The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Idea for a 40+ mpg SVX.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20457)

halistan 08-05-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Go disconnect three of your coils - hell, just one coil - and tell me how your engine runs. :p

Nick you can't just do that. I mean even if they aren't getting spark fuel is going to the cylinders. So then you have the same fuel going to 3 cylinders that aren't getting spark so the fuel is just flushed out. So you aren't saving a thing and you aren't getting energy from it either.

Now if you could shut of the injector along with the spark and have the valves open (it would only work on an non-interferance engine) so that you aren't generating any compression then I think it would work. Just my $.02.

~Ray

Chiketkd 08-05-2004 09:34 PM

I also fixed that problem by disconnecting my resistor. Since I leave my shifter in 'D' all the time, I get none of the jerkiness on decel. I love the firm, brisk shifts from this free mod! :)

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
i fixed that with the smallcar shift kit. ;)

Mr. Pockets 08-06-2004 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by halistan

Nick you can't just do that.

I know - that was my point. :p

Whoru465 08-06-2004 01:56 PM

a little tangent...

Chike, Do you find that the unplugged resistor gives *really* rough shifts at low speed? I didn't leave mine unplugged for long, maybe I didn't give the ECU enough time to get used to it...

Chiketkd 08-06-2004 02:26 PM

Re: a little tangent...

No rough shifts here. If I move the gear selector into '3' or '2' the shifts become very rough on decel - however, I always leave my selector in 'D' and haven't noticed any 'roughness' at low speeds...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by Whoru465
Chike, Do you find that the unplugged resistor gives *really* rough shifts at low speed? I didn't leave mine unplugged for long, maybe I didn't give the ECU enough time to get used to it...

NapaBavarian 08-06-2004 05:53 PM

With the final drive in the SVXs a little turbo diesel would be perfect, and with todays technology it would still be quick :) Remember to look at torque on a diesel, not HP...

svx_commuter 08-07-2004 05:47 PM

I just have to put my thoughts inthis thread.

WATER

:D

deruvian 08-13-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
I wonder what happens to the 3 cyclinders that are shut down during that period of time??? :confused:

-Chike

I remember reading (from multiple sources) that the spark is simply removed from every-other cylinder while the AT is shifting. So, instead of firing 1-6-3-2-5-4, it fires 1-x-3-x-5-x. Essentially, only the passenger-side cylinders are firing.

UberRoo 08-14-2004 01:23 PM

The problem with killing a few cylinders to save fuel is that reducing the effective displacement doesn't reduce the amount of energy required to move the car. For any given amount of work to be done, the amount of fuel required will be [almost] the same, regardless of how many cylinders you use.

Killing the spark alone will reduce economy considerably because you're still using fuel, but wasting it. Killing the fuel injectors may have a small effect, good or bad, but trivial either way. Disabling the intake and exhaust valves and killing the fuel injectors may have some useful effect at improving economy. If the valves allow air to travel in and out of the cylinders, this will effectively act like a Jake Brake, reducing economy. By closing the valves, the air inside those cylinders is simply compressed, (consuming energy like a spring,) and then decompressed, (releasing energy like a spring,) over and over again.

Smaller engines are usually more efficient because they operate near peak capacity more often, i.e., they are "in the zone" most of the time. Also, there are fewer moving parts. Ever try to crank an engine over by hand? It's a lot of work. Imagine how much work it takes to do that at 3000 RPM!

Yes, in theory you could realize a small fuel savings, but there is a reason manufacturers don't use these techniques on modern car engines; They don't work. ...at least well enough to be worth it.

Boxer6SVX 12-14-2005 04:44 PM

If you want gas mileage get a hybrid :rolleyes: The whole purpose of the cutting cylinders is to be less harsh on the trans during the 1-2 shift. Listen to it at a WOT 1-2 shift. Especially with my exhaust it sounds alot different than other shifts (2-3 3-4)...

Such an advanced ECU and yet the weakest link is still this transmission.

SVXer95 12-15-2005 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
If you want gas mileage get a hybrid :rolleyes: The whole purpose of the cutting cylinders is to be less harsh on the trans during the 1-2 shift. Listen to it at a WOT 1-2 shift. Especially with my exhaust it sounds alot different than other shifts (2-3 3-4)...

Such an advanced ECU and yet the weakest link is still this transmission.

You are the king of bumping really old threads. Congratulations.

SilverSpear 12-15-2005 02:33 AM

Guys in my car I have a system... I was wondering of. When I am cruising on the highway on D, I reach a point where I can feel the RPM's go down because of a shift in my tranny even though I am cruising on D. it's like Overdrive, or Super Overdrive :D something... :confused: I dunno if this is a special feature in my Gulf specs car or it is normal to do that. ??
it's like I reach a point where I am cruising at 100 km/h with an rpm of 1900 !
Consumption becomes verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry low. Am I using 3 cylinders out of 6 ?
I really need some documentary about the specs of the Gulfian SVX's

SVXer95 12-15-2005 02:46 AM

It feels like OD because it is OD.

SilverSpear 12-15-2005 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXer95
It feels like OD because it is OD.

Does the american spec OD goes 100 km/h (62mph) at 1900rpms?

Dengue 12-15-2005 05:40 AM

isn't there a limp home feature that does the same thing for an extended amount of time? It would seem easier to find that and put a switch to it than to isolate that moment in a shift.

Granted the odds of it actually helping are slim, but, I think the only way to find out for sure is for somebody other than myself to try it.

Skip