The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A new ATF fluid? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37987)

processengr 03-18-2007 07:37 AM

A new ATF fluid?

Hi All,
While at Pep Boys, I saw a Castrol Multivehicle ATF that calimed to be for Dex3 Mercon and Chylsler "type 3 and 4". About $4.00/qt. Next to it was a Castrol Dex3 and Mercon that didn't have any mention of Chrlsler trannys.
Then at Walmart, saw the Walmart brand ATF with same wording, for "transmissions previously servicable with Dex3 or MerconV and Chysler type 3 and 4" It did not say +3 or +4... about$3 qt.
I am thinking these grades will have higher temperature characteristics, as the +3 and +4 Chysler fluids were developed for temperature related trans. failures...
Comment anyone?

ensteele 03-18-2007 12:42 PM

That is interesting. If they are more heat tolerant, that would be great for our trannies. :)

joburnet 03-20-2007 06:14 PM

It is a synthitic fluid, I put it in my Jeep and it shifts easier now. As soon as I get a chance I am changing all the fluids in the SVX to synthitic. Should reduce wear, heat, and friction.

PaulCa13 03-22-2007 04:53 PM

Redline

I've had really good luck with Redline fluids of all kinds. I've used their motor oil, transmission fluid and differential oil in a couple of cars. I'm getting ready to do the tranny and diff in my new '92 LSL.

The manufacturer claims this stuff (for full-race applications) has the same base as that used for aircraft turbines!

On my last car, a Ford Taurus SHO, my oil consumption went from about a quart every 1,000 miles to less than a half-quart in 2,500.

You pay for it ... retail is about $8 a quart. But hey ... nothing's too good for our babies, right?

I buy mine at B&B auto in Redmond, WA. I know they have a Web site and stores in other states, too.

thegambler 03-29-2007 10:48 PM

Royal Purple

I'm sold on Royal Purple products, I use their Max ATF, 15w-40 oil and differential oil. Even my mechanic told me that he thinks very highly of Royal Purple products. 1992 SVX LS-L, 126,000 miles.

Hop 03-29-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr
Hi All,
While at Pep Boys, I saw a Castrol Multivehicle ATF that calimed to be for Dex3 Mercon and Chylsler "type 3 and 4". About $4.00/qt. Next to it was a Castrol Dex3 and Mercon that didn't have any mention of Chrlsler trannys.
Then at Walmart, saw the Walmart brand ATF with same wording, for "transmissions previously servicable with Dex3 or MerconV and Chysler type 3 and 4" It did not say +3 or +4... about$3 qt.
I am thinking these grades will have higher temperature characteristics, as the +3 and +4 Chysler fluids were developed for temperature related trans. failures...
Comment anyone?

I found this at the Castrol website:

In response to General Motors decision not to renew Dexron III licenses, Castrol has introduced a new product, Castrol Heavy Duty Multi–Purpose ATF. This new product meets the Allison Transmission new replacement automatic transmission specification, TES–389, which reintroduces previously licensed Dexron III products back into the market. This product replaces the Castrol MP Dexron III/Mercon.

Looks like it's pretty much the same stuff as dex3 with a new name.

Greg