The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front Wiper Control Unit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34696)

dromano 08-11-2006 01:40 PM

Front Wiper Control Unit

Does anyone know of a link to instructions on how to locate and replace the FRONT WIPER CONTROL UNIT? I've looked under the dash (drivers side) can't ID the unit. Talk about stuffing sardines in the tin can.

In the SVX service manual the conector is B42, 17 pins. TIA:confused:

Beav 08-11-2006 07:40 PM

Don't have a pic of the unit available but here is where B42 is located, Cell B 1:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Beav/37484.gif

michael 08-11-2006 07:53 PM

Is that courtesy of ALLData?

dromano 07-28-2008 06:39 PM

Re: Front Wiper Control Unit

I'd like to take a 3rd try here, 2001, 2006, 2008. Has anyone changed the front wiper control unit? I haven't had front wipers for SIX years. I have a control unit to install, just need a "how to'. Several years ago I contortioned my way under there but could not find the unit. I know I have to remove the drivers seat if I go under there again. I almost couldn't get back out from under the dash last time, scary when you are 60+ and a bit over weight.
Come on folks, someone has changed this unit.

Before the front wipers completely died I could get by using the single cycle, it finally died.

I found a thread here years back about a SVX that had a short in the front wiper system due to a wire grounding at the point it passed thru the firewall.
A golden tech found the short after exhaustive process of elimination. Over the years I've thought this could be my problem, I'd like to change the control unit first to eliminate it being the problem.

When I was in Oregon this "no front wiper" was a big deal (he used mucho Rainx), here in the desert it's no big deal, I get caught driving in the rain here about once every 2 years, with the slope of the windshield once I reach 50 mph the rain blows off and visibility is good. Still, I want front wipers:mad::mad::mad:

Manarius 07-28-2008 07:08 PM

I thought the control of the wipers was contained on the stalk itself, not some unit.

dromano 07-28-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 558053)
I thought the control of the wipers was contained on the stalk itself, not some unit.

Well, you thought wrong!! The front wipers have a "control unit", it is 2 3/4"X3 1/2". Now you know more than you knew before. Why bother posting if you have no clue?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

subarufamily 07-28-2008 08:18 PM

because inquiring minds want to know, and the more input you get the easier it is to help out.

dromano 07-28-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarufamily (Post 558062)
because inquiring minds want to know, and the more input you get the easier it is to help out.

My bad, sorry.

OK, help out. Where the f is the front wiper control unit? I know it's under the dash on the left of the steering column......so a clue would be nice.

Again, has anyone changed the front wiper control unit????????????????:(

TomsSVX 07-28-2008 08:36 PM

I have had to change one.... It is a SERIOUS PITA. It is under the dash but off to the outer side of the steering column... Close to the outer edge but still under the dash... It will help the take the escaine panel off and the metal shield under it... Still it is incredibly hard to access but not impossible. Hardest part will be remounting it.:)

Tom

dromano 07-28-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558064)
I have had to change one.... It is a SERIOUS PITA. It is under the dash but off to the outer side of the steering column... Close to the outer edge but still under the dash... It will help the take the escaine panel off and the metal shield under it... Still it is incredibly hard to access but not impossible. Hardest part will be remounting it.:)

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Did you remove the drivers seat? "Not impossible" is what I was looking for. I am guessing that with the driver seat removed the whole deal becomes more doable. For me the difficulty was viewing the area without passing out due to the contorted position arrived at to view the under dash area.

Anyone in my area who is young and eager, contact me, let's make a deal:D:D

TomsSVX 07-28-2008 09:05 PM

Taking the seat out may help... with arms as long as mine its hard to move around easily but I was able to get it out without taking the seat out. Just try and remove all tangible objects to get to it... Getting it out is relatively easy... putting it back in and bolting it down is not

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558066)
Thanks Tom,

Did you remove the drivers seat? "Not impossible" is what I was looking for. I am guessing that with the driver seat removed the whole deal becomes more doable. For me the difficulty was viewing the area without passing out due to the contorted position arrived at to view the under dash area.

Anyone in my area who is young and eager, contact me, let's make a deal:D:D

kwren 07-28-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558061)
Well, you thought wrong!! The front wipers have a "control unit", it is 2 3/4"X3 1/2". Now you know more than you knew before. Why bother posting if you have no clue?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seems a little harsh, man!

Sometimes people don't have anything going on right then and just want to be a part of the conversation!

Now, say you are sorry...

Keith:(

kwren 07-28-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558063)
My bad, sorry.

OK, help out. Where the f is the front wiper control unit? I know it's under the dash on the left of the steering column......so a clue would be nice.

Again, has anyone changed the front wiper control unit????????????????:(

Now me Bad... sorry didn't see your post!

keith:o

dromano 07-28-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 558069)
Taking the seat out may help... with arms as long as mine its hard to move around easily but I was able to get it out without taking the seat out. Just try and remove all tangible objects to get to it... Getting it out is relatively easy... putting it back in and bolting it down is not

Tom

Thank you Tom, I understand the challenge, just hope I can ID the unit. Is there any thing I need to be careful in removing the driver seat?

Dave

TomsSVX 07-28-2008 09:38 PM

Yea, don't disconnect the seat wiring until after all 5 bolts are out... Otherwise its a snap

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 558072)
Thank you Tom, I understand the challenge, just hope I can ID the unit. Is there any thing I need to be careful in removing the driver seat?

Dave