The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MOMZ wanting to know what you guys think about her SVX issues."??" (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34770)

momzsvx 08-16-2006 08:14 PM

MOMZ wanting to know what you guys think about her SVX issues."??"

:confused:

Okay, I "MOMZ" needs some help here. My car has been giving me some issues. I am having electrical issues in my 1994. The battery died on me and then the alternator had some form of electrical melt down on a few wires. My husband was able to take the alternator out of my parts car and install it. This is the second issue that we have had with this car with wires getting fried. Is this a common problem and what needs to be done to fix this? I am disturbed because I want to drive my car. My husband purchased me my own little tool kit so that I may fix it when he is at work. I have three kids and even though I have AAA, I don’t like the idea of being stranded. Also my battery terminal or wire is corroded. What do you think I should do? My husband does not mind fixing my baby. Since you guys are driving this car as well as I. I would like to know what you guys think.

n00b on demand 08-16-2006 08:50 PM

you can get new battery terminals...or you can buy a can of battery cleaner and clean off all the corosion.

dunlopSVX 08-16-2006 08:54 PM

my svx was having the same problem.I just replaced the wire with another one and changed the alternator wire ''born'' ''attach''and hes not heaqting anymore:D .its juste because (i thinks) the wire bolt wasnt tight enough .sorry for my bad english im from quebec and i usually talk french:o

momzsvx 08-16-2006 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlopSVX
my svx was having the same problem.I just replaced the wire with another one and changed the alternator wire ''born'' ''attach''and hes not heaqting anymore:D .its juste because (i thinks) the wire bolt wasnt tight enough .sorry for my bad english im from quebec and i usually talk french:o

You speak French... :) :) :)

My husband does plan on changing the wire by splicing the old and adding the new. This procedure just makes me uncomfortable going this route, honestly.

momzsvx 08-16-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
you can get new battery terminals...or you can buy a can of battery cleaner and clean off all the corosion.

The battery terminals....how hard are they to replace? My conversion van also has this issue and my husband uses a battery cleaner to clean off the corrosion. I cannot stand a quick fix...I wish it would be fixed and stay that way...lol...I know as long as I drive my svx I know its going to have some issues down the road. I just would like to make it all simple and enjoy my ride for as long as I can.

msvx95 08-18-2006 09:10 AM

Clean the terminals with a wire brush.....and wipe off the residue when you are done...just don't get to close and breath in...it's brutal...lol

Also, check all of your fuses in the fuse box near the battery....My car was funky when I first purchased it with electrical problems...turned out I had to replace the fuseable link...that's the U-shaped wire about 2" long near the fuses under the box cover. Also check to see if the fuses are blown.

P.S. California is cool....I'm leaving to come home tonight, but I'm near Malibu by the mountains and the ocean!:D

momzsvx 08-18-2006 09:42 PM

Thanks Matt, I am looking forward to learn about how your trip went. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures...

spinn360 08-20-2006 12:28 PM

Also just thought I would throw in that you should check and make sure all the ground wires (espescially from the battery) are good. Some may need to be reground if there not making good contact on the frame/body/engine. My 2 cents.

svx_commuter 08-23-2006 11:42 AM

Hello Momz :) I try to remember and clean off all the battery terminal on all our family cars around this time of the year. It is just good maintenance practice and I have learned the hard way.

Oh I would just look and think "it looks clean" but your battery cable is prime example of what happens. The corrosion starts and continues until it starts traveling up under the insulation and then NO POWER, bad wire and then NEW wire.

That bad cable in your SVX can be replaced and YES it shound be replaced. Otherwise the splice will get corroded too. It is very hard to seal the cable splice unless shrink tubing is used.

I always smear silicone grease over the battery terminal after cleaning them. This helps to cut down on the corrosion.

As said above, check the ground wires and the fuse box. Pull each fuse one at a time and check for corrosion on the fuses. If you find it, clean the connector in the box.

momzsvx 08-25-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Hello Momz :) I try to remember and clean off all the battery terminal on all our family cars around this time of the year. It is just good maintenance practice and I have learned the hard way.

Oh I would just look and think "it looks clean" but your battery cable is prime example of what happens. The corrosion starts and continues until it starts traveling up under the insulation and then NO POWER, bad wire and then NEW wire.

That bad cable in your SVX can be replaced and YES it shound be replaced. Otherwise the splice will get corroded too. It is very hard to seal the cable splice unless shrink tubing is used.

I always smear silicone grease over the battery terminal after cleaning them. This helps to cut down on the corrosion.

As said above, check the ground wires and the fuse box. Pull each fuse one at a time and check for corrosion on the fuses. If you find it, clean the connector in the box.

Thanks you have made some great points...my husband at one time was an aviation mechanic so he did use the shrink tubing. I have not seen it done before and well lets just say...I love him...but question :eek: :eek: all that I do not know...I do not know a lot...lol....:D :D :D :D

ensteele 08-26-2006 01:30 PM

I hope this will fix your problems and you have renewed faith in your SVX. :)