The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Anyone own a Baja? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48471)

Royal Tiger 01-03-2009 03:31 AM

Anyone own a Baja?

We got into a discussion last night about the Baja so I was curious if anyone owned one, or used to. Thoughts? Reviews? Thanks.

svxxx26 01-03-2009 08:20 AM

Re: Anyone own a Baja?

I own a 2005 Baja turbo. Currently has 61,000 on it (bought it used a couple years ago).
Personally I love it. I think the biggest downside is the lack of secure, weather-proof space. But - that being said, it's great to have an open bed to haul bikes and "stuff" that you wouldn't want to be hauling inside your car.
It has plenty of ground clearance, even more than an Outback. Plenty of power too, and the sportshift is fun.
A pretty unique vehicle :)

Landshark 01-03-2009 08:31 AM

i saw an all-blue Baja for sale in the local auto ads. never saw one in that color before.

for the love of all things holy, don't get a two-tone one.

svxxx26 01-03-2009 01:11 PM

The 2005 and 2006 models were all one color - no more two-tone with silver cladding on the bottom. Mine is regal blue.
The Baja amps up the tradition of love it or hate it styling. When they came out, I didn't care for the two-tone styling either. Now it's grown on me, and I kind of like the original in-your-face yellow/silver ones. Go figure :lol:

subarufamily 01-03-2009 02:37 PM

own 2 baja's one is being rebuilt, accident from PO the other is my wifes DD and she wont trade/sell/get rid of it for anything hence the second one. first one is a 2003, second one is a 2006 . o3 is a split /two tone red/silver second one is silver only and now has ALL the add ons one can get for the baja, bat heater , block heater, 6 disk changer, diff protecter, cargo net behind pass thru, and last but not least locking hard bed cover came on turbo in 05 & 06.

subeman90 01-03-2009 07:02 PM

I have one...silver with 38k and a 5 speed non turbo. It is great. Hauls trees and bikes good and I have an aftermarket locking cover from www.ozzbros.com that was about $500 or so but it is all around a great machine.

I have done some stuff to mine that makes mine more unique: on board air compressor, 12v bed outlet, heated mirrors, black face radio and heating controls, trailer hitch (which I do use), power driver seat (didn't have it from factory), tint, and the bed cover.

Best of all....it is finally paid for :D

ssnsltd 01-03-2009 10:25 PM

were there some issues with the early ones? consumer reports was not to kind to the Baja

svxxx26 01-04-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarufamily (Post 580362)
own 2 baja's one is being rebuilt, accident from PO the other is my wifes DD and she wont trade/sell/get rid of it for anything hence the second one. first one is a 2003, second one is a 2006 . o3 is a split /two tone red/silver second one is silver only and now has ALL the add ons one can get for the baja, bat heater , block heater, 6 disk changer, diff protecter, cargo net behind pass thru, and last but not least locking hard bed cover came on turbo in 05 & 06.

Would love to have a locking bed cover, or a locking topper. I have to disagree with you a little - the bed cover may have been an option in 2005 but didn't automatically come with it. At least mine didn't :rolleyes: Maybe it came with the premium edition that had leather?
Anyway yours sounds like a nice one. I'm with your wife, I don't think I'll be selling this one for anything.

svxxx26 01-04-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 580396)
I have one...silver with 38k and a 5 speed non turbo. It is great. Hauls trees and bikes good and I have an aftermarket locking cover from www.ozzbros.com that was about $500 or so but it is all around a great machine.

I have done some stuff to mine that makes mine more unique: on board air compressor, 12v bed outlet, heated mirrors, black face radio and heating controls, trailer hitch (which I do use), power driver seat (didn't have it from factory), tint, and the bed cover.

Best of all....it is finally paid for :D

Wow - great options. Curious as to what type of loads you have pulled with your hitch. I've been thinking about that but have wondered if it would be worth the trouble.

subeman90 01-04-2009 12:41 PM

not sure of the weight but it felt like about 1800 to me. The trailer was aluminum but had a heavy gate on it and it was atleast 10 foot long. I had a tree and a half on it. I forgot to take a pic but it did well. Brakes on the trailer would have been nice. It didn't kill the gas mileage too bad either. She is strong like ox!

Royal Tiger 01-05-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 580336)
i saw an all-blue Baja for sale in the local auto ads. never saw one in that color before.

for the love of all things holy, don't get a two-tone one.

How did I know you wouldn't like the two tone? :)

The yellow and silver was my favorite until I saw an all black turbo. How's the turbo with an automatic?

Landshark 01-05-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Tiger (Post 580737)
How did I know you wouldn't like the two tone? :)

The yellow and silver was my favorite until I saw an all black turbo. How's the turbo with an automatic?

if its a 4EAT (which it is) it sucks. wife's WRX, and now FXT have a 4EAT, and its amazing how much they suck compared to the 5EAT.

Royal Tiger 01-06-2009 07:12 AM

Did only the Legacy GT come with the 5EAT? No Baja's?

Hocrest 01-06-2009 07:43 AM

My sister has an all blue one, she loves it.

Me and Melis once saw a pearly white one, it was beautiful. I think they were only available one year???

Landshark 01-06-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Tiger (Post 580793)
Did only the Legacy GT come with the 5EAT? No Baja's?

i just checked and even the 2009 Foresters still come with a 4EAT (although they have Sportshift now). :rolleyes:

i don't know why they don't use the 5EAT more. :confused: