The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driveshaft center bearing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44670)

processengr 05-07-2008 02:12 PM

Driveshaft center bearing

Hi all,
My daughter's 92 occasionally clunks while moving in reverse (like a bad CV joint) occasionally ticks with vehicle speed that can only be heard when coasting with windows open, on bridge or near wall to reflect sound, and vibrates when accelerating, sometimes...Most time, all is quiet.( Especially quiet when we are trying to figure out where the noise is coming from...:confused:
I am having a hard time pinning down exactly what is causing the noise. My daughter whose hearing is better than mine, thinks the noise comes from the console area, maybe center bearing?
Does the driveshaft need to come out to test center bearing?

TomsSVX 05-07-2008 02:18 PM

Check the transmission mount... This is usually the culprit when the rubber seperates

Tom

processengr 05-07-2008 04:57 PM

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the fast response! I could not find it or diagram on Subaruparts.com. I didn't go under car yet tonight...How hard is the mount to replace? How much is the mount?
Even without knowing cost$ and difficulty, it sounds less painful than driveline woes...

TomsSVX 05-07-2008 05:43 PM

Part # 41022PA081

Will prob cost close to $100 from the dealer but you can order it online for $88 + shipping.

Diagram: #3

http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i410-A.gif

Tom

sabin 05-07-2008 05:53 PM

i just discovered my mount is ripped in half
so how much of a pain is it to put a new mount in ?

TomsSVX 05-07-2008 06:09 PM

not too bad but u need to work your way around things if you leave the ehxaust on

Tom

YourConfused 05-07-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabin (Post 546302)
i just discovered my mount is ripped in half
so how much of a pain is it to put a new mount in ?

I hate to remove my exhaust as it is just 1 big piece and all, so I replaced mine the first time in about 25 minutes. We, it took forever to jack the car up, so total time was about an hour. not too hard at all, just like a 14mm and a 12mm socket, long extension and a ratchet.

processengr 05-16-2008 11:15 AM

Hi all,
Tom was right (as usual) my rear transmission mount has separated. Got a new one from Liberty Subaru ($82+7.35 shipping) Going to install it this weekend, question: Where is best place to lift trans to get old one out/new one in?

NikFu S. 05-16-2008 07:12 PM

I would suggest putting the car on jack stands (so you can fit underneath), using the jack to support the trans lightly, maybe with a block of wood so you don't dent the oil pan and then just unbolt the cross member.

I just took mine off last Sunday and the mount was barely even supporting any weight, and it is only a few years old.

That said, my mount is still attached to the trans. I haven't looked at it as it's still sitting under the car, how exactly do you remove it?

Hocrest 05-16-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 547843)
I haven't looked at it as it's still sitting under the car, how exactly do you remove it?

There are 4 bolts (#9 in the diagram) that hold the mount to the trans. Use a 12mm socket on a long extension.

processengr 05-29-2008 05:10 PM

Hi all,
Replaced the separated transmission mount. Still clunking in reverse, occisional ticking asnd clunking . Some of the vibration is gone, that must have been the mount. Sooo, what are my options on the driveshaft, do I have to remove it to check it?

TomsSVX 05-29-2008 05:16 PM

yes, you are going to need to remove it and check the front universal joint for notchy or any kind of rough movement...

Tom

processengr 05-29-2008 05:26 PM

What are options/$$ on driveshaft with staked U-joints? New is ~500+ after shipping.

TomsSVX 05-29-2008 05:46 PM

rebuild them... Any shop with experience and a press of 12tons or greater can do it for you... Just make sure once the old joints are pressed out, the stakes are honed as to not mis-shaped the new ones... the joints can be picked up at advance auto parts

Tom

svxy 02-08-2009 02:58 PM

Re: Driveshaft center bearing

Might be a silly question but do all years have transmission mounts. If I am looking at the right spot, my 96 does not have one.