The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Body work need some advice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22411)

TomsSVX 11-03-2004 02:02 PM

Body work need some advice

Now i am no novice to bondo and such, but this perplexes me. I bought an ebony 94lsi recently that needed some body work. I can do most of it w/ no problem. the one spot that worries me is the rear pass quarter panel. this includes the wheel well gas tank lid and wraps around to the back. I will post pics of the spot this weekend. Would it be a better idea to try and located a new quarter and install or is this an impossible task? i have yet to look deeply into what hold this together but i i will this weekend. So what i need to know is

Does the quarter panel come off?

Would it be a pretty simple job or require cutting and welding?

Should I try to cut away damaged areas and try to reshape it?

Any input is appreciated

Tim 11-03-2004 02:12 PM

The rear quarter panel is part of the unibody.

TomsSVX 11-03-2004 02:46 PM

i was hoping u wouldn't say that. well pics are in my locker. i will see what i can do

Earthworm 11-03-2004 03:33 PM

It can be replaced but it's not going to be an easy task.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...hworm/2113.jpg

TomsSVX 11-03-2004 07:33 PM

well that is going to be out of my expertice. I will try my hardest to fix it w/out tearing it apart too much. I was thinking more of a fiberglass repair than anything else, does this sound about right for anyone who has looked at the pic?

svxpert 11-03-2004 08:14 PM

the part number for the pass side quarter panel is: 51410PA080
still available. you talking around $399 from a dealer

TomsSVX 11-03-2004 08:37 PM

or 300 buz from subaruparts.com

thnx for ur help guys

Bxsvx 11-05-2004 09:26 PM

That doesnt look bad at all. My friend hit a pole at the DMV parking lot and his door was smashed in and the sheetmetal was wrinkled I think. He paid 500 dollars and the car looks like nothing touched it at all. If you go to the right guy they can do the same for u. Goodluck

SilverSpear 11-08-2004 03:54 AM

Re: Body work need some advice

Quote:

Originally posted by tomssvx
Now i am no novice to bondo and such, but this perplexes me. I bought an ebony 94lsi recently that needed some body work. I can do most of it w/ no problem. the one spot that worries me is the rear pass quarter panel. this includes the wheel well gas tank lid and wraps around to the back. I will post pics of the spot this weekend. Would it be a better idea to try and located a new quarter and install or is this an impossible task? i have yet to look deeply into what hold this together but i i will this weekend. So what i need to know is

Does the quarter panel come off?

Would it be a pretty simple job or require cutting and welding?

Should I try to cut away damaged areas and try to reshape it?

Any input is appreciated

can i make a bit of advice???
now that you are doing some body work on your car, why don't you widen the rear fenders a little bit to the outside so that they can englobe the 8.5 wheels instead of 7.5. I did it on my SVX while bodywork was in process. they do not look very much deviated from stock, the difference is negligeable, but you can install 8.5 wheels and getting superb stability and grips on roads.

svxsubaru1 11-08-2004 11:15 AM

Widening the fenders seems like it would be a pretty hard job to take on and to do it right. Besides the SVX can already fit like 265mm tires in the back do you need any wider, and then, unless its FWD your spose to have the same diameter tire at the front also and the front i think is the limiting factor in tire width at 255mm, or less.

TomsSVX 11-08-2004 12:16 PM

silverspear, i am not looking to modify this car. I want it to look stock, i am a huge fan of sleepers and a visual modded car is not one of my favorite things, no offense to u at all, its just not for me. thnx for the idea though, it did pass thru my mind

Earthworm 11-08-2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

i am a huge fan of sleepers and a visual modded car is not one of my favorite things
Me too. I try to keep my car looking as stock as possible. I have to point out what has changed on my car because most people that see it don't know.

SilverSpear 11-09-2004 01:36 AM

Quote:

silverspear, i am not looking to modify this car. I want it to look stock, i am a huge fan of sleepers and a visual modded car is not one of my favorite things, no offense to u at all, its just not for me. thnx for the idea though, it did pass thru my mind
no offense taken buddy, but as you can see comparing the SVX to new cars you will realize that the stock look is getting older... refresh your car by modifying it !!! it needs it. if you open the hood and listen to it for a while, you will hear it is crying for some make up!!! :D

TomsSVX 11-09-2004 01:47 PM

that cry is for faster time slips, i can translate the boxer language.

huck369 11-09-2004 04:56 PM

Tom,
I'd have a pro look at it and give you a quote on fixing that spot...might be cheaper than you think...