The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Help with insurance (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33483)

AutoTchr 06-01-2006 05:33 PM

Help with insurance

My current insurance company (AIG) wants as much money to insure my truck as my svx.

The SVX is driven daily.
The truck is driven once every two months MAYBE to the lumber store.

Less than 100 miles a year for sure. This ticks me off to no end because it makes no sense what-so-ever. I can only drive one vehicle at a time.:mad:

So what can be done here? People with sports cars that drive them only on sunny days......what do you do? Pay insurance year round?

And on top of it all the representative told me that if I cancel the insurance on the truck that he would have to notify the DMV and they could revoke my license. For owning an uninsured vehicle that I don't drive????(won't drive if it is uninsured)

So any suggestions?????:confused:

Bipa 06-01-2006 07:00 PM

Hmm.... would you be able to get seasonal plates? Here in Germany you can register your car for just a few months, for example from April to September. The plate has embossed on it the months that the registration is valid, and then you only pay insurance for those months. Many people with convertibles or motorcycles do that here.

A friend of mine has two cars - a nice one for summer and an old beater for winter. They are registered with seasonal plates so that in the end he always has only one car on the road. (and only pays insurance for one car at a time without overlapping.)

I have no clue if Oregon allows such a thing, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The trick lies in registration. If your car is registered for year-round, then it must be insured for the whole year.

Manarius 06-01-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoTchr
And on top of it all the representative told me that if I cancel the insurance on the truck that he would have to notify the DMV and they could revoke my license. For owning an uninsured vehicle that I don't drive????(won't drive if it is uninsured)

Last time I checked, I could own a vehicle insured or not. Now, I can't drive it if it isn't insured, but I can still own it.

Hocrest 06-01-2006 07:42 PM

My insurance company is able to put my cars into a "off road" status where the insurance premiums are reduced 50%. I just did this with my SVX while it was parked for a few months waiting for an engine and trans. The car was still registered, and it was still insured. But I agreed not to drive it without notifying them that it was back "On Road".

When I first went to their office to drop the insurance since I was expecting the car to sit for a while, they told me that I couldn't drop the Insurance without showing proff that the registration was also dropped. Rather than cancel and then have to re-register, I went with the other option that they suggested.

Mr. Pockets 06-01-2006 10:46 PM

I do something similar with my SVX. Since I only drive it in the summer these days, I take liability and collision off it, leaving just comprehensive. That way, if the garage collapses, the car is covered.

I just have to all them up and tell them I'm storing the car for awhile. When I want to drive it, I call them up and reinstate the liability and collision, effective that day.

Electrophil 06-01-2006 11:01 PM

I thought I would pull a fast one when my SVX got totaled. I had personalized tags, and since a totaled car is un-insurable, I was suppose to turn them in. I didn't want to give them up.....and....

I didn't. Waited it out until I could get the car back up and inspected. Rebuilt it, did the inspections, put insurance back on it, and hit the road to the DMV.

I was informed there that I went over 90 days without insurance, my tags were revoked, and I was a DMV outlaw.

Cost me an extra $250 to pay off my "outlaw" DMV status, and I still lost the tags.:( The bad part is, I would have lost them regardless unless I could keep the car insured.... Which of course, I couldn't.

Bipa 06-02-2006 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Last time I checked, I could own a vehicle insured or not. Now, I can't drive it if it isn't insured, but I can still own it.

I think you've missed the part about registration. Many US states have a database of registered cars which is often updated directly by the insurance companies. If AutoTchr were to simply cancel his insurance, then the insurance company might even have to by law inform the DMV database. If no other insurance company updates the database saying the car is insured, then the registration gets revoked, the plates become invalid and you may even have to pay a fine for driving an uninsured vehicle.

bwb3 06-02-2006 07:41 AM

When I switched insurance companies it wasn't 2 weeks before I got a letter from the DMV informing me my registration was being revoked unless I provided proof of insurance. Was able to do that on-line.

When I did the title transfer on my '64 Ford project truck, they said I had to register it which, in turn, required insuring it. After explaining that it was going thru a year + rebuild (now going on 2) they said they had a title classification that says you own it but can't take it on the road. No insurance required. Will switch it over when I'm ready.
Gene

AutoTchr 06-02-2006 07:48 AM

I am calling around to insurance companies today. If I can't find anything I will be selling the SVX since I MUST have a truck. It seems to me that someone should have a policy for this case.

I have a friend that has 4 vehicles. I will ask him what he does. It seems insane to pay the same amount for a vehicle that is parked most of its life as one that is driven daily. The DRIVER should be insured not the car.

somehow this comes down to one word.....profit.

Suby Fan 06-02-2006 08:24 AM

do what my friends with 15 some odd cars do... dont insure a single one of them! why? because with todays living expencises who can afford insurance... i cant... with my driving record last time i got a quote it was $2,700 :eek: that was after the good student discount! luckly i share the same name as my dad so insureance is more like 400 dollars ever 6 months :D

Royal Tiger 06-02-2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipa
I think you've missed the part about registration. Many US states have a database of registered cars which is often updated directly by the insurance companies. If AutoTchr were to simply cancel his insurance, then the insurance company might even have to by law inform the DMV database. If no other insurance company updates the database saying the car is insured, then the registration gets revoked, the plates become invalid and you may even have to pay a fine for driving an uninsured vehicle.

That is exactly right. Damn you woman!!!! :D

Royal Tiger 06-02-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suby Fan
do what my friends with 15 some odd cars do... dont insure a single one of them! why? because with todays living expencises who can afford insurance... i cant... with my driving record last time i got a quote it was $2,700 :eek: that was after the good student discount! luckly i share the same name as my dad so insureance is more like 400 dollars ever 6 months :D

Sure, don't insure it. You might even like jail. Which is where you will end up in PA if you are involved in an accident involving an injury while uninsured.

ensteele 06-02-2006 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoTchr
I am calling around to insurance companies today. If I can't find anything I will be selling the SVX since I MUST have a truck. It seems to me that someone should have a policy for this case.

I have a friend that has 4 vehicles. I will ask him what he does. It seems insane to pay the same amount for a vehicle that is parked most of its life as one that is driven daily. The DRIVER should be insured not the car.

somehow this comes down to one word.....profit.

I have Farmer's Insurance. They allow me to insure them and then put them into storage which only cost about $10 per month and have full insurance. When I want to put one back on the road, I just call them and they make the changes. Hope this helps. :)

AutoTchr 06-02-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suby Fan

Sorry not an option.

AutoTchr 06-02-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I have Farmer's Insurance. They allow me to insure them and then put them into storage which only cost about $10 per month and have full insurance. When I want to put one back on the road, I just call them and they make the changes. Hope this helps. :)

That's what I want.
I will call Farmers. I knew there was something like this available. AIG flatly denied that there was even such a policy.

Earl, Can this be done on a day by day basis?