The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Antenna signal is bad (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59886)

dannmarr 05-22-2012 06:32 AM

Antenna signal is bad

Is there anything to boost the signal for my radio reception? The antenna works but I get lousy reception! I lose lots of channels will driving around.

kjoyes 05-22-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Antenna signal is bad

do you have a aftermarket radio or factory?

kwren 05-22-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 704832)
Is there anything to boost the signal for my radio reception? The antenna works but I get lousy reception! I lose lots of channels will driving around.

Is this something that happened suddenly or a gradual worsening condition?

Keith:cool:

dannmarr 05-22-2012 02:14 PM

I have a Panasonic stereo. I get about 4 clear channels. I thought it was normal all these years being that I live in the Poconos. It wasn't until I started using other vehicles to go to work, that I was able to get better reception. The antenna is factory and it does go up but the signal drops alot and with much static on the dead channels. I know the previous owner did swap out the antenna once before. Maybe a bad connection?

1986nate 05-22-2012 02:25 PM

It's possible the aftermarket stereo is hooked up to the defroster antenna and not to the mast antenna.

SVXdc 10-17-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 704868)
It's possible the aftermarket stereo is hooked up to the defroster antenna and not to the mast antenna.

That, or you may need to clean the motorized antenna's mast. See this post.

Huskymaniac 10-17-2012 05:38 AM

What are the specifications of your receiver? The oem panasonic is horrendously bad. I just shopped around for reasonably priced stereos and Pioneer's supertuner 3D is the best. Alpine and some Kenwood/JVC recievers are almost as good. But you have to be careful and check the specs because, model to model, the reception can vary wildly.

Huskymaniac 10-17-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc (Post 713928)
That, or you may need to clean the motorized antenna's mast. See this post.

Dave,

How do you get that clip closest to the dash, on the piece on the side of the hump, back in? It is a bear!

dannmarr 06-11-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 704868)

Your words came into my mind as I pulled out the radio. I noticed another antenna wire (unpluged). The original SVX radio has two antenna wires, while my after market radio only uses 1 antenna wire.

dannmarr 06-11-2013 08:26 PM

I'm going to reinstall the original SVX radio with the 2 antenna wires. Maybe this will help my bad reception.

kjoyes 06-11-2013 11:24 PM

also, here is what solved my problem Check the 18 inch extenstion cable if you have a aftermarket radio my was bad, one of the end was came seperated from the end of the cable. from pulling on it too hard when installing, i had absolutely no reception. In other words check the cables First!