The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snow Tire (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41482)

CorSVXette 10-22-2007 02:29 PM

Snow Tire

I bought my car a few weeks ago and these were the tires trhat were on the car. So before the snow gets here I was wondering if anybody knows of these tires and if they will be good for the snow. Thanks.
WIDETRACK RADIAL H/R
235/45R17 93H
TREADWEAR 400
TRACTION A
TEMPERATURE A

porschekiller 10-22-2007 03:50 PM

snow and ice

the only tires that stop on ice without studs is the QR rated Bridgestone Blizzaks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 503127)
I bought my car a few weeks ago and these were the tires trhat were on the car. So before the snow gets here I was wondering if anybody knows of these tires and if they will be good for the snow. Thanks.
WIDETRACK RADIAL H/R
235/45R17 93H
TREADWEAR 400
TRACTION A
TEMPERATURE A

crazyhorse 10-22-2007 04:17 PM

AHHH I beg to differ with you Porschekiller...NO TIRE regardless of traction rating will stop efficiently on ice. Snow, yes, but ice , NO. I don't care if you have car-width tires with an A+++ traction rating....tag the binders on ice & watch your car's braking distances quadruple. Here in the smokies we have ice, more than snow, TRUST ME, no amount of snow tire will help on ice.

For all your ranting about tires, I'd have guessed this simple bit of info would be sceond nature to you.;)

SVX_MY_BABY 10-22-2007 05:12 PM

Don't know that tire, but rule of thumb is narrower & taller tires for snow. Wide low profiles will have more of a tendency to ride up on top of the snow and lose traction rather than cut through it. A 205 or 215/55/16 or similar would be a good choice.

Turbone 10-22-2007 06:24 PM

Also, if it does not have the M&S on the sidewall, its not a rated snow tire.

porschekiller 10-22-2007 06:28 PM

ice rink

i've seen the tests on an ice rink. 30 ft shorter than a regular snow tire. get with the times-multi-cell compound
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 503165)
AHHH I beg to differ with you Porschekiller...NO TIRE regardless of traction rating will stop efficiently on ice. Snow, yes, but ice , NO. I don't care if you have car-width tires with an A+++ traction rating....tag the binders on ice & watch your car's braking distances quadruple. Here in the smokies we have ice, more than snow, TRUST ME, no amount of snow tire will help on ice.

For all your ranting about tires, I'd have guessed this simple bit of info would be sceond nature to you.;)

porschekiller 10-22-2007 06:31 PM

i concur

but on a 17" wheel a 225 or 215/55-17 would be ideal because of the weight on the front.(think forester/outback)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 503184)
Don't know that tire, but rule of thumb is narrower & taller tires for snow. Wide low profiles will have more of a tendency to ride up on top of the snow and lose traction rather than cut through it. A 205 or 215/55/16 or similar would be a good choice.

CorSVXette 10-22-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

WIDETRACK RADIAL H/R
235/45R17 93H
TREADWEAR 400
TRACTION A
TEMPERATURE A

Thanks for all your ranting and raving about my post:) but you still havn't answered my question. I guess you never heard of this brand? Also I don't understang the meaning behind all those numbers and letters so I cannot figure out if it is a good tire or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbone (Post 503210)

I am guessing where my tire says "H/R' it should say "M&S"?

Crazy_pilot 10-22-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbone (Post 503210)

The M+S simply means that the tire can work in mud and snow. A true winter tire, as tested and certified, has the mountain and snowflake symbol:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tires...s/snowtire.gif

Crazy_pilot 10-22-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschekiller (Post 503214)
i've seen the tests on an ice rink. 30 ft shorter than a regular snow tire. get with the times-multi-cell compound

Ice rink? Simply saying it stopped 30 ft shorter is not a complete answer. 30 ft shorter at what speed? Vehicle weight? If a car takes 600 feet to stop on sheer ice from 100 KPH, 30 feet is only a 5% decrease. Nothing to write home about.

Hocrest 10-22-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 503231)
Thanks for all your ranting and raving about my post:) but you still havn't answered my question. I guess you never heard of this brand? Also I don't understang the meaning behind all those numbers and letters so I cannot figure out if it is a good tire or not.

Check out this page and the "Related Links"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

Crazy_pilot 10-22-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

WIDETRACK RADIAL H/R
235/45R17 93H
TREADWEAR 400
TRACTION A
TEMPERATURE A

Back to the original question...WideTrack Radial H/R means nothing to me. 235/45/17 means it a low profile tire, wider than the average car's, for a 17 inch rim. 93H means it has more than enough load rating for the SVX and is rated for 210 KPH. Treadwear 400 is good, but not exceptional. Traction and temperature A ratings put it in the mid-performance range.

Without seeing a picture of the tread I'd say it's an all-season tire geared more toward summer performance. Any vehicle will benefit from having a set of snow tires in temperatures below 7 degrees C (40-ish F). Below this temperature the rubber compound of all seasons stiffens. Summer tires are rock hard and useless.

Get a picture of the tread and I can give you my opinion of it's winter usefulness.

porschekiller 10-22-2007 08:15 PM

first of all widetrack isnt a brand and radial isnt a model, so until you can read a sidewall right then you'll reap what you sow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 503231)

I am guessing where my tire says "H/R' it should say "M&S"?

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschekiller (Post 503157)
the only tires that stop on ice without studs is the QR rated Bridgestone Blizzaks.

lol, be careful with "only"
there are plenty of other manufacturers who have figured out how to sipe a tire, and still none of them stop on ice better than studs and chains. Bridgestone makes a great tire, but I've seen testing video where they get out stopped and out-lasted.

immortal_suby 10-22-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschekiller (Post 503243)
first of all widetrack isnt a brand and radial isnt a model, so until you can read a sidewall right then you'll reap what you sow.

The tire is a firestone. Unfortunately it is old, I can't find a picture of the tread.

FIRESTONE RADIAL WIDETRACK H/R ALL A A 400