The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   hello boys & girls (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22095)

DearPrudence 10-19-2004 11:35 PM

hello boys & girls

I'm still sorta kinda around. The MA5T3R is still just sitting in my driveway, taunting me with his undriveability.

But GET THIS... Last week I decided to take him for a quick cruise around the block (which is about as far as he can go without overheating). Normally, I'll just dump coolant in the radiator before I go, but this time I dumped it in the overflow reservoir. I heard this loud splashing and thought WTF? So I peeked in that general direction and was perplexed to find coolant just POURING out of the bottom of the reservoir! Evidently, from what I could see, there is SUPPOSED to be a hose of some sort connecting the radiator to the overflow reservoir. For some reason, my SVX no longer has one. Now, I'm no mechanic, but dontcha think something like that may result in rapid overheating? Hmm.... I called my mechanic and left him a message, he has not returned my call.

If I wasn't such a lazy butt, I could probably get my SVX fixed in about 5 minutes. But I'm a lazy butt, so in the driveway he sits.

How are all youse folks doin?

Alycone 10-20-2004 12:14 AM

Welcome back, I was wondering if you were still around. Glad to hear you still have SVX. Interesting thing about the missing hose there. :)

DearPrudence 10-20-2004 12:20 AM

Indeed. It's been about 3 months since I've been able to drive that car, because I thought the engine was messed up. To think it may be something as simple as a stupid hose... frankly, that chaps my hide. I know the hose was there BEFORE. So yeah, I'm back :D

NapaBavarian 10-20-2004 12:22 AM

Hey DP, I guess ya didn't abandon us after all.:rolleyes: :p

DearPrudence 10-20-2004 12:29 AM

Only temporarily, NB ;)

gsodonis 10-20-2004 05:03 AM

Missing collant reservoir hose

The purpose of the coolant reservoir is to keep air out of the radiator. When the coolant heats up, it expands. The radiator cap allows that colant to collect in the reservoir. As the coolant cools, it contracts and the radiator pulls a vacuum and draws coolant back from the reservoir.

If the reservoir is empty (your case), the radiator draws air into the system as it cools. Driving around with air in cooling system can cause hot spots and overheating as you describe. Prolonged driving in this mode can cause to cylinder head gasket failure in some cars; it really depends on the overall cooling system design.

Start with replacing the hose, fill the reservoir and refill the radiator and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Earthworm 10-20-2004 03:05 PM

Is the hose missing completely or just unplugged?

ie. is there a small hose plugged in to the top of the radiator?

DearPrudence 10-20-2004 04:39 PM

Re: Missing collant reservoir hose

Quote:

Originally posted by gsodonis
The purpose of the coolant reservoir is to keep air out of the radiator. When the coolant heats up, it expands. The radiator cap allows that colant to collect in the reservoir. As the coolant cools, it contracts and the radiator pulls a vacuum and draws coolant back from the reservoir.

If the reservoir is empty (your case), the radiator draws air into the system as it cools. Driving around with air in cooling system can cause hot spots and overheating as you describe. Prolonged driving in this mode can cause to cylinder head gasket failure in some cars; it really depends on the overall cooling system design.

Start with replacing the hose, fill the reservoir and refill the radiator and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Thanks for the info! That was very helpful, because I really don't understand how the cooling system works and it seems to be my SVXs main problem (so far, that is). I'll have the shop try that and hopefully I can start driving my baby again.

DearPrudence 10-20-2004 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Is the hose missing completely or just unplugged?

ie. is there a small hose plugged in to the top of the radiator?

Hmm, not sure about that. I just noticed that it's missing from the coolant reservoir.

Subafreak 10-20-2004 08:04 PM

:) Yay:)

It's a possibility, I hope it works for you. I would hate to see you get to attached to the Mitsu*****y.

DearPrudence 10-20-2004 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
:) Yay:)

It's a possibility, I hope it works for you. I would hate to see you get to attached to the Mitsu*****y.

ME TOO!!!! I don't wanna get too attached to the mitsu, either. I actually have to PAY for the mitsu. Blecch.

SSSVX 10-21-2004 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DearPrudence
Indeed. It's been about 3 months since I've been able to drive that car, because I thought the engine was messed up. To think it may be something as simple as a stupid hose... frankly, that chaps my hide. I know the hose was there BEFORE. So yeah, I'm back :D
If this is the problem after all, I will be happy for ya.:D

mohrds 10-21-2004 09:52 AM

I'll share a tip I discovered after swapping out engines. The cooling system on the SVX has the flow at a slight rearward angle. If you jack up the front end so the front wheels are off the ground, it shifts to a slight forward angle. You can then idle the car with the filler cap off and fill the radiator as the air comes out. It only takes about 10 minutes for the system to work out all the air as if it is nose high.

Good luck and glad to see you around again.

Doug