The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   new owner of a 96 SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4391)

BG-96SVX 06-03-2002 10:10 PM

new owner of a 96 SVX

I recently bought an SVX from the local Subaru dealer. The windows caught my attention as I was driving by, and when I stopped to look I fell in love instantly. This is the first car that I have actually owned...I leased previously. I don't know a whole lot about the 96 or any SVX in general, and I was wondering is there anything I should worry about? The car has 58 k miles on it and I think only had one previous owner. Any advice would be great, and I'm glad there is somewhere I can talk to people about what a great and rare find the SVX is.

Seraph 06-03-2002 11:24 PM

Re: new owner of a 96 SVX

Quote:

Originally posted by BG-96SVX
I recently bought an SVX from the local Subaru dealer. The windows caught my attention as I was driving by, and when I stopped to look I fell in love instantly. This is the first car that I have actually owned...I leased previously. I don't know a whole lot about the 96 or any SVX in general, and I was wondering is there anything I should worry about? The car has 58 k miles on it and I think only had one previous owner. Any advice would be great, and I'm glad there is somewhere I can talk to people about what a great and rare find the SVX is.
Welcome to the network. You might want to call 1 800-SUBARU-3 and tell them you are the new owner and ask them if anything major or any recalls have been done on your car (and you want to talk to the person -- Don't leave a message).

Apart from regular tranny and bearing issues, the car will run great. And the tranny and bearing depends on the car. I just saw a 92 with 97k miles on it and my 92 with 147k miles on it both have original trannies. All depends on the car and who and how they drive the car.

Good luck and enjoy your car.

Lwin

Motorsport-SVX 06-03-2002 11:30 PM

Quote:

May want to get use to some extra attention youll be getting while driving it :)
Also, get use to how quiet, smooth and fun the car is to drive!
If you want to add some insurance to your tranny, you may want to add a nice external tranny cooler. Might be the best way to kill $100-150 on your new car :)

wasions 06-04-2002 12:01 AM

Quote:

I recently bought an SVX from the local Subaru dealer. The windows caught my attention as I was driving by, and when I stopped to look I fell in love instantly. Gee, have I ever heard that before? This is the first car that I have actually owned...I leased previously. I don't know a whole lot about the 96 or any SVX in general, and I was wondering is there anything I should worry about? Dude! Don't worry about it. You got the best year made, and it's barely broken in. The car has 58 k miles on it and I think only had one previous owner. Any advice would be great, and I'm glad there is somewhere I can talk to people about what a great and rare find the SVX is.
:cool:

Seraph 06-04-2002 01:10 AM

96 is the last year they were made. Well, 97s are all left over 96s. As far as I know, SOA and FHI fixed the tranny issue by 94s so that should not be a problem. Also, if you have a 92 with the tranny recall done, i don't think it should be a problem either. Just don't race the car from a stop.

Lwin

svx_commuter 06-04-2002 05:03 AM

Quote:

I fell in love instantly.
So many of us have done that:)

Welcome to the club:cool:

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
Just don't race the car from a stop.
Do you mean DRAG RACING is not good for the tranny? Is that based on experience?

Bwana 06-04-2002 06:32 AM

Re: Re: new owner of a 96 SVX

Quote:

I just saw a 92 with 97k miles on it and my 92 with 147k miles on it both have original trannies.

Lwin

Lwin, how many tranny's did your 94 have? I think that cancels out any good luck you have with your 92. :D :p

BG-96SVX 06-04-2002 08:15 AM

tranny

So...if the problem is supposed to be fixed, should I still worry about getting a cooler?

Aredubjay 06-04-2002 09:16 AM

Re: tranny

Quote:

So...if the problem is supposed to be fixed, should I still worry about getting a cooler?
If it were me, I'd still get the cooler. Just for peace of mind. The tranny still gets warm pulling a nearly 4,000 pound vehicle with the torquey engine. It may not be "necessary" but, I'd consider it "prudent."

Welcome to the Network, by the way. Considering how "close" other SVXers are to me, we're practically neighbors.

LarryIII 06-04-2002 10:33 AM

Quote:

96 is the last year they were made. Well, 97s are all left over 96s.
Lwin

Lwin,

Where did you get this tidbit?
I never heard that before.

Larry III
97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi named SUBYDOO.

Boone 06-04-2002 10:59 AM

Hmm... so they just swapped center grilles and tires and drove 'em out the door? :p What's the date on you doorjamb, Larry?

joeaux 06-04-2002 10:59 AM

Good job! You have taste. I've got a Brilliant Red '96 LSi that I bought new. Still a wonderful car. I baby it like my kid. Anyway, as far as I know the tranny problem can occur on any SVX of any year. It just happens more often on the older ones. Subaru and FHI did quite a few mods to the tranny, wheel bearings and a few other things over the years that minimize the problems, but people still get tranny and wheel bearing failures on the new cars. Also keep in mind there are fewer of the newer ones so statistically there are gonna be fewer problems. As far as '97s being "left over" '96s. I don't think they're any more left over than other years. Who cares anyway. The cars are pretty much the same (except for the front solid color bezel, which I don't like anyway, and a few minor things). Enjoy the car. If you want to know more about the history and such (and boy do these cars have some history), just ask. Between me and other here we've got all the pubs that ever existed on this wonderful automobile.
-joe-

Aredubjay 06-04-2002 11:55 AM

JOE! Good to hear from you. Hadn't "seen" you around for a while. I often wonder where you disappear to for long periods, then, I just imagine you're wandering aimlessly through the aisles of the 7- Eleven, trying to find your way out, and, when you do, you come visit. :D

svxy 06-07-2002 12:22 PM

96 dvx

I also have a red 96. It has 60,000 miles and I just finished putting a B&M trans cooler on it with a perma cooler filter kit, it was pretty easy and the peace of mind was worth the $150.00. The only suggestion with the cooler is it was easier to unbolt the two radiators and place the tranny cooler in front of them. just curious...what does a dealer ask for a 96 svx these days?

BG-96SVX 06-07-2002 04:25 PM

Re: 96 dvx

Quote:

Originally posted by svxy
just curious...what does a dealer ask for a 96 svx these days?
The sticker was $13,500, I think. I found it on AutoTrader listed for $12,995, so he gave me that price. They replaced the rear brakes and rotors before I bought it. I just took it in because the engine light was on. I have to replace the 02 sensor, but because I got it a week ago, everything is still covered under the dealer's warranty.