthworm 06-13-2006 02:33 PM

How much for you to keep the car? If you're looking for another 97 this would make an awesome parts car.

Electrophil 06-13-2006 05:25 PM

I would tried to fix that one. My front end looked a LOT worse, and it came out of it without a whimper. LOTS of labor and a crash course in welding though. Total out of pocket, about $1,200 including the purchase of a welding machine from Home Cheapo. Paint and door dings - $2,700. (But it needed that paint pretty badly anyway).

JeffN 06-13-2006 08:19 PM

They absolutely refuse to let me keep it-they say since it needs 11 hours frame time, it's not legal to salvage it, only scrap. I think it's bullsheet-maybe I should demand the car also.

Anyone familiar with salvage laws in FL? Can you keep a car if you're not in the dismantling business?