The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   just recieved my new svx and its not looking good, (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57847)

solarsvx 07-15-2011 11:14 AM

just recieved my new svx and its not looking good,

well guys this morning i receved my 1994 subaru svx lsl in red with 100k on it,

the car has turned out to be mechanical and physicaly a nightmare and needs work =<

the car was purchased from S&M auto in chicago,

mechanicaly

the power steering rack is leaking
the valve covers are leaking
the rear diff is leaking
the exhaust is cracked and leaking
power window switch is toast,
a/c is not working

rough estimate is 1,500 just for the mechanical end,

around 3,000 in repairs for a car to make it physicaly and mechanicly sound,

im verry dissapointed =< i paid 4,000 for the car plus another 1,000 for the delivery, taxes and titel work so 5,000 into the car,

do i off load the car now ? and take my losses do i trade the car in ? do i spend the money for the repairs, ?

the dealership is denying the hail damage of course and said it drove fine, they are reimbursing me 400.00 which is all the money they made off the car,

does any one have a low milage steering rack around or can send me some links to a reman or new ones ?

also looking for a power window switch and glove compartment latch,

sorry for the venting guys but this svx bit me in the ass !!

icingdeath88 07-15-2011 11:52 AM

Re: just recieved my new svx and its not looking good,

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsvx (Post 681926)
mechanicaly

the power steering rack is leaking <Got one but it's a nearly new OEM one (cost ~$600 I think)
the valve covers are leaking <Have an unopened set of these
the rear diff is leaking <Got 2 extras
the exhaust is cracked and leaking<Got the resonator pipe and muffler, but no Y section
power window switch is toast, <Will have one soon
a/c is not working <Got an extra A/C compressor somewhere

does any one have a low milage steering rack around or can send me some links to a reman or new ones ?

also looking for a power window switch and glove compartment latch<I'm sure I have 2 of these, and a key to one of them.

I remember finding a reman steering rack online somewhere for a lot cheaper than new. Google a bit and see what you find.

svxcess 07-15-2011 11:53 AM

I would not keep it.

Using your own figures, you would have over $8,000 in it just to correct what you see now. Probably would go higher.

How is the timing belt? What is the condition of the transmission? Original? A/C just low on freon or a seized compressor? Any maintenance records? A car that neglected probably has other hidden issues.

Used parts are available. Can you do the work yourself? a lot of shops will not install used parts and will not guarantee them.

I would feel a lot differently if you had spent $2500 for the car (a member here bought a 1997 with tranny issues, but paid only $800 for it)

All it would take is one small accident and your insurance company would probably total it and you would lose.

You said the car is a red 1992 LS-L. Has it been repainted? it will never reach the standards of your pearlie but you may be okay with that.

just my opinion...

solarsvx 07-15-2011 12:20 PM

svxcess

its a 1994 model red on red

there is no paper work with the car what so ever just one heavily used remote and key,

i cant tell if the timing belt has been done but at my best guess it has not,

tranimssion seems to be ok engine idle ok,

i cont do the work my self i dont have the tool or patience any more, whene i was alot younger and broker i would do all the work my self because i had no choice,

i will see if i can get the ac going tonight if its something simple i know its the blower motor for sure, maybe just a fuse? or bad wiring?

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 681931)

I would not keep it.

Using your own figures, you would have over $8,000 in it just to correct what you see now. Probably would go higher.

How is the timing belt? What is the condition of the transmission? Original? A/C just low on freon or a seized compressor? Any maintenance records? A car that neglected probably has other hidden issues.

Used parts are available. Can you do the work yourself? a lot of shops will not install used parts and will not guarantee them.

I would feel a lot differently if you had spent $2500 for the car (a member here bought a 1997 with tranny issues, but paid only $800 for it)

All it would take is one small accident and your insurance company would probably total it and you would lose.

You said the car is a red 1992 LS-L. Has it been repainted? it will never reach the standards of your pearlie but you may be okay with that.

just my opinion...

SVX92-97 07-15-2011 12:21 PM

Wow, Im sorry to hear that, but from the description of the car, you way overpaid for it. Based upon all those issues, I wouldnt have paid more than $1800 for it. Who did you use for shipping, a $1k sounds a little steep. I use uship.com they have a great reputation. I will shipping my svx 400 miles and it will be about $575 You should have kept that pearlie, it was beautiful.

svxcess 07-15-2011 12:27 PM

That's a little better. You original post said it was a 92 LS-L (might want to edit that)

Based on this further information, it's probably worth it to keep it and fix it.

I am reversing my original thoughts.

solarsvx 07-15-2011 12:34 PM

i originaly paid 4,000.00 for it last week, i talked them down from 5,000

i paid 500.000 to ship it from chicago to orlando fl,

taxes around 300 plus registration and title maybe 200.00 so almost 1,000 more for TTT and shiping,

this was the going price for a 94/95 svx with 100k on it,

thanks for your support and help guys

icingdeath88 07-15-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsvx (Post 681935)
i will see if i can get the ac going tonight if its something simple i know its the blower motor for sure, maybe just a fuse? or bad wiring?

I have a blower motor too. If you want to come to Tampa one Sunday, I'm sure we can knock out a lot of your problems and do some maintenance stuff as well. Lemme know if you're interested. I've gotten pretty good at fixing things on these cars in the last couple years.

solarsvx 07-15-2011 12:49 PM

ice i need a glove compartment latch and drivers side power window switch,

i will post some pics of the new svx and the hail damage soon for you guys,

im really heart broken on this car i really did have high hopes,

the white one i sold icing death i bought sigh unseen from an old lady in ohio and it was in great shape !! this one is a disaster,

solarsvx 07-15-2011 01:03 PM

is there any quik and easy way to see if the timming belt has been done ? any inspection plates?

thanks guys

Conn SVX 07-15-2011 01:20 PM

Y did u buy it? What did they say about it in the ADD.
I thought my power steering rack was gone on my Pearlie too . Turned out to be a pin hole in one of the lines and an O ring in the pump. I changed them all for $300.00. Got a quote last year to paint the rook on my car it was $1,000. They have to pop the sun roof out and with yours then fill all the dimples .The A/c may be an o ring and a charge and a fuse in the blower or a plug came out. Exhaust might only need a magnaflow piece. Still sees high . Post a picture when you get a chance GOOD luck with it.

ensteele 07-15-2011 01:31 PM

That is too bad! Sorry to hear about the condition of it. Did they send you any pictures of it before you bought it? If not, it will be hard to prove that the damage was there before shipping. :(

bwb3 07-15-2011 01:32 PM

East Colonial Auto Parts in Orlando has parts from a Red '94.
Gene

solarsvx 07-15-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 681947)
Gene

thanks gene i will call them now,

ensteel, i saw 20+ pics on there website and autorader add but all of there were from a distance, i should have asked for up close pics, i was aware of the scratched bumber needed to be replainted but not the hail damage,

my last thought was of hail damage, and the car fax was clean,

i got some tough choices to make, dump a lot of money into it or get out while im ahead,

im going to detail the motor tonight so i can get more of an idea of the work needed and see if the a/c problem is an easy fix,

solarsvx 07-15-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 681947)
Gene

gene just called them they dont have one =<