The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   can you help with my bucking ? ? ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10587)

96 SVX owner 05-07-2003 12:48 PM

can you help with my bucking ? ? ?

In warm / hot weather when I am doing slow turns I get a noise .....and the SVX bucks ....and.... clicks during the bucking as I am turning.
Is this AWD transmission ? ......differential ?? What should I do ?
---aside from trying not to turn ! ! ha ha
(I wish it was only my imagination)

Seraph 05-07-2003 12:50 PM

seems like diff but could be a ton of other things as well.

L

Earthworm 05-07-2003 12:50 PM

Is it binding as if the tranny was forcing 50/50 distribution or does it feel more like something in the steering system?

alacrity024 05-07-2003 01:15 PM

it could be something as simple as a cv axle..

-adam

benebob 05-07-2003 01:42 PM

bucking

Does the power light (96's still had them right?) show that it has a trouble code in it? It'll blink like 15 times when you start the car rather than just coming on for a few seconds.

mohrds 05-07-2003 02:03 PM

Re: can you help with my bucking ? ? ?

Quote:

Originally posted by 96 SVX owner
In warm / hot weather when I am doing slow turns I get a noise .....and the SVX bucks ....and.... clicks during the bucking as I am turning.
Is this AWD transmission ? ......differential ?? What should I do ?
---aside from trying not to turn ! ! ha ha
(I wish it was only my imagination)

Sounds like the AWD is engaging when it shouldn't be. Could be a duty solenoid "C" going bad. I rectified mine by replacing the campaign filter and bypassing the stock cooler with an aftermarket one.

A 96 probably won't have either a campaign filter or a clogged stock cooler, so your Duty Solenoid "C" is probably failing. Most times it won't throw a code. Only the wrongful engagement of the AWD.

Doug

96 SVX owner 05-07-2003 02:22 PM

Hey ...I like this site -- after my 1st posting - i got all the info ..thx

:)

oab_au 05-07-2003 06:00 PM

Stick the FWD fuse in the fuse box to disconnect the AWD system. If the trouble goes away it is the C solenoid, If it does not, it's some thing else.

Harvey.;)

SVXPILOT 05-07-2003 06:21 PM

Have you changed the fluid. Mine started to bind when turning at parking lot speeds shortly after I bought it. changing the fluid stopped the binding. I now change the fluid every 10'000 miles. the clicking could be a bad cv joint.

vkykam 05-07-2003 07:13 PM

Just a minor aside...

If the FWD fuse is in, but the FWD light does not light up on the dash, it's probably the Duty Solenoid C as well. But in this scenario, the TCU should have registered the problem, and you should see a blinky Power light.

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au
Stick the FWD fuse in the fuse box to disconnect the AWD system. If the trouble goes away it is the C solenoid, If it does not, it's some thing else.

Harvey.;)

oab_au 05-08-2003 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vkykam
Just a minor aside...

If the FWD fuse is in, but the FWD light does not light up on the dash, it's probably the Duty Solenoid C as well. But in this scenario, the TCU should have registered the problem, and you should see a blinky Power light.

VK

Yes it depends on if the solenoid has failed electrically or mechanically.

If it failed electrically the TCU will post a code. I have opened up a mechanically failed C solenoid and found that the return spring that returns the armature has broken up, jamming the armature from opening fully, thus applying pressure to the clutch.

Harvey.;)